Brandmeister password change - no audio

Help with DMR issues
KA9MGS

Brandmeister password change - no audio

Post by KA9MGS »

Hi all,

No DMR audio or receive activity after setting hotspot security on Pi-Star and Brandmeister.

I noticed on the Brandmeister home page that they are strongly suggesting to create a new hotspot password instead of using the default hotspot password. Seems straight forward to setup. I logged into my Brandmeister account, selfcare, enabled hotspot password and then created and entered the password. Click save and exit.

On the Pi-Star I entered the configuration page and entered the same new password under the BM hotspot security section. Click apply changes.

From then on, I can see my callsign show in last heard (on the Brandmeister website) for TG 3117 after keying up the DMR HT. However, if there's activity on that TG it won't go through my hotspot nor will I hear anything on the DMR HT.

If, I restore the Pi-Star BM hotspot security password to the default and then go into Brandmeister and disable hotspot security then everything works fine again.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Chris.
YT5HOK

Re: Brandmeister password change - no audio

Post by YT5HOK »

Have you tried with different passwords, simpler ones, alphanumeric only, without special characters?
KE0FHS

Post by KE0FHS »

KA9MGS wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:09 pm If, I restore the Pi-Star BM hotspot security password to the default and then go into Brandmeister and disable hotspot security then everything works fine again.
FYI, there isn't a default Hotspot Security password. The default setting is blank or none.

Note also that you can set up only one BM Hotspot Security per CCS7 ID (the first seven digits), so even if you set up multiple ESSIDs for one CCS7 ID, you can use only one password for all of them.
73, Toshen, KE0FHS
Playing with Pi-Star (unofficial notes about setting up and using Pi-Star):
https://amateurradionotes.com/pi-star.htm
KA9MGS

Post by KA9MGS »

Hi all,

Thanks for the relies.

I tried to simplify the password by removing all the special characters and that worked. so I'm just using numbers and letters.

Thanks again.

Chris.
kd2lh

Post by kd2lh »

I've also mentioned issues with special characters in Brandmeister Hotspot Security passwords before. If you use special characters, Pi-Star will have problems parsing the configuration files onto the Configuration page. It typically generates errors about the modem type changing.

If you stick to alphabetic and numeric characters in the password, all works well.

If you need it for some reason, you can get a second DMR ID issued for your use on your call's hotspots and assign a unique password to it. This is unrelated to the two digit suffix used to differentiate hotspots that register under the same DMR ID - as mentioned all of them have to use the same BM Hotspot Security password.