Rugged spot no audio

General support for the Pi-Star System
K0ZFC

Rugged spot no audio

Post by K0ZFC » Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:03 am

I have my mmdvm Rugged Spot set up in pi-star. Everything is working except my ht won’t transmit. On the dashboard, the tx box will not go green. I have no transmit and the TX box will not go green except everything else is green. Any ideas?

KE7FNS

Re: Rugged spot no audio

Post by KE7FNS » Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:06 am

K0ZFC wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:03 am
Any ideas?
First thing you should do is check the logs for errors.

And now the bad news, it could be a number of things set incorrectly. The most common ones I can think of are using a frequency that allocated within the satellite portion of the bands. If the background of the frequency textbox in the configuration page is red, then pick a new frequency until it is green, then apply the settings.

You could have the wrong color code or TS programmed in your HT by mistake.

By default the hotspots are set on private access, which means that the DMR ID in the radio has to match the DMR ID in the hotspot or it will ignore the signal. That can be fixed by either entering the same DMR ID in both the radio and hotspot (double check them maybe you made a typo somewhere or are using someone else's codeplug and forgot to change it), or you could also just change the configuration to allow public access.

Then theres the issue with offsets, its possible the actual frequency of either the radio or the RPi hat is so far out of alignment that it isn't registering with the other. Your RPi hat should of come with some documentation (sticker on the board or anti static bag) to give you a ballpark figure, but you might need to go in and tune both the RX and TX either up or down yourself. Testing can be done easily with pistar-mmdvmcal.

Those are just a few things I think are pretty common.
All views, comments, posts and opinions shared are entirely my own.

K0ZFC

Post by K0ZFC » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:52 pm

Thanks for the reply. I just changed the Simplex frequency and it is not in the satellite band but I will check these other items and thank you again.

K0ZFC

Post by K0ZFC » Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:16 am

Thank you for the help! I used mmdvmcal and set the tx and rx offset to -300. I had tried -300 before but evidently I didn’t wait long enough but it started working so thanks again I appreciate the help. Mark K0ZFC

KE7FNS

Post by KE7FNS » Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:38 pm

K0ZFC wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:16 am
Thank you for the help! I used mmdvmcal and set the tx and rx offset to -300. I had tried -300 before but evidently I didn’t wait long enough but it started working so thanks again I appreciate the help. Mark K0ZFC
Well congratulations, I'm happy that one of those suggestions was the issue. I'm also very impressed you took the information and ran with it and used MMDVMCal to solve your problem, the vast majority of forum users would of wanted someone to hold their hand and explain how to use it step by step.

I'm at +200 on mine, the sticker that came with the modems shows -475. My HT would still function properly its just that the BER was worse, now its just about perfect.
All views, comments, posts and opinions shared are entirely my own.