APRS and GPS

General support for the Pi-Star System
KC9LYM

APRS and GPS

Post by KC9LYM »

Greetings all, I got curious and set up a GPS receiver on my hotspot. Everything seems to be working correctly, but I can't determine if it's REALLY working or not! I've been patiently waiting on the team to build more detail around it, but in the meantime, is GPS enabled now in Pi-Star?

Thanks!
Will - KC9LYM
w7efs

Re: APRS and GPS

Post by w7efs »

KC9LYM wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:41 pmEverything seems to be working correctly, but I can't determine if it's REALLY working or not!
Please think more about what you just stated.
KC9LYM

Post by KC9LYM »

Thanks! That was a very helpful response and about what I expected to get....
KO4DNG

Post by KO4DNG »

I just Checked APRS Direct (better than .fi IMHO), and mine (Ublox7) has been transmitting about every 15-20 minutes from my window. I have it on a micro to USB adapter to my Zum Spot with RPi Zero.
KJ7NAS

Post by KJ7NAS »

I have what sounds like the same GPS GLONASS USB dongle. I'd like to have APRS running also or auto update my location. I see the GPS data coming in but I see no changes within pistar. I even changed it to the tTTY/AMC1 or whatever it was recognized as. Still no joy. Has anyone had any success and if so what hardware and settings are you using? Did you install any background services?
Thank you for any feed back.
AF6VN

Post by AF6VN »

KE7FNS wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:18 am I had a GPS plugged in and was able to see coordinates in the logs by turning on debug messages, but I wasn't ever able to get it to do anything. I also couldn't find any instructions on how it was supposed to work either.
Perhaps https://nq4t.com/making-my-hotspots-bea ... tion-data/

As I understand it, mmdvmhost only grabs location information -- from the config file -- upon start-up.

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber
HA3HJ

Post by HA3HJ »

Hi OM!
I have an MMDVM Dual Hotspot.
Pi-Star:4.1.2
It has a USB GPS (GY-GPS6MV2), it works on PC.
I plug it into the Raspberry Pi 3B +, USB port.
I configure the Mobile GPS Configuration in the Pi-star interface:
MobileGPS Enable: 1
GPS Port: /dev/ttyUSB1
GPS Port Speed: 9600
Does not work!
What else do I need to set up to appear on aprs.fi?
I've looked at a lot of forums, can anyone help?
Thanks!
k0eg

Post by k0eg »

I am encountering the same situation with my configuration as the previous posters in this thread.

Any helpful information or even direction to explore would be most appreciated.

I would like to understand what function the 'Configuration|Mobile GPS Congiruation' does. I think that would set expectations for all interested.

Thank you and 73s

Karl, K0EG
AK7AN

Post by AK7AN »

Any updates with this. It would be nice to have APRS function within the Pi Star setup.
Thanks
Ed