Turn off read-only fiile system??

General support for the Pi-Star System
G8OGJ

Turn off read-only fiile system??

Post by G8OGJ »

Folks,

Is it possible, and if so is it dangerous, to set the pi-star such that the file system is no longer read-only? The reason for this is that I want to run boinc-client in the background on my system but it is failing to start, in all probability because the file system appears to be full.

In the alternative, I might have to add a second disk (USB drive) or separate partition for boinc, which I don't really want to do.

Grateful for your thoughts.

Ian
Amateur Radio Station G8OGJ
G8OGJ

Re: Turn off read-only fiile system??

Post by G8OGJ »

Thanks for the input - based on what I have read there is no need to consider the risk issue - its just too complicated for my simple purpose, especially if I later have to update to a new version.

Having read that post I am minded to put in a USB drive for the boinc client to use. It can do what it likes with that and there is no risk to the pi-star partition.

I'm struggling to understand how I was able to install boinc-client and run it for several days until I had to restart, but there you are.

Best regards,

Ian
Amateur Radio Station G8OGJ
G8SEZ

Re: Turn off read-only fiile system??

Post by G8SEZ »

G8OGJ wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:38 am Thanks for the input - based on what I have read there is no need to consider the risk issue - its just too complicated for my simple purpose, especially if I later have to update to a new version.

Having read that post I am minded to put in a USB drive for the boinc client to use. It can do what it likes with that and there is no risk to the pi-star partition.

I'm struggling to understand how I was able to install boinc-client and run it for several days until I had to restart, but there you are.
Probably because the partition ended up in RW mode due to a hard-to-find bug that leaves deleted files open as far as one of the services is concerned.

See viewtopic.php?f=3&t=741 for more evolving details.
--

Brian G8SEZ