Trouble connecting to new Jet Pack (Skyroam Solis X)

Help setting up WiFi
N1JWW

Trouble connecting to new Jet Pack (Skyroam Solis X)

Post by N1JWW »

I used the Wifi Builder to setup a new HOT Spot to allow the Jumbo Spot to connect to, but is simply won't connect. Will connect to my Iphone but till not connect to Solis X.

Anyone else experience this.....?

Jeff W Waldrop
N1JWW
N1JWW

Re: Trouble connecting to new Jet Pack (Skyroam Solis X)

Post by N1JWW »

KE7FNS wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:39 am
N1JWW wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:15 am I used the Wifi Builder to setup a new HOT Spot to allow the Jumbo Spot to connect to, but is simply won't connect. Will connect to my Iphone but till not connect to Solis X.
Is the SSID hidden on the Skyroam hotspot?

If not its probably a captive portal and the site information specific for it would need to be added to pi-star.
No, the SSID and Password are on the back side. My phone sees the network. I am quite confident I am inputting the correct SSID and key into the WiFi Builder. I left Verizon to go to AT&T and my Verizon Jetpack is about to go offline. I bought the SkyRoam Solis X because it is half the cost of the Verizon JetPack option. My ittent was to use the SkyRoam with the Pi-Star so I would not eat up the data on my phone plan.....

To make matters worse, we are 5 weeks out of Hurricane Laura in SWLA and we still have our internet (wired) at home back online yet. So everything from insurance claims & paying bills are using Data on these devices.

Jeff / N1JWW
G8SEZ

Post by G8SEZ »

Just been looking at the Solis X on Amazon, is there a way of connecting to it to configure the settings?

Just wondering if it is a 2.4GHz vs 5GHz WiFi issue, or possibly country settings in the PiStar WiFi configuration.
--

Brian G8SEZ
G8SEZ

Post by G8SEZ »

You may be right. But sometimes devices are configured strangely.

My second suggestion was preempted by you suggesting the scan_ssid approach before I did, I was trying for the lowest hanging fruit first.
--

Brian G8SEZ
N1JWW

Post by N1JWW »

KE7FNS wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:34 pm
N1JWW wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:04 pm No, the SSID and Password are on the back side. My phone sees the network. I am quite confident I am inputting the correct SSID and key into the WiFi Builder.
From your response I don't think you fully understood my question. It being printed on the label and your phone connecting to it is irrelevant.

A hidden SSID is one that its name is not broadcast over wifi. When you take a device and disconnect it from all wifi networks and then scan for nearby networks do you see the SSID of the Skyroam hotspot in the listing?

If not you need to configure wpa_supplicant to allow it to connect to hidden SSID's by adding:

Code: Select all

scan_ssid=1
inside the network { } section of the related hidden network.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 47#p239347

If you take a laptop and connect to the Skyroam hotspot does it require installing some extra software or clicking on a browser button to begin working? If that is the case then that is a captive portal and pi-star is not setup to handle that specific device.
KE7FNS,

Sorry, but I am just seeing your post from Sept 30th. Just ran from second hurricane in 6 weeks (LIVE IN SOUTH LOUISIANA). Nonetheless, I did not know about the possibility of the hidden SSID. I will look into that.

Secondly, I DO NOT have to open a browser (like at a hotel's free wifi) or install special software to connect to Skyroam. My Mac Book connects to it first as I have set the priority and order of wifi networks in it.

Jeff W Waldrop / N1JWW
N1JWW

Post by N1JWW »

Thank you, Jason for the responses. The Skyroam isn't the only solution I was seeking, but the preferred one.

Jeff W Waldrop
N1JWW