What is lowest BER folks have achieved with a Zumspot?

Help with P25 issues
4x1ks

Re: What is lowest BER folks have achieved with a Zumspot?

Post by 4x1ks »

I just tested it and it was 0.4%
4x1ks

Post by 4x1ks »

0.4% just now, but at time 0.0%
Mark
MW0MWZ
Site Admin

Post by MW0MWZ »

Personally I have found P25 to be more fussy for getting the BER straight - I also find that temperature will make the BER drift some too.
Andy

73 de MW0MWZ
http://pistar.uk
K9JTV

Post by K9JTV »

My DMR Radio (Radioddity GD-77) typically runs 0-.3 BER and my Yaesu FT-991A runs less than 1.0 BER, but my Yaesu FT-70DR will run 3-4 BER.

-Jeff
KC6N

Post by KC6N »

This thread is pretty old but it looks like you got mostly replies from DMR users. I just went through this with a ZUM Spot and calibrated it using the MMDVMCAL routine accessible using SSH in Expert mode. The best I see after calibrating is 0.25 or so but it is always green so I think I am OK. Before calibration, I saw 2.5 or so Yellow or Orange. My Cal offset ended up being +250.
KK6RQ

Post by KK6RQ »

aa3xn wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 6:27 pm After much tuning of RXoffset in Pistar the best BER i can achieve is 2.5%.

Radio is an Astro Saber which is on freq per service monitor.

What are others achieving? Any other parameters ro adjust in expert mode?

TNX
I know this is 3 years too late, plus what I'm going to say probably falls within the 'duh!' category, but there's more to tuning a P25 radio than putting the reference oscillator on frequency. Also VCO Compensation, VCO Deviation, not to mention Current Limiting & Power Set. I always do Ref Osc before AND after the other settings.
If you have access to a service monitor, just follow the directions in the Tuner program's help file. They're actually quite simple procedures.

ps. Astro Saber/XTS3000 and Astro Spectra CPS only work on 32-bit Windows. Windows 10 is fine, just has to be the 32-bit version. In addition, the Tuner program ONLY works on COM1-4. Stupid, I know, considering the regular CPS doesn't have that limitation. TIP: To save needing a 2nd PC, get VMWare Player (it's free) and put a 32-bit VM on your 64-bit machine. Works great.