VPN with Pi-Star

All IP networking related issues
N4GWB

VPN with Pi-Star

Post by N4GWB »

Can a VPN service be installed on the front end of rapsbian with Pi-Star to always use a VPN service?

So, I have figured out how to get my Pi-Star spot to connect to a WIFI hotspot that requires no password or encryption (WITH lots of help here). I also have been using a travel router with my VPN to get by blocked ports on the public wifi that has not allowed Pi-Star to work. But, I would rather use the hotspot directly with public WIFI and a VPN to get around the port blocks without having to use the travel router JUST for the purpose of using the VPN.

I have searched and found no information on whether this would work. VPN is not built in to Pi-Star (although it would be nice). Can I install other VPN software (I use IPVANISH) to automatically connect every time via the raspberry pi with Pi-Star?

REPHRASING to make my question more clear.... I know a VPN can be used with a raspberry pi... I am asking if anything can coexist with Pi-Star and work properly?

Thanks!
Bill
N4GWB
DG0OFZ

Re: VPN with Pi-Star

Post by DG0OFZ »

Hi Bill,

I'm using OpenVPN with my Pi-Star 3 based repeater since several months here. No problems so far.
It can easily installed via "apt-get install ...". After the configuration you have to modify the firewall rules of Pi-Star to let the daemon communicate.
73s de Thomas, DG0OFZ
N4GWB

Post by N4GWB »

Okay... You had me up until the firewall part. I totally understand what you are saying, but as to how to set the firewall rules, I am clueless.

Can you point me to where I might be able to figure this out? I am somewhat more advanced than the clueless and dangerous computer user, but not by a whole heck of a lot.
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

You'll need to create an entry in the iptable.

Firstly don't forget rpi-rw to make the disk writable.

edit /root/ipv4.fw with the FW rule you need to access for the new port ?

eg.

iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 222 -j ACCEPT

assuming in this example the new port is 222. Using TCP.

Save the file.

apply the changes with
sudo pistar-firewall

restart the pi.

http://wiki.pistar.uk/Adding_custom_fir ... to_Pi-Star

https://www.howtogeek.com/177621/the-be ... -firewall/

Andrew M1DNS, (Mod)

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
DG0OFZ

Post by DG0OFZ »

There is nothing to add. Andrew explained everything "pi-star special" to implement your own firewall rules.
I've done it the same way.

You have to know, with which protocol and on which port(s) your vpn software is communicating. Maybe you will find this in the documentation of your vpn software.
73s de Thomas, DG0OFZ
N4GWB

Post by N4GWB »

Great, thanks for the pointers. It does not appear to be that difficult so I think I will be able to give it a go.
N9OIG

Post by N9OIG »

This VPN works well.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1113

N9OIG
Kevin
N9OIG