YSF FCS Reflector -> WiresX via FTM-100 in PDN Mode Issues

Help with YSF / Fusion issues
AA0Z

YSF FCS Reflector -> WiresX via FTM-100 in PDN Mode Issues

Post by AA0Z »

Having trouble bridging our FCS reflector to WiresX via a ZumSpot. I saw a post back in Dec 2018 in this forum where people were having the same trouble I'm having below, but the conversation dropped off. There wasn't mention of a fix. Here is my issue.

Users coming in through WiresX then down the USB cable to the FTM-100 and into the Zum spot works great. Users connected to the FCS reflector hear the conversation with no issues.

When a user comes in via the FCS reflector and then RF out of the ZumSpot over to the FTM-100, the FTM-100 keys, but doesn't pass the conversation to the WiresX network via the computer.

I can use the FTM-100 fine in PDN hotspot mode with my FT-2DR, so I know the FTM-100 is setup correctly.

I'm using a dummy load on the FTM-100 with the ZumSpot sitting right next to it.

Thoughts?
AE5JO

Re: YSF FCS Reflector -> WiresX via FTM-100 in PDN Mode Issues

Post by AE5JO »

I am having the same issue. I wonder if it is Yaesu filtering it from WIRESX.
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

Hasn't worked for ages. Only one way traffic since last year.
The hotspots "hear" the Tx from the wires installs but the wires node /repeater no longer recognise the hotspot transmissions.

I believe newer releases of wires firmware has made it this way and unfortunately yeasu don't make their earlier firmware version available on line, if it's at all poss. to step back to an earlier firmware on yeasu gear.?? As A result we've given up here on the bridges, the 3 local wires nodes that covered our county have closed and the local repeater sees little use as it now works standalone. Instead we are bridging our YSF reflector to the local DMR TG. with a couple pi-star YSF nodes for the locals to get use out of their yeasu radios.

We've given up on wires X here but...
BM have a solution that links into a wires node. (A friend of mine runs one this way. 27753, it permits YSF/DMR/Wires X bridging where all talk as one)
You could do similar using DMR as the hub, all you need is a DMR ID to use as the TG. Then go YSF2DMR and DMR2WiresX using the BM TG as the "bridge" between the two.

Andrew M1DNS, (Mod)

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
AA0Z

Post by AA0Z »

BM have a solution that links into a wires node. (A friend of mine runs one this way. 27753, it permits YSF/DMR/Wires X bridging where all talk as one). You could do similar using DMR as the hub, all you need is a DMR ID to use as the TG. Then go YSF2DMR and DMR2WiresX using the BM TG as the "bridge" between the two.
We have a group local to St. Louis who runs a DMR repeater, which we've talked about linking DMR and WiresX into one large digital network. I'm not that familiar with the BM back end and what can link to what. Are you saying the following?

WiresX user comes out the FTM100 via RF into the PiStar running YSF2DMR. The PiStar is then locked into a BM TG? Traffic flows into the BM TG and then into WiresX via BM servers based on how we setup the BM2WiresX in the cloud?

If a user originates at the FCS Reflector, how does it get into WiresX?

I'm still a little confused on this one how the routing occurs.
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

Yep that could be one way to do it.

But, BM have code that links them and the wires X install.
I'm not certain how they do this, but I believe their connection mimics a wires user linking into ur wires X room.
Everything runs at a network level, there's no RF bridges involved.

They need the TG / ID no. you want to use and the IP address that the wires X install is running on. If the guys in St Louis are willing you could use the repeater id as ur TG of choice.

YSF/FCS -> BM -> Wires X
you'll be using BM as the bridge to link between the two.
BM will sit between the two, as said they currently link our county YSF reflector into our regional DMR TG. and it's all done by them via IP.

YSF/FCS guys connect as normal to the YSF/FCS room
Wires X guys connect as usual to the wiresx room
You'll also have the advantage that DMR guys using ur chosen TG / ID / St Louis repeater could also join in.

You'll obvs. need to contact them abt setting this up for you, but.
as said earlier a friend of mine still runs his wires install this way,
creating a YSF / DMR / Wires X group where all talk as one.

Andrew M1DNS, (Mod)

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
AA0Z

Post by AA0Z »

Just want to update on this.

I got it to work. At first I tried this "fix" but it didn't work. I guess it didn't fully get implemented. After another attempt and a reboot, it now works.

RemoteGateway = 1 under Expert -> MMDVMHost -> System Fusion.

Default value is 0. Once I changed it to 1, the FTM-100 started to pass communication to WiresX in PDN mode.
AA0Z

Post by AA0Z »

Let me be clear I needed to use two hotspots. Let me see if I can draw this out.

FCS Reflector -> internet -> Hotspot 1 transmitting on XXX.XXX -> FTM-100D listening on XXX.XXX in PDN mode -> Windows 10 -> Wires X Room

Hotspot 1 has RemoteGateway = 1 under System Fusion Expert mode.

Wires X Room -> Windows 10 -> FTM-100D transmitting on YYY.YYY -> Hotspot 2 receiving on YYY.YYY -> internet -> FCS Reflector

Hotspot 2 has RemoteGateway = 0 under System Fusion Expert mode.

Just set the FTM-100D like you are hitting a repeater pair.
K9EQ

Post by K9EQ »

WiRES-X will drop transmissions that do not comply with the published Yaesu specification. The data being dropped going from HS to WiRES-X will most likely occur if the HS station that is transmitting is NOT using a Fusion radio. DMR transmissions only carry audio whereas Fusion contains callsign, GPS, Transmitter ID, and other metadata. If this metadata is invalid, the packets are (properly) dropped.

This works fine doing Fusion to Fusion provided the aforementioned Gateway value is properly set. Also note that bridging using a repeater is extremely difficult to do because of limitations of the Pi-star software. The software is very unhappy at doing offsets from the client side. I got around this by hacking some scripts. You want Full Duplex off, but you need to use an offset. The software will constantly set Full Duplex to on if you have an offset, and this screws things up because you don't have a full duplex hotspot. I just killed the code that kept setting Full Duplex to 1 automatically.

BTW, bridging through a repeater is even more sensitive to protocol errors.

I would also suggest not using PDN mode. PDN mode is complicated. In that mode your traffic travels to Japan using TCP. In Japan it is converted to UDP and sent along to the selected Room. TCP is not a great way to send VoIP. I stick with the HRI-200 unless I simply cannot forward ports.

Chris, K9EQ