Missing reflector

Help with D-Star related issues
kc3lyz

Missing reflector

Post by kc3lyz »

A few days ago, the Dcs679a blind hams reflector seems to have
Disappeared from the hosts list so I can no longer link it.
It is still valid on repeaters, so something must have gone
Wrong with the update. It is fairly new, having been added in the summer I think.
N8EI

Re: Missing reflector

Post by N8EI »

I saw this thread awhile back and the coincidentally was asked the same question by one of our D-STAR users. Do you know who runs the reflector and what type it is? Looking at the XLX registration list, XLX679 isn't registered (see http://xlx.megalink.network/index.php?show=reflectors as example). Similarly, there is no listing for an "XRF" type reflector at http://xrefl.net/ nor is that one of the original DCS reflectors.

If their original provider went away, I'd be happy to host a reflector for that user community on XLX330 on one of the many unused modules or run a new XLX679 as a separate reflector system depending on how many people want to use it (assuming I can get the ID too).
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

For it to appear in the pistar host files the reflector needs to be using and reporting with it's 'call home feature' within the XLX software.
If it does and it's reporting it's ip address to XLX, it'll appear in the host files as pistar uses that source to obtain their reported ip adds. used with other sources to build the host files which are pushed out by the (overnight) updates. So there's a need to confirm it's reporting successfully to XLX.

If it isn't reporting via call home it won't appear in the hosts. (unless the admin team are aware, then manual edits can put it right) This is std. to all pistar builds.

So, If an independant repeater is able to make a connection, is that repeater running pistar? If not it'll most prob. have it's own 'independant' host files loaded onto it that won't be subject to change as with the live host nature of pistar, still having the original address info etc. in situ.

As the reflector name has already been registered and thereby claimed. it might be difficult to use that same name again in another seperate usecase without consent from the original owner or might only be available if the original owner relinquishes it. Of course that being subject to it being the case that it's no longer active.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
N8EI

Post by N8EI »

I got in touch with KE4DYI who runs the D-STAR reflector for DCS679. He had a system crash and wasn't able to recover the callinghome.php file with the hash and has had problems getting it to show back up in the XLX registration directory.

The reflector is online and operable. If you put the following override in your /root/DCS_Hosts.txt file you'll be good to go:

Code: Select all

DCS679          45.79.180.62
Please note that this will not make DCS679 appear in the Admin menu where there's the drop-down to select a D-STAR connection. I just wasted a serious amount of time on that false assumption (see my other thread from today :oops: ). But it works just fine when you key it up from the radio.