Weird audio on Zumspot with FT70

Help with YSF / Fusion issues
W7RD

Weird audio on Zumspot with FT70

Post by W7RD »

Hi,
I've had this problem ever since I got my Zumspots at HRO a while back. I have two Pistars set to YSF mode and using two different Yaesu FT70 radios with the two hotspots both on YSF. I thought it was normal at first, but on both radios, both pistars, and different reflectors, and get this "horn-honking" sound every 15-20 seconds. And now and then the audio drops out for a second. However, if I use a DMR radio and DMR2YSF mode, the audio sounds perfect ... way better than the FT70s. Has anyone has any problems with strange audio? It seems like garbled data, but I'm surprised that I haven't seen anyone else mention this.
Thanks,
Steve
G8SEZ

Re: Weird audio on Zumspot with FT70

Post by G8SEZ »

Check that you're not using half deviation, or narrow mode, on C4FM.
--

Brian G8SEZ
W7RD

Post by W7RD »

Hi,
Thanks for your reply. I checked both radios and they are both in the wide mode. It seems like something is weird on the Zumspot or even pistar, though I doubt it since this has happened with many versions.
Thanks,
Steve
W7RD

Post by W7RD »

Well I guess I'm the only person running FIVE Zumspots that have crappy-ass YSF audio. In oder to get around this, I am using two DMR hotspots in DMR2YSF mode to my FT70s ... and yes, DMR sounds good on those radios. Then, I use the two YSF hotspots in YSF2DMR, and yes, C4FM sounds good on the DMR radios. Why can't YSF sound good on the radio it was intended?
KD8DVR

Post by KD8DVR »

I have an ft70 and audio sounds just fine on YSF. On 2 hotspots. Neither are zumspots, though.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

AntiSquid Disclaimer: All messages posted are personal opinion only and may not constitute fact.
KJ7OOB

Post by KJ7OOB »

you're not the only person experience this honking issue. I am having it too and have tied everything I can think of even replaced mmdvm board. No amount of tuning, firmware flashing (back and forth) and/or changing drivers has any affect on this. I am using a pi 3b+ with 14.7456Mhz mmdvm with pistar 4.1.2. I only have YSF running and nothing else. My radio is an FT3DR.
KD4IIW

Post by KD4IIW »

Are you saying that on zumspot the radio should not be in DN mode?

Kenneth
N4VKF
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

YSF will handle both DN and VW modes but obvs only others using the same mode will be able to hear one another in that same mode.
Also only DN will crossover to DMR / NXDN and only VW will cross over to P25 if using any crossover modes.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
OZ1HMN

Post by OZ1HMN »

Seems no resolution on this issue?
I have one zumspot in operation, and three jumbospots in the drawer. All four have this loud honk sound on the FT-70 and a FT-3D.
I have recently got a openspot3 and this one does have this at all, tested on both radios.
So it must be something on the MMDVM boards I guess?
W1WKW

Post by W1WKW »

does AMS ON/OFF affect this ?