Pistar loses connection to P25 Reflector...

Help with P25 issues
KK6RQ

Pistar loses connection to P25 Reflector...

Post by KK6RQ »

(BTW, this is also posted over on groups.io; dunno if that's a problem; if it is, I'll gladly refrain)

Hope someone recognizes what's going on because I'm stumped at this point. I'm running a duplex Pi-star, P25-only, as well as another Pi on the same subnet w/ DVSwitch DMR-P25 bridge + P25Reflector. Everything works fine, I talk to my friends, etc., etc., but then randomly, sometimes minutes, sometimes days after boot, the pistar P25 is suddenly unable to properly access the P25 reflector. The error I get in /var/log/pi-star/MMDVM-[date].log is:

M: 2021-02-21 00:34:16.566 P25 packet received from an invalid source, 0100007F != 0100007F and/or 42020 != 6074.

The reflector continues to kick back my last syllable like normal but it doesn't make it out the network, nor can I switch to another reflector. A reboot always cures the problem (until the next time, of course). The reflector and the bridge continue to function for everyone else, btw. Anybody recognize this error or what might be happening here? Thanks.

ps. Other (outside) users are still able to use the reflector/DMR bridge.
KK6RQ

Re: Pistar loses connection to P25 Reflector...

Post by KK6RQ »

Additional error messages I just noticed--

MMDVM-[date].log:
Network watchdog has expired 1.6 seconds, 0% packet loss

P25Gateway-[date].log: Error returned from recvfrom, err: 88
Re-opening UDP port on 339628
Opening UDP port on 6074

ps. I never knew ports went that high (ie. 6 figures).
KK6RQ

Post by KK6RQ »

More clues emerge...

So apparently my perception of the 'when' wasn't as exact as I thought... It now looks like the problem happens 6 hours before midnight (my time, CST), when the log files roll over. Pistar seems to timestamp entries in the log files in GMT, whereas the files themselves are timestamped w/local time. As soon as the new file is created, bang!...I'm disconnected from my reflector/any reflector. If it's of any consequence, for the next 6 hours there's 2 sequential log files, then the older one disappears at midnight. Hope this makes a lightbulb go on in *someone's* head...
G8SEZ

Post by G8SEZ »

Do you maybe have a wrong time zone set up in your config? Looks like something sees a sudden change of apparent time and then falls over.
--

Brian G8SEZ
KK6RQ

Post by KK6RQ »

Would it help if I posted something...? (Cron admin is not my strong suit). Let me know...

Timezone question: No, it's correct; 1st thing I checked.
KK6RQ

Post by KK6RQ »

Nothing beyond what I've already posted shows in MMDVM/P25Gateway-(date).log. Any other log files I should check?

One thing that changes each night is the number after

Re-opening UDP port on xxxxxxx

Last night it was 7 digits!
f1rmb

Post by f1rmb »

Hi,

When you get such

Code: Select all

Re-opening UDP port on xxxx
message in any log, it means the connection has been closed (by the server). Maybe the server has some automatic maintenance if you get such connection issue at the same time each night.

For the details:
I've originally submitted that part of the code for the YSFGateway, as my logs were flooded with error 88 (ENOTSOCK), it was running in circles as the software was just continuing to reuse that closed socket (no reconnection).
In the end Jonathan (G4KLX) applied that fix to all his software using UDP sockets.

About the port number, it's the one the server assigned to that "connection".

Cheers.
---
Daniel
KK6RQ

Post by KK6RQ »

OK, I figured it out-- I was going through all the .ini files and noticed the reference to port 6074, for enabling remote commands, which I had enabled a few weeks ago to test out. Well, at the time it didn't appear to work, and having not researched that functionality (nor aware there was an answering setting in an .ini file on my P25 Reflector), I left it enabled and forgot about it... So I changed it to 0/disabled and the log errors went away immediately, without even a reboot(!)... Anyway, thanks for all the suggestions, everyone... Glad I figured it out before throwing my hands up and reloading Pi-star...
KK6RQ

Post by KK6RQ »

But in the end, wasn't my sole problem that 'Remote' (or Remote Commands?) was enabled in Pi-Star but disabled on my P25 Reflector...?
KK6RQ

Post by KK6RQ »

Sorry; P25Gateway.

BTW, I never got to starting from scratch for the same reason; I wasn't ready to give up yet, plus I wanted to know just WTF was going on. Glad I stuck with it...