Pi Desktop

Help with D-Star related issues
G0LAT

Pi Desktop

Post by G0LAT »

Hi, I have just re-installed the Pi-Star image, Pi-Star_RPi_V3.4.17_20-Jan-2019, but it doesn't work. SO I reverted to the Dec 18 image.
I have my dvmega working now, but I cannot get the Raspberry Pi Homepage to load, hence can't add IRCDDB etc.
Any ideas.
Thanks
KE0FHS

Re: Pi Desktop

Post by KE0FHS »

Define "doesn't work."

FYI, I've used the Pi-Star_RPi_V3.4.17_20-Jan-2019 image on multiple hotspots, including a DVMEGA + RPi hotspot, and it worked/works just fine.
73, Toshen, KE0FHS
Playing with Pi-Star (unofficial notes about setting up and using Pi-Star):
https://amateurradionotes.com/pi-star.htm
G0LAT

Post by G0LAT »

It loads, but my dvmega wont connect. The Dec 2018 version works fine, but as I said I can't get the Pi desktop to load
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

G0LAT wrote:It loads, but my dvmega wont connect. The Dec 2018 version works fine, but as I said I can't get the Pi desktop to load
Try this...
Use the Dec release to save a backup.
Download/burn/install the new release then restore from the
saved backup file...
Sounds to me like something in ur new setup isn't configured correctly,
restoring the config from a backup, might correct whatever might be configured incorrectly.

Your also referencing the pi desktop, there's no desktop with pistar it's CLI
Maybe you mean you can't get the dashboard to load up ???

Andrew M1DNS, (Mod)

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
G0LAT

Post by G0LAT »

I tried that and no difference.
It is the dashboard/homepage I cannot get up on the screen to be able to change band, reflectors etc. I just have the Pi-Star box showing the version and a couple of lines of text and the flashing cursor.
I have tried to get past it using various commands prefixed with sudo, but to no avail. I can reboots the dvmega and that's about all.
I need to find an older img to use, as I am sure that would get me back to a previous state where it all worked.
My pi and dvmega are 4 years old and probably running a very early version.
Its very frustrating as I cant change from REF 01C.
It all happened as I was trying to configure to use the MMDVM and connect my DMR radio instead of just a Dstar hotspot.
I should have left it alone.....
G0LAT

Post by G0LAT »

I have the Pi-Star dashboard.
It is the screen where you can figure the settings, IRCDDB, Band/frequency etc I am trying to access.
IMG_9504.JPEG
IMG_9504.JPEG (66.04 KiB) Viewed 4487 times
IMG_9505.JPEG
IMG_9505.JPEG (93.82 KiB) Viewed 4487 times
I have shown the dashboard and my other screen where I am trying to get into the settings.
KE0FHS

Post by KE0FHS »

G0LAT wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:00 am I have the Pi-Star dashboard.
It is the screen where you can figure the settings, IRCDDB, Band/frequency etc I am trying to access.
When you are looking at the Pi-Star Dashboard Configuration page (your second screen shot), click the Expert button.
73, Toshen, KE0FHS
G0LAT

Post by G0LAT »

Thank you for the info.

I have looked through all the options on the Expert tab, but it doesn't look like the tabs on the pi desktop that I know where to change settings.

Looks like I will be stuck on REF001C

Thank you again.
KE0FHS

Post by KE0FHS »

The DStarRepeater Controller Software is for older hardware like the DVAP or DVRPTR. For the DVMEGA, you can use MMDVMHost. (If the firmware on your DVMEGA is older than 3.07, you should update it to a more recent version like 3.19 or 3.26; see https://amateurradionotes.com/pi-star-notes.htm#viarpi). Using the DStarRepeater Controller Software may be what is causing your issue.

You can change the Default Reflector in the D-Star Configuration section, and you also can choose whether it links automatically on startup or only manually when you want to link.

You can link to and unlink from reflectors on the Admin page using the D-Star Link Manager. Of course, you also can link and unlink from your radio.
73, Toshen, KE0FHS
AF6VN

Post by AF6VN »

G0LAT wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:00 am I have the Pi-Star dashboard.
IMG_9504.JPEG
This (your first image) is a text console... It does NOT provide access to configuration pages unless you know how to hand edit the configuration files themselves and then restart the services to reload the new settings. Pi-Star does not run an X-server (graphical) environment, and hence you can not run a web browser ON the host R-Pi.
IMG_9505.JPEG
I have shown the dashboard and my other screen where I am trying to get into the settings.
This (second image) is the configuration page. You are set to use DStarRepeater as the main driver; it has different configuration options from MMDVMHost. However -- the D-Star Configuration appears to be the same. At the bottom of this (second) image is where the default reflector for D-Star is specified. To my knowledge, everything you have asked about is on that configuration page. Frequency is that green field.

What I do note is that you have not specified what radio/modem you have attached. That is six rows down from the green frequency.

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber