RPi 3 A+ running V4.1.0 RC7

General support for the Pi-Star System
VK5BB

RPi 3 A+ running V4.1.0 RC7

Post by VK5BB »

Hi,

I have been playing with the Pi-Star based hot spots for a couple of years and they have all worked very nicely.

I would like to report my experiences so that those working in the development of the software can take into account my findings.

Recently I have been playing with the RPi 3A+ and the first unit loaded with V4.1.0 RC4, a N5BOC simplex hat and 2.8" Nextion screen, works well.

I have just built another RPi 3A+, using "spares", a Chinese Jumbo hat left over when replaced with the N5BOC hat, and a 3.5" Nextion screen. This unit I loaded V4.1.0 RC7 and it to works hmmm OK?

With the Beta releases, I generally run updates frequently, no problems here.

I also set a default reflector connection (VK5RWN C) for on boot up and this has worked OK on all previous iterations of my Pi-star hot spots.

Problems I have experienced with the latest V4.1.0 RC7 on the RPi 3A+........

On boot up, takes awhile, when all up I check that the default connection has been made?
The Pi-Star Dashboard shows "Linked to VK5RWN C", and the VK5RWN Dashboard shows that I am connected as a remote user
However when I transmit via the hot spot, it does not seem to pass through to the repeater gateway and the repeater dashboard does not show my connection and activity?

If I "Unlink" and check status via "Info" ( I ), the hot spot reports "Not Linked"
I then re-initiate the link and the hot spot reports, "Linked to VK5RWN Charlie"
From then on all is good and all seems to work OK?

This happens on every cold boot and only on the V4.1.0 RC7?

I double checked with the unit running V4.1.0 RC4 and that boots up OK and links to VK5RWN C OK on boot up.

So there is some subtle differences between the linking function on boot up.

Other points that I have noticed is that the RPi 3A+ seems to run hot and when they hit 50 degrees C, they just about stall in operation.

My RPi 3B will warm up to somewhere in the upper 40's but generally doe not get to 50 degrees.

FYI

A question?

Back until late 2019, on booting up any of my hot spots, when they became active, Pi-Star verbally reported, "Linked to VK5RWN Charlie"

After I ran updates in December???? since that time, the hot spot no longer reports where it is connected on boot up, so I am not sure whether the default connection was successful?

Has this feature been removed from the system?

Have fun with your hot spots and enjoy the hobby.

73, Ben VK5BB
KE0FHS

Re: RPi 3 A+ running V4.1.0 RC7

Post by KE0FHS »

Max operating temp for an RPi is 85 C. While 50 C is warm, it shouldn't be anywhere near the point where the temp causes throttling (that should occur around 80 C). My 3B+ hotspots regularly operate as high as 60 C, with no issues. One reason I like the 3A+ hotspots is that they operate cooler than the 3B+, typically 50 C max.

If your 3A+ is throttling at 50 C, it may well be defective.
73, Toshen, KE0FHS
Playing with Pi-Star (unofficial notes about setting up and using Pi-Star):
https://amateurradionotes.com/pi-star.htm
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

I'll go with Torsens comments above as I've moved most of my hotspots onto using 3A+ they average around 50 /52°c and doesn't affect use in any way. I've only one running DSTAR (runs on a duplex board DMR & DSTAR) but just like the others running other modes, I have no problem with temp. or performance.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
VK5BB

Post by VK5BB »

Hi and thanks for the feedback.

Re the throttling back??

Had to wait awhile for the unit to run hot and now it is, and the RPi 3A+ seems to be still working OK.

Currently it is running at 52.6 d C.

Ran the 'sudo vcgencmd get_throttled' command and received the following report;

'throttled=0x50005'

I am not sure what the means but the hot spot is working nicely connected to REF030C which is currently active with QSOs running.

My previous reporting on possible throttling back was based on while i was in SSH mode, it was very slow to respond to commands etc. On this occasion, the unit responded very timely so seems to be OK.

In the time of this email the unit has run up to 53.7 d C and seems OK?

73, Ben VK5BB
KE0FHS

Post by KE0FHS »

Jason, I'm impressed! Thanks for continuing to provide so much expert help on the forum.
73, Toshen, KE0FHS
KE0FHS

Post by KE0FHS »

For comparison, I just ran sudo vcgencmd get_throttled on my 3A+ hotspot and got: 0x0
using a CanaKit USB-C 5.1V 3.5A power supply.
73, Toshen, KE0FHS
VK5BB

Post by VK5BB »

Hi,

Many thanks for the feed back, very much appreciated. It really is a bit of a learning curve playing at this level, however with the right prompting, I can "follow the bouncing ball"!

OK, re the power supply, I am aware of power supply issues with the RPi's but did not think of it here as I generally run them of my computer USB port or a portable 5 volt USB battery pack. I think the old adage here is; "Never assume?" Even the computer USB may be low?

However I will investigate this further. At this time I fitted a USB voltage and current dongle into the power circuit and it is showing around the 4.8 volts at 290mA. I am also not sure of the losses through these dongles so will have to check that out too.

Just ran : dmesg | grep -i volt

Serious under voltage issues..........

pi-star@pi-star(ro):~$ dmesg | grep -i volt
[ 6.233442] Under-voltage detected! (0x00050005)
[ 45.752004] Voltage normalised (0x00000000)
[ 70.712025] Under-voltage detected! (0x00050005)
[ 74.872016] Voltage normalised (0x00000000)
[ 85.272022] Under-voltage detected! (0x00050005)
[ 122.712019] Voltage normalised (0x00000000)
pi-star@pi-star(ro):~$

The above was when the unit is running off a fully charged 10,000mAh battery pack. Need to check the leads too? It is not as if 300 - 400 mA is that much to cause voltage drop but then with cheap leads you can never be sure? The USB voltage/current monitoring dongle is showing a bit of jitter on both voltage corresponding with current changes.

OK, running: top

top - 13:51:45 up 5 min, 2 users, load average: 0.00, 0.07, 0.04
Tasks: 116 total, 1 running, 115 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie
%Cpu(s): 0.4 us, 0.5 sy, 0.0 ni, 99.1 id, 0.0 wa, 0.0 hi, 0.0 si, 0.0 st
MiB Mem : 477.9 total, 278.4 free, 107.0 used, 92.6 buff/cache
MiB Swap: 0.0 total, 0.0 free, 0.0 used. 305.2 avail Mem

The only thing running on this RPi 3A+ is Pi-Star V4.1.0 RC7 and is only configured for D-Star operation.

My next step is to put it on my service bench in the shack and run it off the bench supply and see what happens?

73, Ben VK5BB
VK5BB

Post by VK5BB »

Hi,

Further to my last post, it is all in the lead!!!

I have changed the lead I have been normally using to a shorter heavier?? lead and.............no throttling back and no low voltage issues. Currently running off my main home computer, an older HP, and there does not seem to be any issues.

I consistently get the following reports;

pi-star@pi-star(ro):~$ sudo vcgencmd get_throttled
throttled=0x0
throttled=0x0
throttled=0x0
throttled=0x0
throttled=0x0
throttled=0x0
pi-star@pi-star(ro):~$

Also, the unit is running cooler sitting between 48 d C to 50 d C then slowly toggling between the two even when the hot spot is active in a QSO.

The unit has been running for a couple of hours, had a number of longish QSO's and all seems to work neatly.

Ran a load test on one cut USB lead and at 5.01 volts @ 600 mA it dropped 2 volts, so it is all in the lead!

More tests to run, including on these USB battery power bank units, it seems they do sag under load.

Thanks again, I will add more information when I more to report.

73, Ben VK5BB
VK5BB

Post by VK5BB »

Hi,

Thank you to all who have responded and provided advice and guidance.

Just a followup with some of my recent findings.

I have set up a USB lead breakout connector which is connected to my electronic variable power supply dummy load, I can vary the current drawn at the input voltage and watch both current and voltage at the terminals. Separately I can monitor the source voltage at the USB A connector to see what the power supply does under load.

In testing several 5 volt USB style battery packs,
My cheap 8000mAh unit sags from 5.01 volts to 4.88 volts at 500mA.
A friends 26,600mAh unit sags from 5.22 volts to 4.98 volts at 500mA.

The lead that I used is a heavier style lead, 300mm long, USB A to USB micro.
Connected to a small buck regulator, from 13.8v to 5.1 volts, when under load, at 1000mA it drops at the micro USB end, from 5.1v to 4.98 volts. So at 1 amp, the lead drops 120 millivolts. Part of this may be in the micro USB connectors??

Further to my RPi 3A+ Pi-Star hot spots, I have confirmed that when run off a bench supply at 5.1 volts, not sagging, the hot spot runs cooler and does not throttle back, 46 -48 d C.

My new iteration RPi 3A+ unit has an on board UPS hat (DF Robot) with a single 2000mAh 3.7v LiPo cell. I am lead to believe that this UPS hat can support up 2.6 amps peak at 5 volts. This unit has been running for several hours and it too is running relatively cool at 46 d C.

So, as pointed out by many, if the RPi has a stable 5 volt supply, it appears that they do run nicely without my previously experienced throttling and running hot.

So, thank you to the folks that provide me with feedback and assistance, it has been much appreciated.

I may be found monitoring or logged into our local D-Star repeater, VK5RWN C.

Enjoy your hot spots.

Regards and 73, Ben VK5BB
w7efs

Post by w7efs »

Not sure why "sudo" was suggested for the vcgencmd invocation, but it's not at all necessary.