Raspberry Pi 3A+ WiFi issue

Help setting up WiFi
w7efs

Re: Raspberry Pi 3A+ WiFi issue

Post by w7efs »

DB6BD wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:18 am... But yes, using Raspbian, WLAN works without hickups, while in the Pi-Star 4.1.0 RC3 on my Raspberry Pi 3A+ hardware has issues connecting to my home WLAN. ...
Do the issues persist in RC6, please? Much development work has been contributed since RC3.
DB6BD

Post by DB6BD »

Hi,

I haven't seen anymore issues since I started over with PiStar 4.1.0 RC4. Neither on my RasPi 4B, as Toshen.

Issues may derive from weak power supplies, too.

Kind regards,
Dennis
ea7gwc

Post by ea7gwc »

Right now I have needed 3 ignitions, so that
The PI3 a+ start to operate the wifi.
4.1.0 RC6

KE0FHS

Post by KE0FHS »

ea7gwc wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:35 pm Right now I have needed 3 ignitions, so that
The PI3 a+ start to operate the wifi.
4.1.0 RC6
This is such a strange issue. I have the most problems with the 3A+, but this morning, I had to power on my 4B hotspot four times before it would connect to my WiFi. A bit later, I powered on one of my 3A+ hotspots and it connected right away. On both of these hotspots, I started anew a week or so ago with a fresh 4.1.0-RC4 image and updated and upgraded to RC6. For a few days I had no problems whatsoever, so I thought that had solved this issue, but then it started happening again.
73, Toshen, KE0FHS
Playing with Pi-Star (unofficial notes about setting up and using Pi-Star):
https://amateurradionotes.com/pi-star.htm
DB6BD

Post by DB6BD »

I experienced similar problems after updating 30 packets, approximately 90 MB. My 4B rebooted fine the first 3 times. After that I had bad luck 6 times and after reboot number 10 it worked fine again.

Weird, especially when you think it has been fixed. :(

Dennis
KB1B

Post by KB1B »

Please be sure you are providing the RPi with enough (clean) power as these boards are very sensitive with regard to voltage and current and will not operate correctly. Any issue I have had with intermittent WiFi has been resolved with using a good power supply.
KE0FHS

Post by KE0FHS »

I am using high quality power supply units for both my USB-C and microUSB hotspots, either the official ones from the Raspberry Pi Foundation, or the ones from Canakit. I have also swapped them to make sure that's not the case. These same power supplies worked fine with WiFi prior to 4.1.0, so while power supplies can be a problem, I don't think that's the issue in this case.
73, Toshen, KE0FHS
Playing with Pi-Star (unofficial notes about setting up and using Pi-Star):
https://amateurradionotes.com/pi-star.htm
DB6BD

Post by DB6BD »

I am solely using original Raspberry Pi foundation power supplies. Only my RasPi 0 hotspot is running on a USB port of my VDSL router. Most interestingly that is the only hotspot without any WLAN issues. So I am sure, in my case it is not a power supply issue.

Dennis
DB6BD
DB6BD

Post by DB6BD »

...which reminds me that the RasPi 0 has no 5 GHz WLAN. Does anybody know, how to disable 5 GHz WLAN on 3A+, 3B+ and 4B? That might solve the issue...
AF6VN

Post by AF6VN »

DB6BD wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:14 am I am solely using original Raspberry Pi foundation power supplies. Only my RasPi 0 hotspot is running on a USB port of my VDSL router. Most interestingly that is the only hotspot without any WLAN issues. So I am sure, in my case it is not a power supply issue.
If that router is also the WiFi access point, you are likely running a fairly short USB/power cable, meaning the hotspot is pretty close to the access point. It could be desensitizing the access point due to the signal strength.

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber