DMR to Dstar crossmode configuration

Help with DMR issues
vk2spb

DMR to Dstar crossmode configuration

Post by vk2spb »

Hi, I want my Jumbospot to allow me to use my DMR radio to access Reflector 001C....I want to configure my Jumbospot to go crossmode from DMR to Dstar modes...I think I may need to use XRF reflectors somehow?....Any help would be greatly appreciated.
W1KMC

Re: DMR to Dstar crossmode configuration

Post by W1KMC »

Last I knew that is the ONE crossover that can't be done.

DMR cross Modes are DMR2NXDN and DMR2YSF

DSTar is not open source so as far as I know, it can't be done

DMRby use of the DMR Gateway can use XLX REflectors, but Unless 001-C is tied into an XLX reflector, no go there either

For XLX reflectors your Talkgroups prefix the number with a 6 like this:

Using XLX 307 as an example

Make sure you have a GroupCall contact 6 in your DMR radio (this is for the gateway to XLX reflectors - Talk here)

Make a private call to 68307 - 6 prefix -- 8 is reflectors --- 307 is the reflector itself. (radio should speak to you something like 'connected to XLX 307 D' D seems to be a default -- to disconnect a reflector use 68000

To change modules, say module K, make a second private call to 64011 - 6 prefix --4 is for module change --- 011 is Module K (modules go in order from 001 to 026 -- disconnect modules would be 64000 your radio should now speak 'Connected to XLX 307 K'

I don't use XLX but this is what I remember with a little help from Toshen's website amateur Radio Notes -- the XLX notes are here: https://amateurradionotes.com/pi-star-notes.htm#addref

You use TG 6 on your radio to talk.

I am no guru - so if things have changed, someone is free to correct me. Just read my Sig before saying I am talking out my TP (that no one can find anymore) :-)
I am no developer, guru, expert, nor do I claim to be or want to be. All advice I give is purely from experience and my efforts to help others.

W1KMC - Kevin M Carman
Bangor, ME
Jumbospot on a Pi0W
DMR 3123142 & 3123143
HHUS Trunk Ext 4329
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

W1KMC wrote:
DSTar is not open source so as far as I know, it can't be done
Kevin the DSTAR over air protocol is open source, always has been. created by a Japanese ham group specific for ham use

As is KLX software inc. ircddbgateway which is used to connect to most every DSTAR network inc. those you mention above.

In this case of DSTAR what's not opensource is the dplus software or the dplus (REF) networks.
ie ref001c Many of the devices/software's can connect with it but only under agreement between that device, software developer and those that own the dplus network.

It's possible to create bridges from dmr to ref1c. It requires additional software and hardware and of course something already permitted to connect with dplus. BUT they ask those experimenting stay away from their busier reflectors like 1c 30c etc. So I guess the answer to the original post is still no.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
AF6VN

Post by AF6VN »

W1KMC wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:46 am DSTar is not open source so as far as I know, it can't be done
The AMBE (and AMBE-2) CODECs are not open source -- and one would need to be able to decode from one then re-encode to the other to go between D-STAR and DMR. That would require paying a license fee for both AMBE CODECs (per UNIT), and likely a faster processor (or one with dual DSP modules, if the CODEC can run on a DSP module).

DMR and YSF use the same AMBE(-2) CODEC, so cross-mode just requires taking the encoded payload and rewrapping it with the external overhead stuff for the other mode.

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber
vk2spb

Post by vk2spb »

Thank-you Sirs, W1KMC, M1DNS and AF6VN
kc8eds

Post by kc8eds »

If memory serves me correctly, XLX140 is connected to REF001C. If it still is, that's an easy fix if that's all you wanted to do...