link 2 Pi-Star together via LAN

General support for the Pi-Star System
KJ7IEG

link 2 Pi-Star together via LAN

Post by KJ7IEG »

Is it possible to link 2 Pi-Star together using only LAN so that the 2 Pi-Star could function essentially as linked repeater?
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Re: link 2 Pi-Star together via LAN

Post by M1DNS »

Depends on the mode you want to use.
DSTAR mode yes it could.

In others YSF NXDN P25 you'll need at least a reflector instance running on the network (or at the very least running on one of the pi's)

DMR needs a server directing it software like XLX or alternatively a HBlink instance running on the same network. Or the bigger networks like BM or dmr+ but that needs their online infrastructure. But once passed through the server you can link 121.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
KJ7IEG

Post by KJ7IEG »

What software you could use to run YSF reflector?
NQ4T

Post by NQ4T »

KJ7IEG wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 6:55 pm What software you could use to run YSF reflector?
The program to do this is literally called YSFReflector. https://register.ysfreflector.de/installation details how to install a standalone YSFReflector.

However XLX reflectors now support YSF connections...provided you specify either a default module to link to or use WIRES-X Passthrough to pick a module after connecting.

Both of these options, however, will require a Linux machine to compile (maybe windows can do it, don't know) and run the software. I also believe that XLX wants a static IP if you're going to list it publically. You can probably run a private un-listed reflector; but you will have to manually add it's information to Pi-Star's hosts file for YSFReflectors and hope the update doesn't over-write it.

Now Pi-STar does have a YSFReflector already on it..it's used for the cross-mode to YSF function. It's entirely possible to use that if you forward the proper ports to it. But I haven't attempted to do that so I don't know if you have to activate a cross-mode to turn that reflector on or if Pi-STar turns it on whenever YSF mode is active.
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

NQ4T wrote:
Now Pi-STar does have a YSFReflector already on it..it's used for the cross-mode to YSF function. It's entirely possible to use that if you forward the proper ports to it. But I haven't attempted to do that so I don't know if you have to activate a cross-mode to turn that reflector on or if Pi-STar turns it on whenever YSF mode is active.
Are you sure? as all the cross modes are handled between the firmware snd it's specific programs like ysf2dmr, dmr2ysf ysf2p25 etc, that handle cross over.

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
NQ4T

Post by NQ4T »

M1DNS wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 6:15 pm
NQ4T wrote:
Are you sure? as all the cross modes are handled between the firmware snd it's specific programs like ysf2dmr, dmr2ysf ysf2p25 etc, that handle cross over.

Unless things have drastically changed, I'm sure. Programs like DMR2YSF do in fact handle the cross-over, you're right...but they still have to send data somewhere. They're just the translator. Without a reflector/server to send that data to, they're not much use.

I ran DMR2YSF at one point to provide bridges from some XLX modules prior to XLX supporting YSF. DMR2YSF connected to the XLX module I specified, and then connected to my YSFReflector (also running on the same machine) and provided the data.
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

Ok we're obvs reading it differently to one another to me your reply makes it sound as if pistar is running a reflector locally ie 'pistar has a reflector on it'

In ur example of cross modes all's happening is the rf receive mode is stripped to it's 1s and 0s then rewrapped for the network it's getting pushed to, be that DMR tg, YSF, P25 or NXDN reflector.

Currently only DSTAR mode users can link 121. Without the addition of server / reflector software also installed somewhere alongside on the network.

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
AF6VN

Post by AF6VN »

M1DNS wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 11:09 pm Currently only DSTAR mode users can link 121. Without the addition of server / reflector software also installed somewhere alongside on the network.
I think even that makes use of a server somewhere... At the least, something in a DNS resolution to translate callsign-module into an IP address which then gets routed to the last known access point for that IP address.

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

AF6VN wrote:
I think even that makes use of a server somewhere...

Nope, calls the addresses from the user hosts that are stored in pistars root folder.

If you know a friend's ip, or a repeater ip or using the ip of any other install on ur network, select the host file for the protocol you want to use enter it into the user host along with the callsign and away you go. Connects 1to1 without needing any other resource.

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
TA3F

Post by TA3F »

Greetings Is it possible to connect with HYTERA pd985s?