Bridging Wires-X to YSF

Help with YSF / Fusion issues
kv4pn

Bridging Wires-X to YSF

Post by kv4pn »

Please forgive me if I’m in the wrong group for my post.

I’m trying to use Pi Star w/ZUMspot to bridge my Wires-X node to YSF. My node is using the FTM-100DR. The hotspot is working into YSF great, and all users in my room can be heard on the reflector but the return path is not working. For those of you who have a Wires-X application running, when you key a Yaesu compatible radio local to the node the “local” status light comes on followed by a Green Internet status when connected to a room. When the hotspot transmits a message from the YSF, the “local” status lights up (indicating the traffic is getting though the node radio) but no internet status is indicated. So, users in the room can’t hear the reflector traffic.

I’m looking for anybody who might know what is going on here. Can something in the MMDVM be adjusted? I know I can implement my own YSF reflector but don’t see how this would change things.
on6dp

Re: Bridging Wires-X to YSF

Post by on6dp »

Hi,
I would like do exactly the same.
I have the same problem. It's running on one way but not back
If anybody can help us ... it's great
Paul, ON6DP
W0JRG

Post by W0JRG »

I recently attempted the exact same thing with the same results.
I believe the issue to be that the ZumSpot does not support "duplex" operation after consulting with a fellow ham. I ordered a generic MMDVM board with 2 antennas that supports "duplex" (half-duplex) operation and will report back with the results of using that with Pi-star for linking to a Wires-X repeater once it arrives.
KF5MIL

Post by KF5MIL »

I am also having the exact same issue. Would sure love some help from someone smarter than I.
KF5MIL

Post by KF5MIL »

From what I have derived so far I believe my issue is in the hri unit. I have talked from wires x to ysf and I have talked radio/hotspot to radio/spot using ysf. But when the ftm400 is switched to ftm 400 is turned into hri mode it acts like it then hears the hotspot in fm only. Have ber rates in green on both user hotspot and bridge hotspot. I’m stumped for now. Anyone else have any ideas???

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KF5MIL

Post by KF5MIL »

kv4pn wrote:Please forgive me if I’m in the wrong group for my post.

I’m trying to use Pi Star w/ZUMspot to bridge my Wires-X node to YSF. My node is using the FTM-100DR. The hotspot is working into YSF great, and all users in my room can be heard on the reflector but the return path is not working. For those of you who have a Wires-X application running, when you key a Yaesu compatible radio local to the node the “local” status light comes on followed by a Green Internet status when connected to a room. When the hotspot transmits a message from the YSF, the “local” status lights up (indicating the traffic is getting though the node radio) but no internet status is indicated. So, users in the room can’t hear the reflector traffic.

I’m looking for anybody who might know what is going on here. Can something in the MMDVM be adjusted? I know I can implement my own YSF reflector but don’t see how this would change things.
I believe your we are seeing the same issue. To me it seems like the hri unit is not seeing the rf from hotspot as cf4m.

W0JRG

Post by W0JRG »

A fellow ham (WQ0A) and I figured this out today finally. You CAN do with with the ZumSpot in Duplex mode!!!

The missing setting for us was in "Configuration" > "Expert" > "MMDVMHost" > Section: "System Fusion" > Set "RemoteGateway" to 1

Best we can tell is that this enables the radio to decode the repeater output (which is different than from a regular radio). It won't hear you direct on the repeater output frequency when this is on, so beware if testing that way. That is fine if you are using it to bridge to a wires-x repeater.

We also had to tweak the "RFOffset" under the "modem" section based on our individual board. From what I understand, that can be different for each physical board. Tweak it in - or + increments of 100 and watch for the BER % (Bit Error Rate) to drop into single digits.

Learning the hard way,
W0JRG
KF5MIL

Post by KF5MIL »

Awesome! I will sure give it a try and report back.

KF5MIL

Post by KF5MIL »

Well I tried setting remote gateway to 1. It allowed Wires-X>ysf, but now no ysf>Wires-X.

Remote gateway=0 Ysf>Wires-X
Remote gateway=1 Wires-X >ysf

kv4pn

Post by kv4pn »

Nice work but I do have some questions, to make this work did you set the transceiver in wires to repeater mode? If so then to implement a working bridge one would have to have two simplex hotspots so it looks like a repeater to the wiresX node? Do I understand this correctly? Joe