Append to DMR ID for Aliases on P25

Suggest new features here
VK2YMU

Append to DMR ID for Aliases on P25

Post by VK2YMU » Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:31 am

Hi Andy

I have had a need to have an alias ID for one of the P25 repeaters we use here in my area
Since the ID is retrieved from the DMRIds.dat file I have created code that appends to the file.
This patch code as an executable inserted in rc.local and HostFilesUpdate.sh

Here is the code
# Append Custom ID's to DMRIds.dat
# Make file system read & write
mount -o remount,rw /
echo "505317 VK3RBA" >> /usr/local/etc/DMRIds.dat
# Make file system read only
mount -o remount,rw /
sleep 1
done

This is a useful feature that others require for when the DMR ID file does not provide the information since repeaters are not included in the ID file in the first place.

I was advised to post this here, in case you wish to make this a feature of your system thus as a sujestion.
73's
Robert

KE7FNS

Re: Append to DMR ID for Aliases on P25

Post by KE7FNS » Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:56 am

lol,

I meant suggest that a custom DMRID.dat file be added similar to how custom DMR host overrides work. XD
All views, comments, posts and opinions shared are entirely my own.

VK2YMU

Post by VK2YMU » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:42 am

why would you do hat when the ID file is updated daily, a lot easier to append as I have done.
But you have your way and I have mine..
Note that HostFilesUpdate.sh is called by the cron daily and the update in the gui.
But since I have achieved my goal, plus as per your advice posted here, I really don't know why you are trolling me..

KE7FNS

Post by KE7FNS » Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:42 pm

VK2YMU wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:42 am
why would you do hat when the ID file is updated daily, a lot easier to append as I have done.
But you have your way and I have mine..
Note that HostFilesUpdate.sh is called by the cron daily and the update in the gui.
But since I have achieved my goal, plus as per your advice posted here, I really don't know why you are trolling me..
Because custom DMR host overrides are updated daily too.... And no, its not easier to do it using your script.

Not only is your suggested "fix" a poor solution to the problem, it only applies to YOUR specific use case. It makes absolutely no sense to apply that same fix to every pi-star currently in use, which is really what you are suggesting here. Take a moment and think deeply about that last comment.

What I mentioned would be to copy 3 lines of code that are already in HostFilesUpdate.sh

Code: Select all

if [ -f "/root/DMR_Hosts.txt" ]; then
        cat /root/DMR_Hosts.txt >> ${DMRHOSTS}
fi
and paste them near that code and then make the following change to something similar to this.

if [ -f "/root/DMRIds.dat" ]; then
        cat /root/DMRIds.dat >> ${DMRIDFILE}
fi
Then if anyone wanted custom DMR ID's they could use the same procedure as how they would use custom DMR Hosts. Which again would be updated daily......

And lastly, you need to research, learn and identify what trolling is. https://www.lifewire.com/what-is-intern ... ng-3485891

The reason I recommended posting here is because you were asking for a feature request. I figured it would be more likely to get noticed and maybe implemented by the individuals who are responsible at creating such features, not just get lost and buried in a different section of the forum.

VK2YMU

Post by VK2YMU » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:49 pm

Guess what, it works plus daily updates get appended as I already mentioned, plus I can add many aliases if so required, further will work on any other system,maybe you should test the code I created but thanks for your comments...

KE7FNS

Post by KE7FNS » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:08 pm

Guess what, what I suggested works too, custom ID's would get appended to daily updates as I already mentioned, plus you can add many aliases if so required, further will work on any other system, and it is currently in use for a number of other similar features.

I don't need to test your code, what you wrote is an incredibly simple script that basically dumbs down to writing "505317 VK3RBA" to the end of a file every time the script is run. Not really difficult to understand.

There is more than one way to skin a cat. Luckily for you it is not my decision, but I seriously doubt that if this feature is ever implemented that the developers use your script over their own. We'll just have to wait and see.

BTW, do this simple test:
reboot your RPi 10 times in a row, and then login and type this.

tail -11 /usr/local/etc/DMRIds.dat
:ugeek:

VK2YMU

Post by VK2YMU » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:28 pm

You win. Better now..... ?