Bridging Wires-X to YSF

Help with YSF / Fusion issues
N4NQY

Re: Bridging Wires-X to YSF

Post by N4NQY »

I have been fooling around with this problem for 6 months or so. I was going to ask what firmware your HRI-200 has but I do not believe it makes a difference. The HRI-200 will only allow you to access Wires-X Nodes/Rooms. If you substitute a Duplex MMDVM board for the HRI-200, then you can only access YSF/FCS Rooms. I have had no luck with a Zumspot by the way. The Duplex MMDVM looks like a repeater to Brandmeister and is therefore a little more flexible.

There is no simple way to bridge the two (Wires-X and YSF), or at least no one I can find that thinks it is possible. There obviously are ways (ref. YSF Rooms with Bridges) but it appears to be a complex convoluted way to do it by taking one down to audio and sending it out again to the destination port and reverse the process the other way. Not even sure if you can do this with one HRI-200 (or a FTM-100/440 with new firmware). With enough equipment and money, you can do it, but not a simple way that Pi-Star can solve the problem with. Perhaps the Northwest Digital DRAWS board with a Pi B+ can do it with some software development. I have one and trying to figure out if it can work. I don't think Pi-Star is the answer however, at least not at this time.

If anyone has a relatively easy way, please post it. It appears there are dozens of Hams trying to find an easy bridge without success.

jb N4NQY
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

Earlier releases of yeasu firmware made it possible that an mmdvm RF TX could be Rx'd by a yeasu node radio / or repeater (with attached hri200) sending the YSF/FCS traffic to the wires X network and the repeaters TX be Rx'd by the MMDVM sending the wires traffic to the connected YSF / FCS reflector. Later firmwire releases have stopped our node / repeater from 'seeing' mmdvm traffic. Node/ Repeater wires traffic Rx'd to mmdvm is still heard on the YSF/FCS, but nothing travels back into the wires network.

Andrew M1DNS, (Mod)

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
W0JRG

Post by W0JRG »

I have a PDF tutorial on how to do this. Message me you email and I can send you a copy. PDFs can't be attached to this forum it appears.
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

W0JRG wrote:PDFs can't be attached to this forum it appears.
Whilst that is true, the resources here don't support it. It is possible to work around this by uploading it to an online storage account, Google drive, AWS, Dropbox etc. Make it public, then post a link to that resource here.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
N3MEL

Post by N3MEL »

I was able to bridge my DMR talk group using YSF2DMR with 2 Pi-Star hotspots, gateway on one set to 1 and the other to 0 in the mmdvm host file in the YSF section. The only small issue is when someone is transmitting into my wires room when he un keys my HRI-200 keys up back up to the internet for about 2 sec and the station that un keyed can hear the last syllable of his last transmission.

Anyone have an idea where this key up may be coming from or is it just the network latency?

Thanks in advance.
K0RQ

Post by K0RQ »

N3MEL wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:40 pm I was able to bridge my DMR talk group using YSF2DMR with 2 Pi-Star hotspots, gateway on one set to 1 and the other to 0 in the mmdvm host file in the YSF section. The only small issue is when someone is transmitting into my wires room when he un keys my HRI-200 keys up back up to the internet for about 2 sec and the station that un keyed can hear the last syllable of his last transmission.

Anyone have an idea where this key up may be coming from or is it just the network latency?

Thanks in advance.
It's the network latency. The YSF coming back a few seconds late is looping back into the WIRES-X portion of the bridge. I have the exact same problem with my bridge. It's not super annoying, but something I've been trying to get fixed to no avail.
M1FEV

Post by M1FEV »

Hi ,

Coming to this a little late, and I’m also a new joiner to the forum. Did anyone have any joy in achieving the Wiresx /YSF bridging or get a copy of the PDF which was referred to?
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

Futhur to all above the very latest firmware provided by Andy ca6jua seems to of solved the problems experienced by many. The new updates seem to now work without issue for rf bridging MMDVM and yaesu dr1x, dr2x repeaters.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
G8SEZ

Post by G8SEZ »

M1DNS wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:03 am Futhur to all above the very latest firmware provided by Andy ca6jua seems to of solved the problems experienced by many. The new updates seem to now work without issue for rf bridging MMDVM and yaesu dr1x, dr2x repeaters.
Do you mean the latest released firmware or the beta 1.5.x one?
--

Brian G8SEZ
KC1JFN

Post by KC1JFN »

W0JRG wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:11 am A fellow ham (WQ0A) and I figured this out today finally. You CAN do with with the ZumSpot in Duplex mode!!!

The missing setting for us was in "Configuration" > "Expert" > "MMDVMHost" > Section: "System Fusion" > Set "RemoteGateway" to 1

Best we can tell is that this enables the radio to decode the repeater output (which is different than from a regular radio). It won't hear you direct on the repeater output frequency when this is on, so beware if testing that way. That is fine if you are using it to bridge to a wires-x repeater.

We also had to tweak the "RFOffset" under the "modem" section based on our individual board. From what I understand, that can be different for each physical board. Tweak it in - or + increments of 100 and watch for the BER % (Bit Error Rate) to drop into single digits.

Learning the hard way,
W0JRG
Thanks a lot for you help, it did work!!!!

I have been searching this for weeks

Again Thanks