Raspberry Pi 3A+ WiFi issue

Help setting up WiFi
DB6BD

Re: Raspberry Pi 3A+ WiFi issue

Post by DB6BD » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:32 pm

I experienced similar problems after updating 30 packets, approximately 90 MB. My 4B rebooted fine the first 3 times. After that I had bad luck 6 times and after reboot number 10 it worked fine again.

Weird, especially when you think it has been fixed. :(

Dennis

KB1B

Post by KB1B » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:35 pm

Please be sure you are providing the RPi with enough (clean) power as these boards are very sensitive with regard to voltage and current and will not operate correctly. Any issue I have had with intermittent WiFi has been resolved with using a good power supply.

KE0FHS

Post by KE0FHS » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:48 pm

I am using high quality power supply units for both my USB-C and microUSB hotspots, either the official ones from the Raspberry Pi Foundation, or the ones from Canakit. I have also swapped them to make sure that's not the case. These same power supplies worked fine with WiFi prior to 4.1.0, so while power supplies can be a problem, I don't think that's the issue in this case.
73, Toshen, KE0FHS
Playing with Pi-Star (unofficial notes about setting up and using Pi-Star):
https://amateurradionotes.com/pi-star.htm

DB6BD

Post by DB6BD » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:14 am

I am solely using original Raspberry Pi foundation power supplies. Only my RasPi 0 hotspot is running on a USB port of my VDSL router. Most interestingly that is the only hotspot without any WLAN issues. So I am sure, in my case it is not a power supply issue.

Dennis
DB6BD

DB6BD

Post by DB6BD » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:23 am

...which reminds me that the RasPi 0 has no 5 GHz WLAN. Does anybody know, how to disable 5 GHz WLAN on 3A+, 3B+ and 4B? That might solve the issue...

AF6VN

Post by AF6VN » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:46 pm

DB6BD wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:14 am
I am solely using original Raspberry Pi foundation power supplies. Only my RasPi 0 hotspot is running on a USB port of my VDSL router. Most interestingly that is the only hotspot without any WLAN issues. So I am sure, in my case it is not a power supply issue.
If that router is also the WiFi access point, you are likely running a fairly short USB/power cable, meaning the hotspot is pretty close to the access point. It could be desensitizing the access point due to the signal strength.

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber

DB6BD

Post by DB6BD » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:01 pm

I have tried with my hotspot not present. No change. Desensitation is not the problem in TDD systems, it is only in FDD systems, if RX/TX isolation is poor.

Dennos

KB1B

Post by KB1B » Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:03 am

When trying to find a solution on other forums, I saw that several people who have had trouble with WiFi connections on the Raspberry Pi 3A+/B+ running Raspbian found that placing the country variable and value e.g. 'country=US' on the top line of the /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf file worked for them.
Maybe it's worth a try?

KE7FNS

Post by KE7FNS » Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:58 am

KB1B wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:03 am
When trying to find a solution on other forums, I saw that several people who have had trouble with WiFi connections on the Raspberry Pi 3A+/B+ running Raspbian found that placing the country variable and value e.g. 'country=US' on the top line of the /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf file worked for them.
Maybe it's worth a try?
You know what, that is one of the very first settings I make right after I boot a new pi-star installation. I haven't been able to recreate the wifi issues others have reported, so you might be on to something.

I reinstall raspi-config (it was uninstalled in pi-star for some odd reason) and use it to set the locale, time zone, keyboard layout and wifi country.

I think it is certainly worth a try, its simple enough to do either by using raspi-config or nano the file by hand.
All views, comments, posts and opinions shared are entirely my own.

KB1B

Post by KB1B » Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:01 am

My sense is this problem is caused by several things resulting with the same inability to have a reliable WiFi client connection. Perhaps the country variable works for some people but there are many who likely have this variable in the usual location that experience no problems. Although a poor power supply can cause a WiFi client to fail and yield an unpredictable WiFi AP, there are many people with good power who experience issues. It may be an issue with the configuration of the WiFi AP that causes the RPi to fail as a client. My WiFi AP is a Netgear AC1750 (R6400) using WPA2 and AES. Yet there are people who use the same WiFi AP with success on an RPi 3B+ but fail on the RPi 3A+.
For those who don't have problems, it is likely they are doing something others are not.

Similar to raspi-config, people can run:
sudo dpkg-reconfigure locales

I set the locale in /etc/environment and also do the following the following:
sudo pistar-update
sudo locale-gen

I don't have the problem of intermittent WiFi client conditions and am guessing about a solution. I'm merely stating some of the things I've done in configuring my RPi 3A+ with PiStar 4.1.0-RC6