DMR Gateway for a dumb smart person

Help with DMR issues
n5amd

DMR Gateway for a dumb smart person

Post by n5amd »

Hey all!

For the life of me I am having the hardest time wrapping my head around rewrite rules in dmrgateway. I have tried several variation of the config and have not been able to achieve what im hoping will work, and that is simultaneously:
- Connect to an XLX server on any timeslot using TG6. Locked to a single slot is ok, but not preferred.
- Connect to Brandmesiter on any timeslot using all the standard TGs. Im hoping people can use any timeslot for BM.

Often when I try this, XLX works fine, but Brandmeister parrot only works on TS2, nothing else. TS1 will not even work. How do I go from having only BM enabled to both XLX and BM working?
Ben
N5AMD
www.n5amd.com
W1KMC

Re: DMR Gateway for a dumb smart person

Post by W1KMC »

OK dumb smart person :-) - here we go!

The DMRGateway does allow for Brandmeister (TG9/TS2)*, DMR+ (TG8/TS2)*, DMR2YSF OR (not and) DMR2NXDN (TG 7/TS2)*, and XLX (TG 6/TS2)*

* Hotspots can only use Time Slot 2 UNLESS you have a duplex board (2 antennae) - and in the case of a duplex board, someone else will have to step in here as I don't have one (that works, can't find my offsets).

I don't mess with the rewrite rules because as far as I know they are set in the image correctly.

The TG 9 and TG 8 are for reflectors 4xxx where you talk on 9 for BM and 8 for DMR+

TG 7 of the crossover modes has changed as well as XLX if I recall correctly.

I prefer DMR2YSF where YSF rooms are 5 digis long but extended to 7 by prefix 70, so YSF room 39804 is entered as 7039804 in your radio. FCS rooms FCS002-90 (all FCS rooms are 3 digits, as saying on air FCS 290, not FCS00290), for example is extended to 7 digits by prefixing 7100XXX so 7100290 here.

DMR2NXDN is the same way - exended to 7 digits padded with leading zeros -- 2 examples NXDN 420 is 3 digits so it becomes 7000420, whereas 31090 is 5 digits so it becomes 7031090 -- always 7 digits.

I remeber reading how to manipulate XLX in the same way, using 6 but for the life of me I cannot remember where (KE0EHS's [toshen's]) page amateurradionotes.com, I think.

W1MSG Craig has videos on Youtube, but watch the dates as some are a year or more old and things change, also, on videos where he speaks on these manipulation functions, he talks and works his radio to which you cnnot see what he is doing and goes a bit too fast as he is pushing buttons and keys and it works but does not SHOW you how, which is why I cannot recommend watching those, you can if you want, but I cannot guarantee they will help you, they didn't help me, they left me more confused.

Hope this gives you some insight and I am willing to help 1-to-1, but don't PM, google and find my 2 clubs, they have phone numbers there, call, and if you have TeamViewer, I can even walk you through the radio setup.

Good Luck

The thing is you did not say what radio you are using
I am no developer, guru, expert, nor do I claim to be or want to be. All advice I give is purely from experience and my efforts to help others.

W1KMC - Kevin M Carman
Bangor, ME
Jumbospot on a Pi0W
DMR 3123142 & 3123143
HHUS Trunk Ext 4329
n5amd

Post by n5amd »

Hi Kevin!

Thank you so much for your reply. I am using DMR to access DMRGateway through a repeater/dual hotspot. So what you are saying then is, in Brandmeisters connection, I would HAVE to use TG 9 to talk (just like using TG6 for XLX) and would use a different TG to change talk groups? Meaning for example, I would have to program something like 40310 into my radio in order to switch to TG 310?
I was hoping to leave Brandmeisters operation from a repeater/dual hotspot standpoint business as usual while enabling TG6 for XLX. I think this is where i am having trouble understanding DMR Gateway's implementation.
Ben
N5AMD
www.n5amd.com
AF6VN

Post by AF6VN »

n5amd wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:08 pm Brandmeisters connection, I would HAVE to use TG 9 to talk (just like using TG6 for XLX) and would use a different TG to change talk groups? Meaning for example, I would have to program something like 40310 into my radio in order to switch to TG 310?
I was hoping to leave Brandmeisters operation from a repeater/dual hotspot standpoint business as usual while enabling TG6 for XLX. I think this is where i am having trouble understanding DMR Gateway's implementation.
Tossing the gateway into the mix means my comments may be trash...

I believe TG9 usage would involve making a /private/ call to the desired talkgroup number to activate it, then reverting to group call on TG9 for communications. Note: US Brandmeister does not use reflectors -- all talk groups were available directly by talk group number, so the use of TG9 wasn't that critical (whereas UK/Europe repeaters tend to be configured for reflectors only using TG9).

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber
W1KMC

Post by W1KMC »

In my original reply I stated I do not have a DUAL board so I am no longer of help here.

But No program the radio as TG 310 on TS 2 on your Hotspot frequency -- REFLECTORS use the 4xxx in both Brandmeister AND DMR+ but do not necessarily go to the same places using the same number. I won't use them for that reason.

AF6VN is right and wrong -- Brandmeister DOES use reflectors, but I believe they have been removed from US masters, (Even I could be wrong here), want reflectors - try BM PHEONIX master (UK).

Hotspots (single antenna versions) are simplex and only work on TS2 -- everything goes through TS2. The Dual boards (Two antennae on the board) are duplex (Separate TX and RX frequencies (look at the antenna markings on the board) ) but on these you CAN enable TS1 -- the two boards I have, I cannot find the offsets to make the darn things work so I gave up on dual boards.

Someone else will have to help from now on as you have a dual board which I know nothing about.

Good Luck.
I am no developer, guru, expert, nor do I claim to be or want to be. All advice I give is purely from experience and my efforts to help others.

W1KMC - Kevin M Carman
Bangor, ME
Jumbospot on a Pi0W
DMR 3123142 & 3123143
HHUS Trunk Ext 4329
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

Kevin there is no such thing as BM phoenix. Phoenix is associated with the DRM+ network, which of course isn't BM.

Most of the EU servers cater to reflector linking. The US admins decided a good while back they're not going to support them. But UK Ireland Denmark and a lot others do.

Reflector linking, links are made via a private call 4400 eg. Gets you connected to UK wide. Tg9 to talk through.

84400 gets you UK wide but on the DMR+ network,
using tg8 to talk through.

68*** gets you onto an XLX reflector eg. 68303 for XLX303,
68005 for XLX005, 68850 gets you onto XLX850
following up with 64002 gets you onto the B, 64004 links with the D module. Then TG6 to talk through.
Of course DMR gateway makes this all possible.

Andrew M1DNS, (Mod)

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
n5amd

Post by n5amd »

I cant thank y'all enough for taking the time to reply to this thread, but i'm still hoping to get some configuration help for this.
I was hoping to leave Brandmeisters operation from a repeater/dual hotspot standpoint business as usual while enabling TG6 for XLX. If someone has this working, what is your config? Are there other steps to check outside of the dmrgateway raw config?
Ben
N5AMD
www.n5amd.com
n5amd

Post by n5amd »

So it was as simple as:
PassAllPC0=1
PassAllTG0=1
PassAllPC1=2
PassAllTG1=2

I kept doing:
PassAllPC0=1
PassAllTG0=1
PassAllPC0=2
PassAllTG0=2

See, dumb smart person here! :lol:

I just tested it and its working. My goodness I cant thank you enough ct1dvm. For future folks wanting to try this out on their dualspot/repeater:
Step 1: enable dmrgateway in pi-star configuration page and configure the setting.
Step 2: In the expert page do a "DMR Gateway Full edit":

[XLX Network]
Startup=###
Enabled=1
File=/usr/local/etc/XLXHosts.txt
Port=62030
Password=passw0rd
ReloadTime=60
Slot=2
TG=6
Base=64000
Relink=60
Debug=0
Id=######
UserControl=1
Module=<A-Z>

[DMR Network 1]
Enabled=1
Address=74.91.114.19
Port=62031
PassAllPC0=1
PassAllTG0=1
PassAllPC1=2
PassAllTG1=2
Password="<PASSWORD>"
Debug=0
Name=BM_United_States_3102
Id=#######

For anyone wondering I made a page about DMR Gateway for those that might not be overly familiar with it:
https://n5amd.com/digital-radio-how-tos ... explained/
Ben
N5AMD
www.n5amd.com
VE3RD

Post by VE3RD »

I have a completely different method of using the gateway that allows me to dial up a channel in my radio that puts me on any desired network/tg in the DMRGateway

Each Network has only one Rewrite rule. if you need private call, then you need the PCRewrite rule as well. I don't use it.
Net 1 (Brandmeister)
TGRewrite=2,1000001,2,1,999999

Net 2 (DMR+ / DMR Marc)
TGRewrite=2,2000001,2,1,999999

Net 3 (DMR2YSF - I don't currently use this)
TGRewrite=2,3000001,2,1,999999

Net 4 (TGIF)
TGRewrite=2,4000001,2,1,999999

Net 5 (FDARN)
TGRewrite=2,5000001,2,1,999999

With this arrangement the radio channel set to TG 4031665 puts me on TG 31665 on the TGIF Network.
Dialing up a radio channel set to 1000310 puts me on Brandmeister 310.

Explanation of TGRewrite=2,5000001,2,1,999999
2 - RF Time Slot
5000001 - RF - First TG of a series
2 - Network Time Slot
1 - Network - First TG of a series
999999- quantity of tg's in the series
(ie RF 5000310 translates to 310 on Net5). The return on Net5 310 translated back to radio 5000310)

The TGRewrite rule is bi-directional
The PCRewrite rule is not bi-directional so you need two rules for private call\

PCRewrite=2,5000001,2,1,999999 - send RF out to server
SrcRewrite=2,1,2,5000001,999999 - receive from server and send out RF

For a full explanation of ALL the rules checkout
https://github.com/g4klx/DMRGateway/wiki/Rewrite-Rules