SOLVED - mmdvm single and duplex firmware update problem

MMDVM_HS Hat hardware
dh3ybe

SOLVED - mmdvm single and duplex firmware update problem

Post by dh3ybe »

Hello,

I have problems upgrading on to raspberry pi the mmdvm firmware.

It stopps with the failure:
serial posix 57600 8E1
failed to init device

My internet recherche, inlcuding threads of our pistar-forum did a couple of outcome:
- detach OLED display on mmdvm modem and set in configuration to none
- check JP1 jumper / joined on mmdvm GPIO connector pins 38 to 40
- make a new sd card from pistar image and import configuration and try to update mmdvm firmware

So I did all this thre things several times, without positive outcome on both raspberry pis. so same failure did occur. Last year, it worked perfectly.

My config for hotspot
- 2 raspberry pis B+ with 26 gpio pin connection with pistar 3.4.17
- simplex mmdvm hat 17.5 MHz (german version), mmdvm firmware installed 1.4.6
- duplex mmdvm hat 12 MHz (german version), mmdvm firmware installed 1.4.8, gpio conncetion and not usb connection to Pi
- 2 oled displays

Pis and mmdvm work very well in both installations.

Due to raspberry pi version B+ which is lower Pi 2, I have to youth pistar version 4.4.17.

So any hints, what could be the problem or what did a miss to recognize?

Thanks to the maker of pistar software and Toshens KE0FHS Website, which helped me a lot beneath pistar website and this forum.

Best regards
Kai
dh3ybe
Last edited by dh3ybe on Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
KE0FHS

Re: mmdvm single and duplex firmware update problem

Post by KE0FHS »

Hi Kai,

It sounds like you have the original Raspberry Pi 1 Model B from 2012, which has a 26-pin GPIO. The Model B+, which was released in 2014 has a 40-pin GPIO. That may be the problem you're running into. See this post by Gene, N9MXQ: viewtopic.php?t=841#p3368. He explains that the error message you're seeing is because "the Pi isn't seeing the MMDVM board via the upgrade pins (38 and 40)."

FYI, I have the same two boards, the MMDVM_HS_Hat by Florian, DF2ET, and Mathis, DB9MAT, and the MMDMV_HS_Dual_Hat by Florian, DF2ET, Mathis, DB9MAT, and Andreas, DO7EN, and I have never had to solder the JP1 jumper in order to upgrade the firmware. I think that advice applies only to some clone boards.

If I were facing your issue, I'd invest in a newer Raspberry Pi board that has a 40-pin GPIO, like the RPi 3 Model B (works with Pi-Star 3.4.17) or the RPi 3 Model B+ (requires the Pi-Star beta release 4.1.0).

See also the post by Wayne, N7ZQS, in which he explains that he was able to solve a similar issue to what you are experiencing:
I was able to resolve this issue and I appreciate all the input and assistance. I created another Pi-Star SD card but this time I did not restore my backup settings file. Other than setting up the WiFi, I updated, upgraded, and update the firmware with no issues. I restored my settings manually and everything is working as it should.
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=841&start=10#p3381
73, Toshen, KE0FHS
Playing with Pi-Star (unofficial notes about setting up and using Pi-Star):
https://amateurradionotes.com/pi-star.htm
dh3ybe

Re: mmdvm single and duplex firmware update problem

Post by dh3ybe »

Dear Toshen and Dear KE7FNS,

thank you very much for your replies.

Concerning "joined" I should better write "shortened" GPIO header pins 38 and 40 on the mmdvm header pins. In another internet website would work on chinese clones.

I think I will try to use an new Pi3, because I have not so much things to do to get it working. And as you described, the Pi will get an answer back through GPIO 40 pin connection. It will ease a lot.

Thanks a lot to you both for your support, your advices and sharing your experience.

Best Regards,

Kai
DH3YBE
dh3ybe

Re: SOLVED - mmdvm single and duplex firmware update problem

Post by dh3ybe »

marked as solved due to the problem, that mmdvm modem version needs full 40 pin gpio header

Kai
dh3ybe
dh3ybe

Re: SOLVED - mmdvm single and duplex firmware update problem

Post by dh3ybe »

Hello Dear All,

I only want to report SUCCESS.

Bought to Raspi 3B+ and power supply with 3A.
Saved the configuration files.
Installed pi-star version 4. Run update and upgrade and restored the configuration files.
Important: sometimes the mmdvm hat has to be newly clicked in the configuration.
Passwords pi-star and e.g. Brandmeister Hotspot security has to be changed or reconfigurated.

Due to the fact, that I have OLEDs Display directly mounted on the mmmdvm hats, I had to set mmmdvm display type and port both to "none".
So now I have an actual firmware on the mmdvm hats. :D

Best regards
Kai
DH3YBE