WiresX Passthrough operational questions...

Help with YSF / Fusion issues
w9mt

WiresX Passthrough operational questions...

Post by w9mt »

I apologize if these are dumb questions, but I am new to WiresX Passthrough mode on Pi-Star's Fusion functionality...

I can connect on my MMDVM with my FT-70DR using Fcn-AMS. I see the mode switch from "R W9MT" to "N W9MT" indicating I am in "net mode" and see the YSF Net indicator go from red to green. Then I can switch FCS reflectors using the En *nnnnn command. All of this works fine and I am enthusiastically pleased with it.

Question 1: "Can I / How do I" do this with YSF reflectors?

Question 2: When I'm done, how do I unlink the MMDVM with my FT-70DR? A long press on the 70's MODE key gets the radio out of WiresX mode, but the MMDVM looks like it still stays in net mode until lack of activity times it out.

Question 3: Is there a tutorial anywhere about how to "run WiresX Passthrough" mode? I'd sure like to know if it goes beyond FCS/YSF reflectors and could connect to a friend's WiresX node or room.

I'm willing to teach myself if I can be pointed in the right direction. Thank you.
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Re: WiresX Passthrough operational questions...

Post by M1DNS »

There's no way to link directly to a wires x room. Yaesu run a closed network that doesn't permit direct access to anything except their own hardware solutions. You'll need to have your friend create an rf bridge via an FCS YSF to his room, then you can connect to him through that.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
NQ4T

Post by NQ4T »

w9mt wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:10 am Is there a tutorial anywhere about how to "run WiresX Passthrough" mode?
Like stated; WIRES-X is a proprietary closed system. You can only access a WIRES-X room on a YSFReflector if the operator of the reflector has the equipment to provide a bridge.

WIRES-X Passthrough mode however refers to the "WIRES-X interface" on the radio. Normally with WIRES (WIRES-X just indicates it's digital), you change rooms using DTMF commands. However the fancier digital radios (basically any of them with a large display) Yaesu has a "WIRES-X Interface"; instead of using DTMF commands you use a simple and moderately confusing GUI. It allows a repeater and/or room owner do do things like offer "news" and a few other features...but mostly it allows you to pick a room using an interface.

Pi-Star is able to emulate the WIRES-X interface so you can use the DCS/YSF network in a similar fashion. It responds to and provides the same data as a WIRES-X repeater...except it's not really WIRES-X.

"Wires-X Passthrough" basically means that instead of Pi-Star automatically handling the WIRES-X commands...it will "pass them through" to the thing you're connected to. Right now the only thing I ever saw this really did was for XLX's YSF support; if you connect to a YSF cable XLX server with WIRES-X passthrough...you'll get all the modules and related information for that XLX server.

It's literally just passing through emulation of the interface to pick a reflector; it doesn't actually allow you to get on WIRES-X.
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

Pass through is also used for controlling crossmode links. Like selecting DMR TG's if using ysf2dmr or other modes when using ysf2...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
KO4NCC

Post by KO4NCC »

Another very new to Pi-Star Ham. My real interest is in this post was Question 2:

"Question 2: When I'm done, how do I unlink the MMDVM with my FT-70DR? A long press on the 70's MODE key gets the radio out of WiresX mode, but the MMDVM looks like it still stays in net mode until lack of activity times it out."

I have an FT-3DR and want to do the same thing 'unlink' the Pi-Star via radio when I'm done so the Pi-Star does not stay linked to the last YSF Network.
Jeff KO4NCC
WJ7N

Post by WJ7N »

Long press the BAND key, then short press the BACK button several times to get to your main screen. Short press the red X button to disconnect.

The long press of the MODE buttton is what actually disconnects you. All the rest is just backing out of WiresX.
K9EQ

Post by K9EQ »

Just a small correction. ALL Yaesu radios capable of Fusion are able to issue WiRES-X commands. Not just the advanced radios with GPS and larger displays.

Chris, K9EQ