TH-D74 not heard on XLX reflectors

Help with D-Star related issues
AE5JO

TH-D74 not heard on XLX reflectors

Post by AE5JO »

I'm hearing from a few people that they are not able to be heard on XLX reflectors using TH-D74 even though their Icom equipment is working properly. They can hear correctly, just not talk. I know it USED to work. Has anybody on here experienced that issue and if so, have you been able to resolve it? If not, could you tell me what firmware version you are running?
Thanks!
K2IE

Re: TH-D74 not heard on XLX reflectors

Post by K2IE »

I use a TH-D74 daily on my XLX reflector. No issues whatsoever under current or older firmware.
AE5JO

Post by AE5JO »

Have you used it with transcoding XLX server? Could you try it on XLX410A?
K2IE

Post by K2IE »

Try to connect to XLX020 Module A...I listen there.
N6XVZ

Post by N6XVZ »

I too have a TH-D74 and am not heard on XLX reflectors. I tried the two above suggested - I show up as connected but that's it.
Latest TH-D74 firmware as well as current on firmware and pistar release.

I have zero problems with REFnnn and DCSnnn.

It's as if I'm missing a key basic setting or understanding. I have nothing specially configured and I just link to XLX020A, get the link but nothing more.XLX020 status page shows me connected on A channel...

Quadnet live shows my transmission but not showing up on XLX020 last heard http://xlx020.k2dls.net

Really WN5N - ZUMspot, Rpi 3 B+, Th-D74
K2IE

Post by K2IE »

If you want we can setup a time when I'll be available to listen and respond as to whether I hear you or not.
N6XVZ

Post by N6XVZ »

K2DLS - thank you for the kind offer; however I can see I’m not heard.

However.......

I FOUND THE PROBLEM!

My TH-D74A setup had a tiny problem with My Callsign (menu 610 for you kenwoods!)

Mine has always been N6XVZ___/Dave. (Note for newbies the underscores _ are blanks to fill out to 8characters

Note the case. Callsign good. My name is not; it’s mixed case. All along it seems I’m spotted elsewhere as N6XVZ___/D On XLX systems I show in logs as “N6XVZ___/___” and never show up as active (somehow quadstar saw me but XLX software didn’t). When I ensured it’s either gone or ALL CAPS, voila it works. So now I am N6XVZ___/DAVE and not only does XLX020A hear me but finally the pi-star multi-reflector finally hears me.

I don’t consider this a pi-star problem; it seems to pass me through fine and this original config works on regular reflectors. It’s my error in not configuring the radio right by not understanding UPPERCASE seems to be the law of the land. I’ll drop Toshen a note to consider updating his guide as well.

Talk at you all soon1

Really WN5N - ZUMspot, Rpi 3 B+, Th-D74
KE0FHS

Post by KE0FHS »

ct1dvm wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:22 am D-Star mycall field have always been uppercase characters required for proper operation, it's nothing new.
That was helpful feedback. Interesting that neither the official Kenwood TH-D74A/E User Manual nor the Kenwood TH-D74A/E Operating Tips document say anything about uppercase being required for proper operation. I've been using the TH-D74A since it first came out and this is the first I've ever heard of this requirement. Fortunately, I always used uppercase characters so never ran into the issue.
73, Toshen, KE0FHS
Playing with Pi-Star (unofficial notes about setting up and using Pi-Star):
https://amateurradionotes.com/pi-star.htm
AF6VN

Post by AF6VN »

http://www.arrl.org/files/file/D-STAR.pdf only specifies ASCII for the fields, and http://www.aprs-is.net/downloads/DStar/ ... overed.pdf is even less informative...

If there is anything specific I can't locate it.

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber
w7efs

Post by w7efs »

Good find, David N6XVZ. On an ID-51, the “Own Callsign 1 / Own Callsign 2” fields can't be entered from the HT with lower-case (lc) characters; even the CS-51 programming software coerces those two fields to upper-case; lower||proper case is possible in the TX Message though.

You might consider informing Kenwood Support of the issue, as they may want to implement a software/firmware change to prevent such problems for the unsuspecting.
Last edited by w7efs on Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.