YSF2DMR Issue

Help with YSF / Fusion issues
kb5wck

YSF2DMR Issue

Post by kb5wck »

I am trying to setup YSF2DMR and am having an issue I cannot figure out. I can transmit to the DMR group but cannot hear any audio. Is there anything specific I need to do on the YSF radio to be able to hear the audio?
Thanks,
KB5WCK
DMR ID: 3158487
W9MO

Re: YSF2DMR Issue

Post by W9MO »

I am also having the same YSF2DMR issues with my Yaesu FT-70. When receiving on the FT-70, the blue LED blinks when YSF2DMR traffic is being received, but no audio passes through to the speaker. I can transmit and am being heard on the talkgroup, but the muted receive problem has me stumped.

My Yaesu FTM-400XDR when connected to the same hotspot has no issues whatsoever and can receive and transmit YSF2DMR traffic as expected.

Any thoughts?
W9MO

Post by W9MO »

I forgot to mention that my I noticed this YSF2DMR audio issue with Pi-Star:4.1.0-RC6 and my Yaesu FT-70.
W0RMT

Post by W0RMT »

This is a second-hand report, but a couple of users on our system (Colorado Digital) were talking about this issue with respect to all YSF cross modes (YSF2DMR, YSF2NXDN, YSF2P25). They said they could transmit on each but not hear the other stations. Rolling pi-star back to 4.0.0 xx solved the issue for them.
Robert (Bud) M. Talbot III
W0RMT
Colorado Digital system admin
http://coloradodigital.net
DMR: BM 31088
DSTAR: XRF/DCS303D
YSF: 99256
NXDN: 31088
P25: 31088
n4bos

Post by n4bos »

New to the group so please bear with me if I post in the wrong area or commit some other faux pas.....

I'm going to cover several "observations" so bear with me.....

I WAS running 3.4.17 with a JumboSpot and a Pi Zero board. It worked fine on YSF alone but when I went to YSF2DMR, I discovered several issues. The result of the issues was that although ALL indications on the 'Spot itself and the Dashboard, were that it was operating correctly, I was not being heard on the chosen DMR Talk Group. After MUCH troubleshooting, I discovered that if I put in a different DMR ID (from a friend), it started working BUT even though I had HIS ID set in the configuration, Brandmeister showed MY ID as connecting. I changed the DMR ID back to mine and it all worked correctly. I was able to duplicate this several times by changing DMR Talk Groups. Multiple times it happened and was always correctable by putting in a different DMR ID and then changing it back to mine.

It was suggested that I change to the beta 4.1.XX software so I installed the new image (4.1.0-RC4) on an 8 gig card and installed it in the Pi-Star. I waited for it to appear as a hotspot and when it did, I went through and made all the necessary changes including the Wi-Fi setup but did NOT reboot until I had completed everything. When I rebooted the device from the reboot menu within Pi-Star, it came up but I couldn't find it on my network. I transmitted and the Pi-star said it was connected to 169.254.64.9. I have never heard of that network as my system is 192.168.0.XXX. I don't remember if I did a HARD reboot but I think I did and it still showed it was connected to the wrong IP address. Incidentally, I live far enough from my neighbors that there is NO CHANCE it was actually connected to that IP address.

I then erased the card again and installed the image a second time. This time, I created the Wi-Fi setup and installed it on the root of the card and the device booted up on my network (correct IP address) and I was able to complete the setup, saving the changes in each section as I went through.

After completing the setup, in looking at the dashboard, it DID NOT show YSF2DMR under Network Status, only YSF Net. I saved changes again, and YSF2DMR appeared.

Now it gets weird....

I made a call on TG 31066 and got no response and I didn't show up on Brandmeister. By the way, I have found Brandmeister to be somewhat unreliable in terms of seeing myself but when the hotspot is working, I almost always show up there.... usually with no audio heard but my ID appears. I verified all settings in the hotspot and no luck. I made several calls on TG 31066 and got no response. It appeared that it was not working even though all indications on the hotspot were showing correctly. Then I changed my DMR ID to a random, made up number and tried again. Still no connection. It's been suggested that was because it probably was not a valid DMR ID. I changed the DMR ID back to the correct ID and it worked. The beta software was doing the same thing as 3.4.17.

I decided to run the new software for a while and see what happened. After a few hours, I noticed I was not hearing any traffic and when I looked at the hotspot, it APPEARED to be receiving and working normally. Looking at the radio (in this case a FTM-3207D), the blue light was flashing and although the radio was receiving, there was no audio. I looked in the radio manual and the flashing blue LED means ""Receiving signals with unmatched audio or data conditions". I did a hard reboot of the hotspot and it came back up and appeared to be working normally as I could make a call and be heard and could copy traffic. After an hour or two, back to the flashing blue light. With that, I reinstalled my card with 3.4.17 in the hotspot and it has been working normally ever since.

I did not try changing DMR Talk Groups in the beta software but I'm pretty sure if I did, SOMETIMES it would not work and changing the DMR ID and then changing it back would bring it back on line. It has been suggested to try erasing my DMR ID and then reinstalling my DMR ID but I haven't tried that. Maybe if anyone else is experiencing this phenomenon they can try that and report.

So.... Long story but I relate it to hopefully help others and MAYBE help figure out what's going on. Maybe it's ME but if it is, I don't know what I'm doing wrong but I'm open to suggestions.

Steve
n4bos

Post by n4bos »

Continued oddity....

I discovered that the "DMR ID" under "YSF2DMR" on the left of the ADMIN page was the ID of my friend that I had installed to get the YSF2DMR function to work in the first place even though the Configuration page shows my ID everyplace. I looked through the EXPERT pages and NOWHERE does his ID appear. I rebooted the Pi-Star. The "wrong" ID stayed. I deleted "YSF2DMR" under MMDVM Host Configuration and Saved Changes. Then I turned it back on. The ID under YSF2DMR on the admin page was now my correct ID but, I couldn't contact anyone on the DMR TG and I didn't appear on Brandmeister. I put a fake ID back in the configuration and then saved changes. No connection to the DMR TG. I then changed back to MY DMR ID in configuration and now the DMR ID shown under YSF2DMR on the ADMIN page is the FAKE ID but, I can connect to the DMR TG and, the talkgroup (as well as Brandmeister) now shows MY correct ID ... even though the Admin page shows the wrong one. This is with 3.4.17 as described in the above post.

Anyone make sense of that????

Steve - N4BOS
n4bos

Post by n4bos »

Well, after MUCH testing, I can report that I can easily reproduce the issue as can another friend with similar equipment. Here's what happens....

I can burn a new image of 3.4.17 OR 4.1.0 -RP4 (using either Etcher or Windows Image Maker) and then go through the setup for YSF and then update and upgrade and either image works perfectly. I then turn on YSF2DMR and save changes, put in my DMR number, change the YSF Startup Host to "YSF00002 - Link YSF2DMR", change the DMR Master to BM_United_States_3102 and change the DMR TG to 31066 and save changes.

After the hotspot comes back, it WILL NOT connect to 31066 (or any other DMR TG). I can change my DMR ID by ONE number, save changes, change my DMR ID back to my correct DMR ID, save the changes again and it connects and works fine.

If I look at the Admin panel, at the bottom under YSF2DMR, it displays the WRONG DMR ID I had to put in to make it work but when I connect, Brandmeister shows my CORRECT DMR ID.

By the way, this happens identically using either a Pi-Zero or a Pi- 3B.
After all the updates and upgrades, I'm now running 4.1.0-RC6.

I can reproduce this over and over......

Steve-N4BOS
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

The idea behind having an id field in the YSF2DMR panel is so you can run a separate id or an id+ssid when running both DMR and YSF2DMR modes. So it should see them as separates. If you have the same id in both setup panels the server will see duplicate logins using the same id. Try configuring the YSF2DMR panel id with an ssid.

Andrew M1DNS, (Mod)

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
n4bos

Post by n4bos »

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the suggestion. If I understood your suggestion correctly, I added an "01" (and also tried 02) to my DMR ID under the Yaesu System Fusion Configuration panel. That made no difference and I was not able to connect to the DMR TG.

I then changed the DMR ID back to my ID with NONE for an SSID in the Yaesu System Fusion Configuration panel and it would not connect. Then I changed my DMR ID by one number in the General Configuration Panel. It would not connect.

Then I changed my DMR ID to the correct number in the General Configuration Panel and now I can connect fine but again, under Admin, it shows my DMR ID as off by one number..... the "wrong" number I had put in the General Panel.

That's exactly what I have been seeing all along.... the only way I can connect to a DMR TG is to put a wrong DMR ID in the General Panel, save changes and then put the correct ID in and save again. Then it works fine until I make any other changes to the setup and I have to go through the same thing again.

I hope I understood your suggestions and I explained this well.

Steve - N4BOS
K7AAT

Post by K7AAT »

New Pi-Star user here, 4.1.0 RC4. I, too, am experiencing this issue with failure to receive YSF2DMR audio on my FT3 HT. Like W9MO, it DO receive Ok on any of my FTM100 radios. Have been beating myself to bits trying to resolve until I came across this forum post. At least now I am not alone.....
Ed, K7AAT