Unable to access dashboard for several weeks

General support for the Pi-Star System
AF6VN

Re: Unable to access dashboard for several weeks, or connect to DStar Reflectors

Post by AF6VN »

W5PB wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:04 pm Thanks for responding, I appreciate the suggestions!

My use of Putty to go in via SSH was done entirely via wifi.

A check of my wifi connections reveals that pi-star is connected, even when I am unable to connect to the dashboard. I have not seen any settings to allow internet only connections. Router is an Ubee DDW36C that came with my Comcast internet package.

Now it sounds like a firewall setting... Since you get in using SSH (port 22) but are getting no response on HTTP (port 80) or HTTPS (443). Does ping or tracert/traceroute get through to the device. Do you get any connection response if you try telnet to the web server port
{FYI: I do not get a connect on port 443, but do on 80

Code: Select all

C:\Users\Wulfraed>telnet pi-star-3b 443
Connecting To pi-star-3b...Could not open connection to the host, on port 443: Connect failed

C:\Users\Wulfraed>          
Doing that with port 80 gives me a clear-screen and a server waiting for a command

Just scanning through an edition of the manual for the device:
Advanced/Port Filtering -- are any ports listed? (Though as I understand it, this would block that port for ALL devices and all destinations, both LAN and WAN).
Port forwarding/UPnP settings
Firewall Protection level

DHCP lease time -- manual says default is 3600 (seconds) and recommends 86400. 86400 is 24 hours. If the router doesn't look for devices on a restart, you need the devices to look for it. The 3600 setting would mean DHCP leases expire every hour, and devices would have to request a new lease from the router.

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber
W5PB

Re: Unable to access dashboard for several weeks, or connect to DStar Reflectors

Post by W5PB »

I'll take a look tonight. Just to clarify - I can get in via ssh but only when I can log into the dash board. I was able to do both briefly yesterday. I did run a successful ping test.

I might run it again when I'm unable to get in to the hotspot. But, I've noticed that when I can't ssh/access the dashboard, I still see it as connected and the hotspot functions fine.
w7efs

Post by w7efs »

W5PB wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:05 am ...
FW ZUMspot:v1.4.16
Firmware v1.4.17 is available on github.com, but it won't hurt to execute:

rpi-rw && sudo pistar-zumspotflash
just to verify that the firmware is the most recent.
AF6VN

Post by AF6VN »

W5PB wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:09 pm I'll take a look tonight. Just to clarify - I can get in via ssh but only when I can log into the dash board. I was able to do both briefly yesterday. I did run a successful ping test.

I might run it again when I'm unable to get in to the hotspot. But, I've noticed that when I can't ssh/access the dashboard, I still see it as connected and the hotspot functions fine.
Which again makes me suspect the problem is not the hotspot, but somewhere between your computer and the router -- cached DNS settings, et al, which are out of date.

When you are unable to connect try (using your correct hostname -- mine was changed back when I planned to add a second hotspot)

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.18362.356]
(c) 2019 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Wulfraed>ping pi-star-3b

Pinging pi-star-3b.attlocal.net [192.168.1.79] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.1.79: bytes=32 time=7ms TTL=64
Reply from 192.168.1.79: bytes=32 time=6ms TTL=64
Reply from 192.168.1.79: bytes=32 time=8ms TTL=64
Reply from 192.168.1.79: bytes=32 time=6ms TTL=64

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.79:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 6ms, Maximum = 8ms, Average = 6ms

C:\Users\Wulfraed>tracert pi-star-3b

Tracing route to pi-star-3b.attlocal.net [192.168.1.79]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1     2 ms     4 ms     2 ms  pi-star-3b.attlocal.net [192.168.1.79]

Trace complete.

C:\Users\Wulfraed>tracert pi-star-3b.local

Tracing route to pi-star-3b.local [192.168.1.79]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1     8 ms     2 ms     2 ms  pi-star-3b.attlocal.net [192.168.1.79]

Trace complete.

C:\Users\Wulfraed>
Note that I tried with and without .local on the name for the tracert. My router provides one layer of DNS, so handles the name with .local and without it.

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber
W5PB

Post by W5PB »

Was unable to get into the dashboard via web browser, and was also unable to use SSH, or Telnet. Ping was successful, Traceroute was not

Shortly after that I was magically able to get back into the dashboard and successfully SSH. Telnet still did not work.
Just scanning through an edition of the manual for the device:
Advanced/Port Filtering -- are any ports listed? (Though as I understand it, this would block that port for ALL devices and all destinations, both LAN and WAN).
Port forwarding/UPnP settings
Firewall Protection level

DHCP lease time -- manual says default is 3600 (seconds) and recommends 86400. 86400 is 24 hours. If the router doesn't look for devices on a restart, you need the devices to look for it. The 3600 setting would mean DHCP leases expire every hour, and devices would have to request a new lease from the router.
Advanced>Port Filtering - Nothing listed
Port Forwarding - Nothing Listed
Firewall protection - IPv4 is set to 'Low"; IPv6 is set to 'On'; Port Scan Detection is selected and 'No Ports Restricted" under the heading Allowed Services
DHCP Lease Time - everything was set to 3600. I changed it to 86400, and after applying the settings, the expiration column shows "Static IP Address"
W5PB

Post by W5PB »

w7efs wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:03 pm
W5PB wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:05 am ...
FW ZUMspot:v1.4.16
Firmware v1.4.17 is available on github.com, but it won't hurt to execute:

rpi-rw && sudo pistar-zumspotflash
just to verify that the firmware is the most recent.
Thank you. Since Im new to this, I'll look up how to do so.
AF6VN

Post by AF6VN »

KE7FNS wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:12 am
W5PB wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:09 am Shortly after that I was magically able to get back into the dashboard and successfully SSH. Telnet still did not work.
Telnet is disabled by default on raspbian because of security reasons.
Telnet -- as a remote login on port 21 -- yes.

However, a telnet client can be used to initiate connections on /other/ ports. I'd tried with port 80 (HTTP), which is where the dashboard would be accessed. One either gets a failure to connect, or a successful connection (which isn't that useful unless one has the HTTP protocol RFC handy to issue properly formatted commands).

W5PB wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:09 am Was unable to get into the dashboard via web browser, and was also unable to use SSH, or Telnet. Ping was successful, Traceroute was not

I'm afraid to ask what client you were using for that -- posting graphical screen dumps makes it difficult to respond compared to cut&pasting the /text/ itself. That it also lists source and destination addresses is unusual too; all of my systems only give the destination address.

I'd be somewhat concerned by that traceroute. It shows you coming from an IP of 76.184.106.26, looking for a private LAN address of 192.168.0.3. Those are technically different networks.

Private LAN addresses are not supposed to cross outside the LAN -- routers perform NAT to convert private IP/port to Internet IP/port. In a proper network I would never expect 76.184.xx.xx to find a 192.168.xx.xx node.

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber
W5PB

Post by W5PB »

I was using the ping and Trace route utility when logged into my router. For whatever reason, I was unable to simply copy and paste.

I found the IP address interesting too. My wifi offers two different connections. One on 2 ghz and another on 5 ghz. However, I've confirmed that all devices are connected to the 2 ghz along with the hotspot. Not sure if this could be the reason why.
AF6VN

Post by AF6VN »

W5PB wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:57 pm I was using the ping and Trace route utility when logged into my router. For whatever reason, I was unable to simply copy and paste.
The intent is to use the computer's ping/traceroute to show the path from the computer /through/ the router.

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber
W5PB

Post by W5PB »

AF6VN - I really appreciate you sticking with trying to help me. Clearly there's a learning curve for me. I'm assuming Win 10 has a way of doing ping and Trace route? I tried doing it from the command line and powershell but it didn't work.