P25 on Brandmeister

Help with P25 issues
W7DOA

P25 on Brandmeister

Post by W7DOA »

I don't know if this is the correct area to ask this question. But I am looking at setting up a hotspot. Pi Star seems to handle P25. However, can I use a P25 radio on the Brandmeister network? Or is that only for DMR? Do you just have to redirect TG's. I understand DMR, but I don't really know much about P25. Long story short, can you use P25 on the Brandmeister network, and if you can, where is a good tutorial for how to setup, program and use TG's?
N6MIK

Re: P25 on Brandmeister

Post by N6MIK »

Brandmeister requires a DMR radio for access. That said, there are some folks that are 'patching' other digital modes into Brandmeisger on specific talkgroups. For example - TG31665 is available in the pi-star P25Hosts and is connected to Brandmeister TG31665...
MW0MWZ
Site Admin

Post by MW0MWZ »

There is a load of work going into various cross modes at the moment, so maybe in the future :)
Andy

73 de MW0MWZ
http://pistar.uk
W7DOA

Post by W7DOA »

OK, thank you for the reply. Are there only certain TG's that are available like that? And are the TG's run through the P25 hosts rather than per channel like on the radio?

Where this is all leading to. I have a DMR radio in VHF, no one here uses VHF for DMR. So I would be building a VHF hotspot. I would much rather run a P25 radio in the truck to accommodate future expansion in the Fire and EMS world, which is what I also do. But if P25 is not really compatible right now with the ham world I would just continue to run the DMR radio in my truck until such time that I HAVE to switch to P25 for Fire and EMS or run to radios at that time.

It's all about running as few a radios in my truck as possible, while making that one radio do as much as possible.
N6MIK

Post by N6MIK »

There are a handful of 'patched' talkgroups that I'm aware of. They seem to be associated with a particular repeater group or club (as opposed to a geographic region, for example).

31665 is linked full time and has a multi-mode net on Fridays.

The patching is transparent to the end-user; you configure your radio with the desired TG and make sure your P25Hosts file has relevant TG info. I don't recall if 31665 is in the default hosts file; if you need help adding it, let me know.

Sounds like you need a Kenwood NX5300-series radio... DMR, P25, NXDN and Analog... for one low, low price! :lol:
W7DOA

Post by W7DOA »

Believe me, I have looked at the NX5300. It's the low low price that kinda kept me away from it. It would look dammed good sitting in my rig though. That's for sure. I'll give it a few years. The price will come down and they will have some other thing on the market. However, if I combined all that I have spent in the last few months on radios I probably could have bought a Kenwood NX5300