Override IP address of a YSF Reflector

Help with YSF / Fusion issues
n0keg

Override IP address of a YSF Reflector

Post by n0keg »

Hey everyone,

I'd like to override the IP address of a single reflector found in the YSFHosts.txt file. I've done this in the past for a DCS reflector by adding an entry to the /root/DCS_Hosts.txt file then run a pistar-update. The same method doesn't apply as I tried to add a new textfile, /root/YSFHosts.txt with a new entry for the inside IP of my reflector.

Does pi-star actually look for a YSFHosts.txt file in /root like it does for the other modes?
Or should I just disable updates of /usr/local/etc/YSFHosts.txt and make my edits in there?

Any words of wisdom would be appreciated!
MW0MWZ
Site Admin

Re: Override IP address of a YSF Reflector

Post by MW0MWZ »

n0keg wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:44 pm Hey everyone,

I'd like to override the IP address of a single reflector found in the YSFHosts.txt file. I've done this in the past for a DCS reflector by adding an entry to the /root/DCS_Hosts.txt file then run a pistar-update. The same method doesn't apply as I tried to add a new textfile, /root/YSFHosts.txt with a new entry for the inside IP of my reflector.

Does pi-star actually look for a YSFHosts.txt file in /root like it does for the other modes?
Or should I just disable updates of /usr/local/etc/YSFHosts.txt and make my edits in there?

Any words of wisdom would be appreciated!
I don't have provision for that at the moment, I am sure I can add it in tho, I guess you are the lucky first person to need it :)
Andy

73 de MW0MWZ
http://pistar.uk
n0keg

Post by n0keg »

Haha, yeah... I'm just lucky sometimes. Just some background, my reflector and YSF repeater are on the same network segment behind a firewall. Long story short, due to some creative firewall configs NAT reflection doesn't work properly so I can't talk to my publicly NATed addresses within the same private subnet. So I want to change pi-star to use the private address instead of the public.

Ya know, come to think of it while I type this. My YSF reflector is registered by domain name. I could enter an entry in the local hosts file for DNS on the pi to resolve the private address instead of the public.
n0keg

Post by n0keg »

The /etc/host file workaround runs like a champ.

Thanks for being awesome and doing great things with Pi-star!
MW0MWZ
Site Admin

Post by MW0MWZ »

n0keg wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:31 pm The /etc/host file workaround runs like a champ.

Thanks for being awesome and doing great things with Pi-star!
And thanks for being equally awesome and saving me some work (for now) :)
Andy

73 de MW0MWZ
http://pistar.uk
Kt7az

Post by Kt7az »

I need to do this also.
What is the name of the host file you put in the /etc/
What is the format for the text inside the file.

I have tried this with the format as the daily download but with no success.

Thanks
KT7AZ
Kt7az

Post by Kt7az »

If you find the time I could really like you to configure PI-star use the YSF over ride file. /root/YSFHosts.txt
I am not using a Domain name but a static IP so I cannot use the method the other gentleman used.

Thanks,
Gary
KT7AZ
AE5JO

Post by AE5JO »

I have a similar situation where I need to point hotspot at local IP address for YSF on the same LAN in order to get it to work correctly. I edited /etc/YSFhosts.txt and it works nicely but won't the YSF hostfile be overwritten on the next update? Or if I shut off the update (not sure where to find the shut off switch) then I won't be able to move around to other reflectors should their address change, correct?

Is there is a way for me to edit the YSF host file for the one YSF reflector (or set of reflectors) but allow the reset to auto-update?
BX3ACB

Post by BX3ACB »

Dear Andy

/root/YSFHosts.txt still not looked and override
Is it plan to add this function?

It is useful for people build private reflector

Thanks for the great pi-star
Kt7az

Post by Kt7az »

I was using the hosts file to override the YSFHosts for several months, then suddenly it quick connecting to the local LAN address of the server on same network. Has anyone else had this happen?

The YSF server resides on the same network as the Pi-star. Adding the local address in the hosts file worked, but has stopped working as of a month ago or so. Just doesn’t make sense.

Pi-star has no problem connecting to any other YSF room outside the LAN.

Thanks,
Gary