DMR and Dstar not coexisting

General support for the Pi-Star System
KC1LPT

DMR and Dstar not coexisting

Post by KC1LPT »

I've been using DMR for quite awhile on a ZumSpot with no problems. I just got a Dstar (ID31) and toggled the Dstar function on. Both still work fine with one exception. if I have both radios on and someone keys up on DMR the Dstar radio makes a horrendous "static" sound.

It's a USB Zumspot plugged into a Pi-zero.

Do I really need to buy a second hotspot on a second frequency to use both radios? Or is there some menu option to fix that?

de KC1LPT
AF6VN

Re: DMR and Dstar not coexisting

Post by AF6VN »

Is the D-STAR radio configured for digital, or analog FM. If you are hearing noise, it sounds very much like you have it passing analog FM. DMR (on my system) results in squelch opening (Rx LED active), but no data is decoded by the D-STAR radio.

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber
KC1LPT

Post by KC1LPT »

When I look at the display when it makes the noise, it alternates from FM and DV. I upgraded the pi-star to 4.1.2 from 3 something and that didn't make any difference. If I disable Dstar on the pi-star and run DMR by itself, it does the same thing, so that indicates to me that the DMR radio is overloading the Dstar's front end. I tried setting the squelch all the way up but no difference on the noise.
G8SEZ

Post by G8SEZ »

From the DR Mode part of the manual:

"When an FM Signal is received while in the DV mode, the “DV” and “FM” icons alternately blink. If the DV Auto Detect function is turned ON, the transceiver automatically selects the FM mode to temporarily monitor the signal. (Default: OFF)"

DV Auto Detect is the setting that controls this, you want it OFF.
--

Brian G8SEZ
KC1LPT

Post by KC1LPT »

Thank you so much, that fixed it! So many menu's, so little time!