LAN Connectivity Issue

Help setting up WiFi
KE0DVW

LAN Connectivity Issue

Post by KE0DVW »

I recently moved my mmdvm hat to a pi 3b+. It is working fine. However, I want to use the pi's Ethernet port for communication with the internet, and the wifi connection for the radio. Has anyone done this, and can help me out. I am Steve KE0DVW. Thanks everyone.
KE0FHS

Re: LAN Connectivity Issue

Post by KE0FHS »

KE0DVW wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:47 am I recently moved my mmdvm hat to a pi 3b+. It is working fine. However, I want to use the pi's Ethernet port for communication with the internet, and the wifi connection for the radio. Has anyone done this, and can help me out. I am Steve KE0DVW. Thanks everyone.
That's not how MMDVM hotspots are designed to work. The traffic between the radio and the hotspot is via RF. The hotspot handles sending digital signals to and receiving them from internet, either via a wired or wireless connection. The hotspot also handles all the conversion between analog and digital.
73, Toshen, KE0FHS
Playing with Pi-Star (unofficial notes about setting up and using Pi-Star):
https://amateurradionotes.com/pi-star.htm
AF6VN

Re: LAN Connectivity Issue

Post by AF6VN »

To expand on the previous reply... (incorporating frequency bands)

The MMDVM board runs on Amateur frequencies (2m, 70cm) if it has a low-power radio on-board (if one's board is controlling a pair of HTs wired to it, then the HTs control the frequency).

The WiFi runs on 2.4GHz (or maybe 5GHz depending on system) outside of the Amateur frequencies. It (or the hard-wired Ethernet) is used to relay traffic between the board and the Internet.

Radio <-- 2m/70cm RF --> MMDVM(or other) <-- digital packets --> R-Pi <-- WiFi/Ethernet --> Internet

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber