YSF2DMR mode not working for me

Help with YSF / Fusion issues
K7LPK

YSF2DMR mode not working for me

Post by K7LPK »

No matter what I do, I cannot get YSF2DMR mode working. Running an MMDVM Pi Hat on both a Raspberry Pi Zero W and also a Raspberry Pi 3 B (two systems, different RF frequencies and IP addresses). The Raspberry Pis are both running the latest 4.1.4 code.

I have reasonable internal temperatures, and BER well below 1% on both. YSF mode is selected, as well as YSF2DMR. Dashboard is showing YSF, YSF XMODE, YSF Net, and YSF2DMR are all showing green. I'm connecting to a US Brandmeister server, I have a password entered under Hotspot Security, YSF0002 is my startup host, and I have an initial Talk Group of 31000 (Parrot), though I have tried others.

YSF mode works for me, and I can easily access both YSF and FCS reflectors. Try as I might, I cannot get YSF2DMR to work. I'm using a Yaesu FT-991A radio in C4FM MODE, Digital is set to DN (appears to be set by the hotspot). I can even see the Brandmeister Talk Groups appear on the radio's display, but when I try to select them, I get an offline error. Not can I manually enter a talk group...I get the same error. One thing I notice is that when I try to select a talk group, the radio briefly transmits to the hotspot, but it never receives anything back. I can manually select TG00002 from the radio, but can never get beyond that as well.

So, has anyone been successful in getting YSF2DMR working on a similar setup? What have you done differently to get your working?

Thanks,
Larry
K7LPK
G0JDL

Re: YSF2DMR mode not working for me

Post by G0JDL »

I also use an FT-991A with YSF2DMR and, like you, I also get the offline error message when I either select a talk group or manually type in a TG. However, despite the error message it actually does connect me to the TG. I'm not sure from your post if you actually try transmitting after you get the offline error message? It's worth a try if you haven't as may find that it works! The only difference in my setup is that I connect to the Phoenix (DMR+) network in the UK rather than Brandmeister.

It's a bit late for me to start playing around with radios here in the UK but tomorrow I'll try connecting my 991A to Brandmeister and see if it works.
K7LPK

Post by K7LPK »

I have tried talking with the Parrot Talk Group, but got nothing back. None of the other Talk Groups I've tried have gotten me a response either.

I just now tried connecting to a DMR+ server, but it works exactly the same, which is that it doesn't work.

Larry
K7LPK
G0JDL

Post by G0JDL »

Have to admit I'm a bit puzzled, Larry, though I'm also no expert. I connected to Brandmeister using the UK master and tried TG 2350 and I get a spoken "not linked" message from the radio but this is immediately followed by 4 rising tones indicating that I am connected. After that this TG worked fine. It also worked on the US 3103 master but when I tried TG91 on the US and UK master it was very hit and miss. Sometimes I could hear the QSO and other times I heard nothing. While trying this on the 991A I was able to monitor the talk groups on an Anyone 868 handheld.

Let's hope someone else has more (and better) ideas than me.
K7LPK

Post by K7LPK »

Solved it...operator error on my part. I had inadvertently used my Brandmeister password instead of my hotspot security password. But hey! It's actually working now in YSF2DMR mode.

My first test was on a Parrot, TG 31000, and I connected, spoke a few words and heard it come back to me. I then connected to other Brandmeister talk groups and heard a "Not Linked" audible message from my 991A, but when I put out a call for a radio check, I got a reply back.

Needless to say, I'm super happy. I can now access YSF & FCS reflectors, as well as the Brandmeister Talk Groups.

Appreciate your help in tracking this down. It looked like everything was set up correctly, and with the exception of the hotspot security password, it was.

Larry
K7LPK
G0JDL

Post by G0JDL »

Great to hear that you got it working, Larry.