Allstar

Suggest new features here
wa4css

Allstar

Post by wa4css »

Would it be possible to add support to access the Allstar network through Pi-Star ?

Jerry
WA4CSS
W1KMC

Re: Allstar

Post by W1KMC »

Sorry, but as stated in this forum a few times now, AllStarLink is an analog mode. Pi-Star is Digital only, so adding Allstar is not possible.

You could just make another Pi an allstar node but as to a radio board or how to connect a 'spare' radio to it, is not a discussion for this forum. Try hamvoip.org for that.
I am no developer, guru, expert, nor do I claim to be or want to be. All advice I give is purely from experience and my efforts to help others.

W1KMC - Kevin M Carman
Bangor, ME
Jumbospot on a Pi0W
DMR 3123142 & 3123143
HHUS Trunk Ext 4329
W1KMC

Post by W1KMC »

I ran into that and there is a post somewhere on the allstarlink or hamvoip or some forum about putting a HOLD on the kernel so it doesn't get updated and it works fine.

The REAL problem is that the asterisk version they use went out with the dinosaurs (2.1, I think) Asterisk is now up to 16 so they need to make it work with Asterisk 13 or better.

Load in the raspi version on allstarlink website and before you do the apt-get update , find the post on how to freeze the kernel and you should be good to go after that.

So the kernel is frozed in time...well so is the ancient asterisk.
I am no developer, guru, expert, nor do I claim to be or want to be. All advice I give is purely from experience and my efforts to help others.

W1KMC - Kevin M Carman
Bangor, ME
Jumbospot on a Pi0W
DMR 3123142 & 3123143
HHUS Trunk Ext 4329
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

wa4css wrote:Would it be possible to add support to access the Allstar network through Pi-Star ?

Jerry
WA4CSS
I can't see it happening.
Given pistar is heavily exclusive of MMDVM /MMDVMhost and Dstarrepeater which cater only to digital comms. and networks.

Look at the DV switch online groups, they're all doing interesting things based around allstar.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
W1KMC

Post by W1KMC »

we were You said that it was dead in raspbian, it's not but it DOES use old stuff already.

OP asked if Allstar could be added, my short answer was NO. Even M1DNS said so (Admins, you have locked other threads like this real quick. I think you need to do the same here).

Read my sig, I am NOT a guru - do with my advice what you will, but no need to be rude about it, especially when you were NOT the OP.

I wish Allstarlink (either from their own site (ASL image IS based on Asterisk 2.something as I cannot find ANY location to just grab app_rpt.so anywhere) or hamvoip site in their, as you say, ancient image, update to the latest and greatest asterisk and all modules into new images.

But the oroiginal answer of no, allstar cannot be added to pistar. but I do have one running on a pi3 with the frozen kernel, but do what you will with the advice.

I'm done with this thread, Sorry OP.

W1KMC - Kevin M Carman
Bangor, ME
Jumbospot on a Pi0W
DMR 3123142 & 3123143
HHUS Trunk Ext 4329
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

W1KMC wrote:
OP asked if Allstar could be added, my short answer was NO. Even M1DNS said so (Admins, you have locked other threads like this real quick. I think you need to do the same here).

I'm done with this thread, Sorry OP.
Kevin, were not going to lock a thread just because someone is debating a statement you made or giving their opinion they don't think the same. Image

If the comments turn nasty, personal, vindictive etc. then yeah we'll lock it and have a word with any perpetrator.

But personally It's still discussion at this point as I see it.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.