Interesting data on APRS.fi

Help with D-Star related issues
KN4QFV

Interesting data on APRS.fi

Post by KN4QFV »

Been playing with my new TH-D74A through a Jumbospot. I have my HT set up for APRS callsign K4JDA-7 with the dot in a circle. When I go to APRS.fi, here is what I see:

IMG_0089.jpg
IMG_0089.jpg (156.68 KiB) Viewed 3543 times

Why are there two entries from the hotspot?

Is there any way to customize what the hotspot sends (instead of RNG0001 440 ...)?

Anyone know where the entry with the Kenwood icon is coming from? It seems to refresh when I issue D-Star commands from the HT.
Troy Davis- Now K4JDA
Kennesaw, GA
AE5PL

Re: Interesting data on APRS.fi

Post by AE5PL »

The first is an APRS Object/Item which is a free-form marker for any type of object. In this case, it is giving the repeater/hotspot location and access information (callsign ID, frequency, split, range, etc.). This is a common use of APRS Objects and used with analog repeaters as well (along with many other uses).

The second is an APRS Gateway position packet. This indicates the that this station is a DPRS IGate that supports gating DPRS to APRS-IS (and vice versa for DStarMonitor IGates).

2 different purposes and meanings in the APRS world.

Hope this helps.
KN4QFV

Post by KN4QFV »

Any way to change the comment/text being transmitted? I’d like to change the “RNG0001 440 Voice 438.8....” text to something different
Troy Davis- Now K4JDA
Kennesaw, GA
AE5PL

Post by AE5PL »

KN4QFV wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:30 pm Any way to change the comment/text being transmitted? I’d like to change the “RNG0001 440 Voice 438.8....” text to something different
The format for the object/item is relatively fixed (for over 10 years) to provide information that can be easily read and parsed. You can, however, append a comment to it. There are certain objects in APRS that have de facto standards for format (some have standards stated in the APRS spec). Analog repeaters have a de facto standard format that allows radios to easily QSY to that repeater if so desired. The D-STAR repeater object/item (can be an APRS item as well as object) de facto standard is to give basic info to use the repeater when programming a radio and to let sites that list nearby D-STAR repeaters and hotspots the ability to easily parse the info. Hope this helps.
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

Yep.
I probably could of worded it better, but yeah

Ones generated by ircddbgateway, from what's entered in the config.

The others RF data passing through the "module" to the gateway as it gets received from the radio.

Andrew M1DNS, (Mod)

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.