Change rooms

Help with YSF / Fusion issues
2e0saf

Change rooms

Post by 2e0saf »

Hello all i have just bought a mmdvm nextion unit from karl dvmega uk

I am wondering how i control the unit using my ft1d

Can i connect to it using wires x or can i only change rooms by using the pi homepage..?

Any help please

Regards sean
2e0saf

Re: Change rooms

Post by 2e0saf »

ok i have found out i need to press the wires x button however it is very temperamental it takes maybe 20 presses of the wires x button to connect then it wont connect properly to rooms or view the available rooms to connect to..!

yaesu ft1de radio

anyone else having same probs like this
MW0MWZ
Site Admin

Post by MW0MWZ »

Yes - I have that exact issue with my DV-Mega, I can't seem to get the BER low enough for that to be reliable, DTMF gives me similar problems too, again with the high (4-6%) BER that I am seeing, DTMF is pretty much un-usuable.

Swapping to an alternative modem made my issues go away entirely, I have not (yet) had the time to spend swapping firmware on the Mega to see if there is an improvement with older firmware (I have a few different copies) neither have I stepped back through versions of MMDVMHost.

It may be a bit of a lottery matching the radio and the DV-Mega - so for most people it may work perfectly, but for some of us, it may not - I dont have enough information yet.
Andy

73 de MW0MWZ
http://pistar.uk
M0KSP

Post by M0KSP »

Andy, what firmware are you running on your Dv-Mega also what radio are you using to give you 4-6% Ber rate!
I have my Dv-Mega on 0.0% ber to 0.4% rate with all 4 of my radios! and all 4 fire up Wires x Button the first time every time!
MW0MWZ
Site Admin

Post by MW0MWZ »

Karl,

My DV-Mega has been through an awful lot to be fair, its been hardware modified (sma removed, compact ISM (433) coil antenna soldered to the board) etc etc, I can in no way suggest that anything mine does (or doesn't do) is normal :)

Its also old and has been flashed I just dont know how many times, 3.19 is on it at the moment, using a Yaesu FT1D here.

I'm having the same kind of BER issue on other modems too, if I tune the modem for great BER on voice - its bad for DTMF, similarly good BER for DTMF leaves it poor for voice, I suspect that the deviation on this radio is a little out of whack too, but still, without the odd challenge, where would the fun be :)
Andy

73 de MW0MWZ
http://pistar.uk
VE1AIC

Post by VE1AIC »

Testing YSF DTMF today on two of my repeaters and its very erratic. The regernated tones are intermittent and the "9" seems to bounce a lot giving me 299 instead of 290. Not the tone pad problem, as I used 2 different radios and 2 different modes/repeater setups.
Getting good BER with C4FM is a challenge. The BER of C4FM varies much more than other digital modes on my MMDVM systems.
I know Jonathan struggled with C4FM at the beginning and it does a decent job with voice as it is now.

So thanks Andrew for linking in the FCS server/group list, much easier now for FCS connections.
We also don't need to bother with the Wires-X commands either.
73, Ron
YSF-FCS-Select.jpg
YSF-FCS-Select.jpg (199.17 KiB) Viewed 10732 times
VK7HSE

Post by VK7HSE »

I tried using half deviation mode with dtmf seemed to be a bit reliable on my ZUMspot with the yaesu ft-70dr. Although YMMV I've found that the ADF7021 chip is not the best on decoding when the incoming signal is over deviated (sending dtmf over C4FM for my ft-70dr is definitely overdive)

I need to do some more testing to see if what I've just said is actually true! and not just a one off thing...

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

pd5r

Post by pd5r »

Since I use the Pi-star image I was never able to use the X-button from my FT1D and FT991. On the same hardware congifuration but with plain MMDVM image it did work! I could get the Wires-X list and connect to all of the listed items.
I can see Pi-star receiving the data from the radio's. So now and then there is a succesful transmission and I get Wires-X activated. But then again, when i send another request from the FT1D or FT991 Pi-star simply won't react. No listing, no connecting using manual numbers.

I tried to play with settings in Pi-star expert settings and also in the settings of both radio's. Makes no difference.
It seems Pi-star sends it's answer to the radio's request to quick or something like that. I think that because I can see en very short transmission taking place from the DV-Mega after my radio stops transmitting the innitial request.

All used software and firmware are up-to-date.

Anybody?
W3KIT

Post by W3KIT »

I am currently running Zumspot kit from HRO, just got done putting it together. Updated / Upgraded to the current revisions. Mostly I am using FT2DR so I could walk around the house.

At any rate, pressing WIRES-X button from FT2DR works 7-8 times out of 10 with a single pressed. I could change any room that was listed under FSF listing but not always reliable. Therefore I prefer not to use the WIRES-X mode.

I just use the DTMF to changing the room with better results plus I could changing the room to FCS as well. I don’t have any other System Fusion ready radio beside my FTM-100DR which is permanently connect to the WIRES-X node (HRI-200) at the house and FTM-400XDR mounted permanently in my SUV.

For FT2DR I use DTMF in an AUTO mode, 250ms delay and 100ms speed seem to be the best sweet spot. Although some time BER were high but I was able to changing the room 90% on the first attempt.

DTMF memory made life easier as FT2DR have touch screen and often I got fat finger touching wrong number. So programmed DTMF memory is the way to go. I just looked up the number on the list and off I go – pre-programmed the DTMF.

For example I programmed it to #02034 if I want to connect to Alabama-Link and A290 if I want to connect to America Link WIRES-X.

Hotspot have about .5 sec delay comparing side by side to my WIRE-X node at the house. So, I am pretty happy with pi-star and Zumspot so far.

Good job to all developers!!!
VK7HSE

Post by VK7HSE »

How many modes do you currently run? If it's 3 or more this will be the reason, the time spent on each mode during the scan period is enough to cut off part of the wires-X packet, if you press the PTT so you get a lock on YSF then proceed with the wires-X commands it works as expected.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk