bad audio listening MMDVM_HS on FT-991A

Help with YSF / Fusion issues
CT2HRB

bad audio listening MMDVM_HS on FT-991A

Post by CT2HRB »

Hi, I have an MMDVM_HS_Hat hotspot and when using it on YSF mode then audio is very good if I receive it on my FT-1DE, however if I try to receive it on my FT-991A the audio is crappy, sounding like if there are some few bit errors on the audio... it's strange why no problem at all on FT-1DE, maybe it is more robust at doing error correction or something... I did already try to play with freq. offset and mod. deviation on the MMDVM_HS but no improvement... also I can tell that if I use FT-991A to receive real C4FM repeaters or direct transmissions from other C4FM radios it receives ok, the problem is only really with the FT-991A and the hotspot combination.. and only for RX, no problem at all with TX from FT-991A to the hotspot. Also I did find a video on Youtube of a guy showing exactly same problem when using FT-991A to receive from a DV4Mini...
Any ideas? (or please post if you can get good audio on FT-991A from a similar hotspot) Thanks!
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Re: bad audio listening MMDVM_HS on FT-991A

Post by M1DNS »

There was a random post a while back suggesting to set the squelch level to 20.

No idea if it worked, just remembered it and did a group search.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
CT2HRB

Post by CT2HRB »

Hi Andrew, Thank you for your reply, I did also read it on some places and did already try it before (tried multiple squelch values actually) with no difference, anyway I think that is related to WiresX commands failing (I did never experience it on mine though) not to the audio issue I describe.

This video shows exactly the same strange audio (and also compares with an FT1D), exactly as I'm getting:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8ZcbNEVUVY
W1WKW

Post by W1WKW »

i am hearing what you are on my ft991A, my ft70DR sounds far better, listened to both via AMERICA LINK ON MY ZUMSPOT-RPI, the 991A was muddy rx
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

Yep, were reviving an old post here but, if you make mention of this to yeasu i can gaurantee you their answer will be because ur using a hotspot device, yet ur ft70 works fine. A local friend has one and we dont seem to be able to pin it down, and spent a lot of time trying.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
CT2HRB

Post by CT2HRB »

Thanks for your replies, I didn't check forum for a while and only noticed them now.

I can also add that now I do also own a DVMega hotspot and it's exactly the same as MMDVM_HS when listening on FT-991A. I guess it must be something on the FT-991A really as no other radios have the problem, it's a shame a radio of this price with a crappy (and very poor in features) C4FM, not to talk of the 100 memories limit, Yaesu seems joking with customers...
PD2ARI

Post by PD2ARI »

bad audio is common on the yaesu ft-991 a i know adleast 4 with crappy audio on a node is litle better