Radio Programming

Help with DMR issues
kc7ve

Radio Programming

Post by kc7ve »

RE: TYT MD UV380 (but might apply to other)

I'm trying to understand Channel List A vs. B, from a DNR perspective. I mean Slot 1 and Slot 2 have a DMR perspective. I
understand that usage. But CHA lists and CHBB lists, Really don't seem to have a DMR perspective.

They might have a radio perspective. On a dual band, there are 2 VFO and there are generally 2 lines for displaying 2 "somethings".

On my radio the top line came as UHF and bottom as VHF. But it could have just as well been both VHF. In my case they are both set to UHF channels. But if I was using both VHF and UHF then there would be a need for both lists.

So I'm left with the belief they are just organizational way of defining two different lists of channels, if one is not using both bands. One for the top line and one for the bottom line. They can be different or the same and really have nothing directly related to DMR, but do have a VFO reason.

Am correct? I mean I guess you could organize all slot one on A and all slot on B. But that would purely be your choice. For me I have a mixture on both. I'm using top position for Favorites, and bottom line for all channels.

Just trying to understand what the real purpose is for two Channel lists. Im leaning toward it's because of two VFO.
Amateur Radio 40+ years
USMC 1963-1967
KN2TOD

Re: Radio Programming

Post by KN2TOD »

You are correct. The two lists are not related to DMR time slots - they are just convenient ways to organize your typical (primary) usage of your particular radio. Many folks program all their digital channels in one VFO and all their analog contacts for the other, or all their BM contacts in one and all their DMR+ in the other, but one can mix and match as one sees fit. Or you could just program one VFO for one hotspot and use the other VFO for a different hotspot. The combinations are only limited by your imagination - and the way you organize your RF activities, by channel and zone.

A key feature here is that one can set up a default, or initial contact entry, for each VFO, so when you first power-up, your HT is set and ready to go on both sides for your primary activity with your radio (think of field work here: supporting some club or civic activity requiring intercommunication of various sorts - or maybe just your two favorite TG's).