FT3D / N5BOC / Zero WH and YSF2DMR question

Help with YSF / Fusion issues
WJ7N

FT3D / N5BOC / Zero WH and YSF2DMR question

Post by WJ7N »

Three days into hands-on DV. A few months of reading about it and three weeks of intensive reading relating to my equipment choices...

All updates installed, including firmware. I'm presently configured with YSF and YSF2DMR modes only. My DMR Master choice is TGIF network, with talkgroup 556 selected. I have the cross-mode server selected at start-up (the 002 one.) Everything seems to be working fine through the Dashboard, as I learn along the way...

In the past twenty-four hours, I have begun to come to grips with the difference in using FCS servers, and TGIF servers. It seems I must use the Configuration page to change talkgroups in TGIF. On the other hand, I can drive YSF and FCS servers through my radio.

I read a short thread on the TGIF Forums, where some coding permitted driving TGIF talkgroup changes through the radio. I do not know if these edits are implemented in the current pi-star release, or whether I should even use them. N5BOC did reply positively at the end...

I became interested in DV to join in on an specific TGIF talkgroup, "556", and started with DroidStar just to try it before I invested any money for real equipment. I can't seem to find or understand, if there is a simple solution to driving talkgroup changes between TGIF and the YSF/FCS talkgroups. I do have the WiresX pass through enabled in the Dashboard, but I'm not really sure if that only applies with the YSF/FCS servers...

If I fire up the pi-star, I can immediately connect to TGIF TG 556 by simply hitting the Wires-X button on the FT3D - TG 556 is already there at the bottom of the screen and it connects no problem. When done, I long press the "Band" key, which disconnects me from the talkgroup, and leaves the radio ready to connect to the last YSF/FCS talkgroup that I successfully connected to. If I want to go back to the TGIF TG 556 group, it seems the only way to accomplish it is to go to the Admin page and hit the connect to the YSF2DMR button, which by default, sets me up to enter the TGIF talkgroup.

I don't understand what is lacking between disconnecting from the TGIF network and having the radio display the YSF2DMR server, versus the similar boot-up condition or using the reconnect button in the Dashboard.

I hope I do not sound too stupid. I am self learning here, and this is like trying to speak another language, lol. Thanks for reading...
WJ7N

Re: FT3D / N5BOC / Zero WH and YSF2DMR question

Post by WJ7N »

SOLVED

For anyone who stumbles upon this thread, here is how it is done:

From the TGIF Talkgroup to which you are currently connected - indicated on the bottom line of the FT3DR.
Click on Search & Direct then Click Search & Direct once more on the second screen.
Click ID which will insert a # sign on the top line, then type your five digit talkgroup number. Use leading zeros if need be.
Click ENT, Waiting will flash several times then go out.
Press and hold the Red WiresX button. It will back you out to the Frequency screen.
Press the WiresX button once more. Connecting will flash. Then Connected will appear.
Look at the bottom line on your screen and you should see the new talkgroup listed.
You might have to click the microphone once to connect, or not.

I think the flow essentially means this:

You click Search & Direct to get to the entry screen.
The ID #XXXXX and ENT, sends the disconnect command, and remembers the new talkgroup.
You back out of WiresX, and when you press the WiresX button again, it connects you to the new talkgroup.

I just did this four times, back and forth, and it worked for me on Pi-Star:4.1.4 / Dashboard: 20210212.

Safe trips