DMR Configuration

Help with DMR issues
4S7EF

DMR Configuration

Post by 4S7EF »

In pi-star DMR configuration, does one select DMRGateway as the DMR Master or just select any BM such as BM_United_States_3102?

Selecting DMRGateway gives a whole host of other settings.

Any where I can get further information on what to select and once selected how to configure?

Thank you 4S7EF
W1KMC

Re: DMR Configuration

Post by W1KMC »

Choosing a DMR master 'straight' (as in your example of United_States_3102) allows only Brandmeister talkgroups.

Choosing DMR Gateway has several more settings because the Gateway allows more flexibility - e.g. DMR+, XLX, cross modes with YSF OR (not and) NDXN (NexEdge).

If you looked below the DMR Gateway, You may have seen DMR2YSF Gateway (This turs your DMR into a Fusion Radio, but no DMR possible in THIS gateway) -- Same goes for DMR2NXDN Gareway except it turns your DMR into a NexEdge radio (again no DMR)

the Pistar main website has lists of Fusion (YSF and FCS roome) and NexEdge rooms and what you need in your DMR radio as talkgroups to access them

The reason you can't cross mode both Fusion (DMR2YSF) and NexEdge (DMR2NXDN) at the same time in DMR Gateway mode is they both use 7 as a prefix.

The gateway does this:
Brandmeister - has no prefix - but brandmeister has reflectors in the 4000-5000 range (as does DMR+ --- keep reading.
this is why on your dashboard in DMR you see TG31288 / No Ref -- this means that you are in Talkgroup 31288 and there is no REFLECTOR (some reas as no reference) for reflectors you use TG9 (Group Call) then you send a private call to the refllector number (4000 to disconnect and 5000 to hear the current reflector) e.g. 4426 (allstarlink) your dashboard would then show TG 9 / Ref 4426

DMR+ is only reflectors but in the gateway you use Talkgroup 8 (group Call) (4000 disconnect and 5000 Status are here too) you will see the same numbers (sometimes) on BM and DMR+ but the reflectors may NOT go to the same place (TaKe a look at REF 4639 in both lists for what I mean) -- Connected to a DMR+ reflector, your dashboard would show TG8 / REF 4639

The crossover modes DMR2YSF and DMR2NXDN both use a prefix of 7 (NXDN rooms need to be padded to 6 digits (without the 7) e.g Florida is NXDN 1200 -- your radio needs 001200 (now add the prefix 7001200)

YSF Rooms are 5 digits long but in the gateway we prefix them with 70 so room 50239 (Ham Shack Hotline) becomes 7050239
FCS rooms are 3 digits long but we pad them with 7100 -- so room FCS 219 (Maine) becomes 7100219

XLX reflectors use the prefix of 6 - the PiStar site does not have an XLX reflector list but just google it and you should find several sites that do have a list

Yes this was long and drawn out but I do not know of a guide (you may want to google that too) but Toshen (on this group) runs a site that is a wealth of infoormation (KE0FHS) site is amateurradionotes.com and the page is /pi-star-notes.htm if you want to have a look around in there.

Hope this was at least a little clearer than mud for you.

Good Luck.
I am no developer, guru, expert, nor do I claim to be or want to be. All advice I give is purely from experience and my efforts to help others.

W1KMC - Kevin M Carman
Bangor, ME
Jumbospot on a Pi0W
DMR 3123142 & 3123143
HHUS Trunk Ext 4329
4S7EF

Post by 4S7EF »

Thank you Kevin

A lot of reading and comprehension!!

Hopefully I will get near understanding what needs to be done.

73 de 4S7EF
4S7EF

Post by 4S7EF »

https://youtu.be/CxoG8Bp2BXw

Came across this...will Google for more DMR configuration clips
G8SEZ

Post by G8SEZ »

4S7EF wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:28 am https://youtu.be/CxoG8Bp2BXw

Came across this...will Google for more DMR configuration clips
There's a whole load of them in one of the sub-forums, W1MSG is the callsign of the guy who does them.
--

Brian G8SEZ
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

Craig releases the videos on his channel.
He is the official source for pistar videos.
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCcjYjtog ... U2A/videos

Andrew M1DNS, (Mod)

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
4S7EF

Post by 4S7EF »

Thank you