P25 Linked to will not change (cannot unlink/change TG)

Help with P25 issues
VE3ZTZ

P25 Linked to will not change (cannot unlink/change TG)

Post by VE3ZTZ »

4.1.0. & latest everything else. Dual HS hat (N5BOC).

From time to time, you suddenly cannot change TG (reflector session). UNLINK (TG 9999) has no effect. Reboot nor
systemctl ${doWhat} p25gateway.service/timer/nothing has no effect. Consequently, the only usable TG is the default TG from the EXPERT menu. If set to NONE, then NO TG session can be established at all. Once it happens, it remains true for quite a while. Then suddenly it will /just/ resume usual operation.

From shell cli, 'ping' and 'traceroute' all succeed to the intended reflectors IP. BER is in the green at < 0.4%

I only operate P25 so I can only speak to P25 mode TG and p25gateway operation.

Help greatly appreciated.
Last edited by VE3ZTZ on Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VE3ZTZ

Re: P25 "Linked to" will not change (cannot unlink/change a talkgroup or the reflector session underpinning it)

Post by VE3ZTZ »

Okay, we have figured out the when a TG (and the underpinning reflector session) can be changed vs. cannot be changed. "Changed" includes TG 9999 disconnect request/post.

If the MODE-specific NETWORK hang time is active, the pi-star accepts RF-side TG changes including 9999 disconnects. It operates as one would expect and should. This hang timer triggers as a consequence of internet (NET) side traffic only.

However, once the hang time expires, the TG will not be changeable from the RF side unless and until the network side goes active, either due to, a) new/first time traffic following a reboot/reset, or b) the resumption -- and re-establishment of the hang timeer-- of TG NET activity.

Is there an "infinite" hang time value (as work around, since I am single mode only).

Help please.
Last edited by VE3ZTZ on Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VE3ZTZ

Re: P25 Linked to will not change (cannot unlink/change TG)

Post by VE3ZTZ »

Info bump.

This issue is unrelated to duplex vs. simplex hats. Problem occurs with both.

Thanks
VK7HSE

Post by VK7HSE »

I've attempted to replicate the problem you are having, but unfortunately I just can't. I run P25 on a zumspot (Original 0.4 hardware) and I also have a Zumradio (0.9 hardware) that is running as a simplex VHF system (Tait TM8110) and I'm unable to reproduce you issue on that one either.

Is this a fresh install of pistar and not a restored settings from an earlier version?

If you happen to have a spare sdcard I'd suggest making a clean install and not perform any backup restore to see if the problem isn't there.

I monitor 10400

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

VE3ZTZ

Post by VE3ZTZ »

Okay, new SD card, and fresh download from pi-star UK, and the full suite {install,setup,pistar-update}, and ... [now] works like it should :D

Approx. 24 hours of proper functioning at every TG change attempt.

If there's secret log info somewhere, I'd love to know what broke, but I'll take the restored functionality win.

Thank you!

/S
VK7HSE

Post by VK7HSE »

The log files for Pi-star are available in /var/log/pistar and that will be populated with whatever modes you have active.

You may want to add tg9999 to your P25 list to disconnect from a given reflector, but it's not necessary to disconnect before keying up another...

Also tg10 is the local echo test and handy to have for if you need to check anything locally

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk