V4 still Beta?

General support for the Pi-Star System
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Re: V4 still Beta?

Post by M1DNS »

KE0FHS wrote:On the other hand, it might be viewed as a good thing that the rumor got posted here (with the clear caveat, "Let’s hope this is only rumors") so that it could be fact checked. What better place can someone post something like this in order to find out whether it is true or not?
Maybe.

I just don't understand this type of thing, especially given such rumours come from nowhere, with no reasoning at all.

As your reply stated updates are still being pushed out, but some are obviously blind to this, so their inabilities fuel rumour.
Crazy.

Sent using Tapatalk

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

KE7FNS wrote:
M1DNS wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:23 pm Maybe.

I just don't understand this type of thing, especially given such rumours come from nowhere, with no reasoning at all.

As your reply stated updates are still being pushed out, but some are obviously blind to this, so their inabilities fuel rumour.
Crazy.
Well, I wouldn't say it comes from nowhere, they are simply using deductive reasoning to arrive at a conclusion.

Yes, but the wrong conclusion. As a new update to the dashboard was pushed out a day before the post. And continue to be.

Sent using Tapatalk

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
KE0FHS

Post by KE0FHS »

M1DNS wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:34 pm Yes, but the wrong conclusion. As a new update to the dashboard was pushed out a day before the post. And continue to be.
I'd also really appreciate a bit more info about the development roadmap. We have an aging stable release (3.4.17) that can't be used with the three most recent RPi boards, and a beta version that has received only minor updates over the past few months, and not very many of those (the last one was a drop shadow, and while that looks nice, it doesn't really help get the release candidate closer to a stable release).

Even an update about the roadmap that just said something along the lines of "Hey, be patient, it's going to be a few more months before 4.1 is a stable release" would be welcome. At least that would give us a bit better idea of what to expect. If, for some reason, an update about the roadmap can't happen, then so be it, but I can still hope for one! :)

I also think we can be a bit more understanding that people who don't keep an eye on the commits in the GitHub repositories (it took me two years of using Pi-Star before I figured that out) may not be able to tell whether anything is happening, especially with the new version staying in beta for so long.
73, Toshen, KE0FHS
Playing with Pi-Star (unofficial notes about setting up and using Pi-Star):
https://amateurradionotes.com/pi-star.htm
G8SEZ

Post by G8SEZ »

A very simple way to find out what's changed is to have a look at Andy's github page, it has a nice little graphic that makes new stuff very obvious.

Look here:

https://github.com/AndyTaylorTweet

it shows the repos that Andy frequents. There is also one for the other Andy, CA6JAU, who is more involved with the modem:

https://github.com/juribeparada

These pages are easily refreshed and examined, you can then have a look to see what is new.

Pistars update overnight, but don't forget to log in via SSH and run a sudo pistar-update then a pistar-upgrade to ensure you pick up OS updates for the underlying Raspbian release. Reboot if you end up with a mount busy message.

HTH 73 etc
--

Brian G8SEZ
G8SEZ

Post by G8SEZ »

Yes, what you say is true, but radio amateurs are supposed to be involved in self-training so it's not too hard to look and ask. Maybe a sticky post somewhere to give people pointers.

Thanks for pointing out the OS updating scripts, I had actually missed this change because Andy has not posted any announcements for the last 2 RCs. I now realise why some of my Pi Zeros have already applied updates when I have not done them manually.

Even the tech savvy have blind spots! :D
--

Brian G8SEZ
KE0FHS

Post by KE0FHS »

KE7FNS wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:28 am someone who isn't really familiar with github is just going to plug in "pi-star" in a google search and end up at one of these places, not at Andy's github.
https://www.pistar.uk
https://forum.pistar.uk/
https://www.mw0mwz.co.uk/pi-star/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/pistarusergroup/
Good point. I've long had a subtle link to Andy Taylor's GitHub repositories at the top of the Playing with Pi-Star article (the dashboard version number is linked to https://github.com/AndyTaylorTweet?tab=repositories), but I just added a more obvious one in the section that discusses Pi-Star Updates.
73, Toshen, KE0FHS
Playing with Pi-Star (unofficial notes about setting up and using Pi-Star):
G8SEZ

Post by G8SEZ »

I also note that Andy has just made 25 commits to the dashboard and the version is now today's date.

Development is still ongoing...
--

Brian G8SEZ
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

KE7FNS wrote:
M1DNS wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:34 pm Yes, but the wrong conclusion. As a new update to the dashboard was pushed out a day before the post. And continue to be.
Well, lets just take a second and follow the path and see how someone easily arrives at that conclusion though.

The pistar updates happen in the middle of the night for me. I don't have any indication that anything ever succeeded or failed (unless I decide to kick off an update manually). I have no indications that something new was added or what changes were recently made, or even as to why. To the end user there is no real noticeable difference.

Even when I come to the forum to look for update information, that information is completely absent. It should be at least mentioned somewhere, maybe in an announcements/recent updates/whats new area..

Addressing the above reply to my comments...
Sorry but I couldn't disagree with you more. ( And I don't mean that as a sign of disrespect. Personally I think both yourself and Torsen do a great job in answering Qs here on the forum, between you, you both seem to handle 98% of the questions asked her. And most all times you both give good balanced, correct answers Image).
But really... you cannot argue that it's reasonable for someone to state the project has been abandoned, there have been no recent movement on the project, failure to produce new updates etc. etc. when that same person doesn't pertain the ability or knowledge to know or recognise when an update occures. It's just fueling more speculation and rumour.
although I will relent and say maybe it is a good thing they at least posted it here, if for nothing more than this thread / conversation with you guys.

Toshen: Pi-Star 4.0.x codeline went through a few release candidates, but never stabilized enough to become a regular release.

It wasn't so much that it didn't stabilise, more that Raspbian Buster became the recommended OS for 3B+ 3A+ pi's.

4.0 was built on raspbian stretch with a kernal hack written by Andy that made it work with the 3B+ 3A+ Buster made that hack irrelevant so work continued there..

and when following on up through pistar releases using different versions of the raspbian OS it isn't a simple pistar-update/ upgrade process Hence the need to reimage between 3.4 4.0 & 4.1
Jessy, Stretch, Buster. So 4.0 became 4.1

General reply comments...

re: flow of info. emmmm, not sure there... with all the distractions of everyday life, it's demand on a persons time, work, family, futhur education etc.
Time spent updating you all of progress made, intention, direction etc. is time stolen from development. I'd sooner work be done in features, updates, bug fixes etc. Then pushing out text about what changes were just made.

Ps. Personal standing.
Ive said it all along and still stick to what I believe. If pistar doesn't work for you, you have other options. ( I realise that isn't what you both are suggesting or saying above, so indulge me) but, if someone needs something more (or something less) go do it.. educate yourself. None of us wake up in the morning with instant knowledge, you learn. Learn to code, the mmdvm project is readily available and installs in practically every OS you need it to run with.
With the ability to learn, you can do what ever you need do to suit your particular use case. If someone needs a taylored install, learn how.

with a project like pistar it caters to everyone, yet no one in particular, the features you want to see aren't the features another wants to see, the time dedicated to a specific something will have no regard to someone who wants something else addressed. 4.1 is beta RC, we believe it's ready to go, but we have users who say it shouldn't be used as they have issues with it. Others reply it runs fine, but those with issue never provide enough info.

It's a two way thing development, a FB post shouting the update broke my repeater holds no info. It works fine when we revert to the old version. Ok but 500 others are using this release with no issue... So what do we do?

When pushed for info or specifics, most times we just get silence, a few specific pictures of the dashboard webpages or' I don't know anything about it, my friend set it up for us and now he's elsewhere... Were all using the same image, were all using the same foundation hardware. What makes yours or the 3 that are being reported as 'broken' different from the others ??? So you take a stab in the dark, an educated guess as to what it might be, sometimes it pays off, other times it just creates another problem.

And of course all this with out mention of changes in OS and it's dependencies, influences of software updates, firmware updates, many times that in itself makes it a rolling ball that ur trying to stay balance atop, making an ongoing progress report / update very difficult to maintain.
and finally we all know if we stated we just pushed an update that now shows the dashboards green bits to show blue, every man and his dog will blame those changes for his changes in BER, or higher packet loss, higher pi temps, broken audio, failure to login, even though nothing that would / could effect that changed. Sometimes there's a thing in providing to much info. Image but joking aside I do understand what ur asking for, just don't know how that can be accomplished without stealing time elsewhere.

Andrew M1DNS, (Mod)

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
kc7ngc

Post by kc7ngc »

Ok, been a lurker on here for awhile as been playing with Pistar for about a year. But as a contributor to 3 dozen or so opensource projects including the Linux kernel I am starting to wonder why this is still even a thread.

There are really only two basic rules for opensource when interacting with developers who take time away from their friends and family to better the community through the contribution of their time and ideas.

Rule #1: Users should report bugs and issues to Developers
Rule #2: Users should not become the issue that bugs Developers

Declaring or insinuating that someones project dead or even starting the rumor without attempting to contact the developer or the community can be enough to get you banned from some projects forums. It generally considered an ignorant statement and considered one of the most offensive thing you can say about a project as its a slander against the development teams time and efforts. If the developer says project is active then out of respect for their efforts it should be the end of the discussion. It shouldn't become a debate about their lack of communication, or participation on the forums, etc. If you use their product, then thank them for their time and efforts and move on.

Most developers will choose putting 1 hour into code vs 1 an hour into docs any day. So often see little status on many projects and their forums. I use private branches all the time when developing code on github so I don't have to deal with users complaining about compile problems on a branch that is not yet a complete thought let alone complete code. So it could be 3 months or more before you seen even a commit on some of my stuff.

If you think community could benefit for more information about what development is going on. Then start a thread, monitor the git repositories and post daily about "Hey, this is the cool thing the developer just pushed out to us today" and thank them for their time. Thinking that developer should sacrifice more of their lives to meet anyone's unmet expectations is unrealistic and somewhat selfish because they are volunteers and we are all freeloaders benefiting from their generosity. As a users of opensource code and projects it is our jobs to support the developers not the other way around. So every question answered by a user is one less thing absorbing the developers precious time. That's how it should be.

Lets all buy developers and whatever support team exists a beer, thank them for their time ........................and kill this thread.
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

kc7ngc wrote:Ok, been a lurker on here for awhile as been playing with Pistar for about a year. But as a contributor to 3 dozen or so opensource projects including the Linux kernel I am starting to wonder why this is still even a thread.

There are really only two basic rules for opensource when interacting with developers who take time away from their friends and family to better the community through the contribution of their time and ideas.

Rule #1: Users should report bugs and issues to Developers
Rule #2: Users should not become the issue that bugs Developers

Declaring or insinuating that someones project dead or even starting the rumor without attempting to contact the developer or the community can be enough to get you banned from some projects forums. It generally considered an ignorant statement and considered one of the most offensive thing you can say about a project as its a slander against the development teams time and efforts. If the developer says project is active then out of respect for their efforts it should be the end of the discussion. It shouldn't become a debate about their lack of communication, or participation on the forums, etc. If you use their product, then thank them for their time and efforts and move on.

Most developers will choose putting 1 hour into code vs 1 an hour into docs any day. So often see little status on many projects and their forums. I use private branches all the time when developing code on github so I don't have to deal with users complaining about compile problems on a branch that is not yet a complete thought let alone complete code. So it could be 3 months or more before you seen even a commit on some of my stuff.

If you think community could benefit for more information about what development is going on. Then start a thread, monitor the git repositories and post daily about "Hey, this is the cool thing the developer just pushed out to us today" and thank them for their time. Thinking that developer should sacrifice more of their lives to meet anyone's unmet expectations is unrealistic and somewhat selfish because they are volunteers and we are all freeloaders benefiting from their generosity. As a users of opensource code and projects it is our jobs to support the developers not the other way around. So every question answered by a user is one less thing absorbing the developers precious time. That's how it should be.

Lets all buy developers and whatever support team exists a beer, thank them for their time ........................and kill this thread.
Yep, basically the way I also see it.

One of the reason Andy brought in additional admin/ moderators, Beta testing etc. was so he could use what time he had to continue coding.

bug reports, informative detailed reports/ criticism will never be ignored, But.Time is a very valuable asset, no matter what you are trying to accomplish.

Sent using Tapatalk

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.