Noises with FT-70D

Help with YSF / Fusion issues
m7ian

Noises with FT-70D

Post by m7ian »

Hi I’m brand new to digital and have just bought a FT-70D

Thanks to covid lockdown my nearest fusion repeater is a little out of range when I am stuck at home (but not when I’m out)

So I bought a mmdvm raspberry pi hotspot and got pi-star u and running on it relatively easily

However ...

(1) Although I can get into any room via the pi-star control panel I cannot do it manually F-AMS seems to be either ignored or rejected

(2) I keep hearing what I can only describe as digital grunt like noises all the time. I first thought it was some kind of noise at the end of each over but then I heard it happening during conversations as well.

I’ve posted a question on Reddit’s Yaesu forum and got a couple of responses saying it wasn’t likely to be the handheld as others have had the noises with hotspots but not with Yaesu repeaters.

Any idea what this noise could be and how to stop it. I’ve tried turning off the YSF2*** Gateways leaving only the YSF and wires-x passthrough on
VK7HSE

Re: Noises with FT-70D

Post by VK7HSE »

Make sure you have disabled AMS on the frequency, otherwise you will get some data received as FM instead of C4FM.

Cheers

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

MW0MWZ
Site Admin

Post by MW0MWZ »

Also make sure you do some tuning, all my boards are a little bit off frequency on TX, most of them are a little bit off on RX also.
you can tune the RX by tuning for lowest BER from the radio, the TX requires the use of an SDR stick, but -200 seems to be the average of mine, and set the YSF TX level to about 54% - all of mine seem to have the deviation correct at 53 or 54%.

See if that helps, it certainly cleaned mine up quite a lot.
Andy

73 de MW0MWZ
http://pistar.uk
W7RD

Post by W7RD »

By the way, I have the same exact problem as the OP.
KJ7OOB

Post by KJ7OOB »

New ham here and I had the same issue, but solved it. Troubleshooting (like children) will take all your patience.

Here is my rig;

Raspberry 3B+
STM32-DVM/MMDVM_HS (14.7456Mhz)
Pi-star 4.1.2 fresh install

Here is the list of steps I did to solve this issue, for me. (please note this issue developed <the noise/feedback during and @ the end of received transmissions> after 2 days of wonderful operation)

1. cycled my radio's modes until AMS was confirmed off (issue persisted)
2. followed MW0MWZ's suggestion of tuning RX and TW offsets (issue persisted)
3. Updated Pi-star, it was a big update from fresh install of version 4.1.2, rebooted pi (issue persisted, and quite frustrated at this point)
4. Flashed my modem (model 14.7456Mhz) from version 1.4.7 to 1.4.17, rebooted (issue persisted, getting cold beer)
5. deep breath and half a beer later, I powered off the Pi and unseated the modem and re-seated it. Then powered it back on (issue resolved, finished beer)

After step 5 I am getting consistent and clear transmissions from the rig. And now its completely updated :-) This may not be the fix for you but all these steps helped me get to the one that fixed my issue. I hope this helps someone, 73
KJ7OOB

Post by KJ7OOB »

UPDATE, the issue reoccurred the next day and reseating the modem has not resolved it. I am continuing to troubleshoot and will update again if I find a solution.
KJ7OOB

Post by KJ7OOB »

I have done a complete reflash of pi-star 4.1.2 and update it and the feedback/squawk noise during and at the end of received transmissions. I am going to wait for another payday and order another mmdvm board. There are periods of time where I get clear transmissions but it seems to have nothing to do with heat of the rig or tuning. If anyone has further information or suggestions I would be very appreciative.

Cheers,
KJ7OOB
G8SEZ

Post by G8SEZ »

Try carefully reheating the joints to the TCXO that feeds the clock signal to the ADF7021 RF chip. Sometime these TCXOs are a bit picky about soldering and occasionally they are faulty, some time ago I had to replace this 14.7456MHz TCXO on one of my MMDVM_HS_HATs.
--

Brian G8SEZ