Shorten/Limit WIRES-X List

Help with YSF / Fusion issues
NQ4T

Shorten/Limit WIRES-X List

Post by NQ4T »

I've looked around for this one but I haven't gotten anywhere.

Is it possible to shorten the WIRES-X room list for either YSF mode or the bridges. Every time I pull it up it loads the *entire* list and I usually wind up just going to the computer to manually find what I want so I can punch in the number. I don't really need the thing to blast me the entire YSFReflector directory or every TG on Brandmeister. I'd like to reduce that.

Jay/NQ4T
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Re: Shorten/Limit WIRES-X List

Post by M1DNS »

Unfortunately not. The update server pulls from the online registration server and builds the hosts lists with that data on each update.

There is the ability to search a group in the wires X radio menu.
One of the reasons it was suggested to preceed the group name with ur country ie GB Fusion group USA Fusion group IT Fusion group etc.

So a GB search would bring back a list of all GB groups
Same for USA , IT etc. But many failed to follow the suggested formating, so leaving the names fragmented, But. if you know the name of the particular group Ur looking to link with it can be useful running a search sometimes.

Andrew M1DNS, (Mod)

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
NQ4T

Post by NQ4T »

The problem is the search is *horrible*.

I run two YSFReflectors. I stayed with the convention, they show up as "US NQ4T XLX725A" and "US NQ4T XLX725D". Doing a search for "NQ4T" or "XLX725" won't find my reflectors. You can't search with a space either.

Effectively...the search doesn't really work. So if I'm not near a PC...I'm stuck with the list...which is overpopulated. The FT2D shows a handfull at a time.

It's worse for DMR Talkgroups.

Something should be done about this. It's not very user friendly. We can control the bridges through WIRES-X...but what good is that if I still have to pull my phone or laptop out to find out what group I want.
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

Ok but pistars original intended use-case was never to drive a network bridge. But was always intended to be used with human interaction. which started small, but now has nr to 7000 users crossing the globe, so having a complete multi language/ nation host file makes sense.

In this particular use case as theres no need for user intervention, no need for any user interface or maintained updates... a vanilla install of mmdvm host might suit you better. There You can make edits to anything you choose.

Andrew M1DNS, (Mod)

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
NQ4T

Post by NQ4T »

Ok..right....I'll give you that. I guess I just got entirely too used to D-Star operation.

Going on with the line of vanilla MMDVM; I poked around the configs. I had first thought about figuring out how to take advantage of the "news" stuff in WIRES-X to see if I could have it just push me a txt file with the DTMF codes. I got about as far as realizing I could probably tell the config for YSFGateway and ysf2dmr to point to entirely different host files that I've customized. Or write a script to copy the updated host files daily and append "my most commonly used" to the beginning of the file so they would, at the very least, show up first. That would accomplish the basic idea of what I want while still letting me access the occasional "oddball" group without having to manually flip configs and restart the services.

*edit: this idea works if I make sure I append a 0- in front of the name so it shows up.*
N4NQY

Post by N4NQY »

I too find it a little frustrating. Is it possible to make a change where the Local Hosts file front ends the list. That way, you can create the Local Hosts file with just those Rooms you are interested in and they will always appear at the top?? It will keep from doing 95+ % of the searches.

But I am starting to remember all those numbers. Can't remember why I went to the store but 13953 sticks in my memory

73 jb N4NQY
N4BKR

Post by N4BKR »

Using an FT2DR with an openspot 2, you can actually save your favorites into categorys.

Knowing that is possible with the radio, maybe in the future a release of pi-star will be able to do 'the same thing?
MW0MWZ
Site Admin

Post by MW0MWZ »

NQ4T wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:24 pm The problem is the search is *horrible*.

I run two YSFReflectors. I stayed with the convention, they show up as "US NQ4T XLX725A" and "US NQ4T XLX725D". Doing a search for "NQ4T" or "XLX725" won't find my reflectors. You can't search with a space either.
I guess I ran into the "you can't search with spaces" before but it never bothered me enough. But I am now molesting the host-file for YSF in flight so that it has no spaces in it, spaces replaced with "-" so that you can now search past "US". That should improve things for starters while I go look at the search function in YSFGateway, we should be able to search for the middle of a string, not being able to is daft.
Andy

73 de MW0MWZ
http://pistar.uk
NQ4T

Post by NQ4T »

N4BKR wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 9:55 pm Using an FT2DR with an openspot 2, you can actually save your favorites into categorys.

Knowing that is possible with the radio, maybe in the future a release of pi-star will be able to do 'the same thing?
So I had actually figured out, at one point, how to actually make the FT2D save to categories. It was a little bit tricky since the radio seems to want to only let you add stuff from the WIRES-X screen which doesn't always seem to work.

Part of the reason I was trying to figure this out is two-fold; one is that I was asked by my local club to give a "zumspot" presentation and I wanted to cover the operation of the cross-mode for Fusion radios. Our club took advantage of the Yaesu deal and got one of the repeaters a couple years ago, a bunch of us ran out and bought Fusion radios. The amount of cross-mode available with a Fusion radio might be of interest to those people as they can now play with DMR. I was just trying to figure out how to make it "easier" for the OM to understand. The other is that I'm taking a cross country trip at the end of June for Field Day. I'm naturally taking my hotspots with me and was trying to figure out the best way to simplify operation so I could change YSFReflectors or YSF2DMR TGs "on the go" in the same manner I might do it from a DStar radio.

I got about as far as trying to write my own hosts file...then I did something trying to add the DMR bridge to the hosts and somehow looped things to get myself locked out of BM for a day. By the time I had gotten around to noticing I was unbanned...I had acquired an MD-380. My personal interest waned and I wrote most of the presentation while just making some notes that YSF (cross-)modes were "cumbersome", but I made sure to note that due to the open-source and constant development of Pi-Star that this would improve over time.
MW0MWZ wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 7:11 am But I am now molesting the host-file for YSF in flight so that it has no spaces in it, spaces replaced with "-" so that you can now search past "US". That should improve things for starters while I go look at the search function in YSFGateway, we should be able to search for the middle of a string, not being able to is daft.
I don't know why I didn't think of that other than I wasn't sure just how search worked. I could have probably made a copy of the hosts file and used sed to replace spaces. But I didn't know how to use sed when I briefly worked on that last month. For my personal purposes (which was my main drive); it's pretty much a non-issue now and I stopped working on it. With a DMR radio I can just set up my codeplug and dynamically link TGs to my heart's content. My FT2D will be busy anyway serving as my main V/U FM rig as well as blasting APRS on 144.390. I also assumed the search was a limitation of my FT2D.

What I'm working on now (and mostly have working 100%) is "molesting" the dashboard to scrape connected TGs/Reflectors so I can packet them directly to APRS-IS as a comment while pulling gps information from yet another RPi that'll be in my car with a GPS HAT attached to it. I actually have the basic script done and operational...you have to install a few extra packages to the hotspot, but as of right now it'll happily grab the GPS information, parse it in to the format needed, scrape the connection information, and packet it to APRS-IS directly using ncat. My plan (now) is to add some stuff to the bash script to check to see if /tmp/aprs exists and isn't empty; with /tmp/aprs being written by some very simple php files. As of right now I have most of that working...I can write the file just fine; I just have to get the if statement in bash working. I'm documenting that in a thread on Tips/Tricks.

But thanks for digging in to the search function. I'm sure this will make my occasional YSF use easier and be a great relief to those who use YSF on a full-time basis.
MW0MWZ
Site Admin

Post by MW0MWZ »

NQ4T wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 2:25 pm But thanks for digging in to the search function. I'm sure this will make my occasional YSF use easier and be a great relief to those who use YSF on a full-time basis.
You are welcome, the changes to swap spaces to "-" is already done, so searches are already better than they were, just update and the newer host files with no more spaces in them will arrive.

I did go looking for the search code, and didnt find it, but I am pretty sure the search is done by the gateway and not by the handheld, since the gateway only sends 20 entries at a time, the search cannot be performed on the radio.

I'm quite sure the search can be improved from where it is...
Andy

73 de MW0MWZ
http://pistar.uk