Pi-Star linking to wrong ysfreflector

General support for the Pi-Star System
g6nhu

Pi-Star linking to wrong ysfreflector

Post by g6nhu »

There's something odd going on which I'm struggling to understand and I'm hoping someone here can help please.

I run two YSFReflectors, they were both built within a few days of each other and both have been working perfectly for many months.

I connect to them both via MMDVM hotspots using Pi-Star.

Yesterday, I noticed that one of them wasn't showing connected on the dashboard, I tried to re-link to it from the Admin screen but it just failed, no error that I could see, it just didn't connect so I fired up the radio (Yaesu FTM-100) and sent a connect command.

Instead of linking to YSF01918, the radio showed it was connected to FCS53008. Very strange.

I tried linking Pi-Star to my other YSFReflector (26368) and that worked perfectly. I rebooted the hotspot and it came back, linked to 01918 correctly. I could transmit through it, no problem.

However, as soon as I link away from 01918 and try and link back, it connects to FCS53008 instead of YSF01918.

At the time, Pi-Star was 4.1.2 so I updated and upgraded it to 4.1.3 but that made no difference.

I rebooted the reflector just in case it was playing silly whatsits. That didn't make any difference.

I then grabbed a new SD card, wrote a brand spanking new Pi-Star image and tested that. Exactly the same thing happened.

I have the correct host configured in the YSF Startup Host box in configuration under Yaesu System Fusion Configuration.

I checked with some friends and they're seeing exactly the same symptoms. If they link away from 01918 and link back, they get connected to FCS53008.

Can anyone make any suggestions as to what could be going on here please?

Thanks.
W3PMK

Re: Pi-Star linking to wrong ysfreflector

Post by W3PMK »

I am also experiencing some unexpected results trying to link to my YSF reflector using the DMR2YSF connection. I expect it to be operator error on my part, but have not figured out the issue yet.

Some talk group connections I send to connect to YSF are connecting me to FCS rooms. As an example, my YSF reflector had a 5 digit ID of 00094. When I key in the three “0”s and two other digits in my radio, it defaults to only the two digits “94”. Kerchunking the radio connected my to FCS 184. I thought this was due to my reflector starting with 3 zeros, but I can’t understand why it connected my to FCS server 1, room 84 when I was keying in 94 ???

I changed my reflector number to a 5 digit number 10094, but the DMR2YSF connection does not connect to my reflector when I attempt to kerchunk the connection. It will connect to a reflector such as 21080 via the PTT kerchunk.

Also, I can only pass audio from my DMR radio to my YSF reflector if I use a private call to 0 (zero) on my DMR radio. I have searched a good bit to figure out what I am missing, but your post indicates you are having some similar issues, so I hope someone is able to steer me in the right direction.
g6nhu

Post by g6nhu »

Has yours ever worked? Mine has been working perfectly for well over six months but it just suddenly started failing a few days ago.
W3PMK

Post by W3PMK »

It did work in the past. When the DMR2YSF feature was introduced, I did use it. However, I have not used Pi-Star for sometime, and only now noticed the issues I outlined in my previous post.

I must use the 100xxx convention to navigate on FCS from DMR, and I must use the module/room number as a talk group in order for the DMR audio to pass...ex.100290 to navigate and talk into FCS290 from DMR via DMR2YSF. Perhaps this is a newer requirement that has been implemented since I used the feature, but the same technique does not work for YSF.

I can use 21080 to navigate to YSF reflector 21080 America Link, but cannot use 10094 to navigate to my own reflector, nor can I use 10094 as a talk group to pass audio from DMR. I must use a private call to 0 (zero) in order to pass the DMR audio to the YSF reflector.

Perhaps things have changed since I used it, and I am in error, or perhaps there is some issue on the server. I am trying to figure it out.
KE7DUX

Post by KE7DUX »

Similar, possibly same issue for me. Here is my post about the issue from last week: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3194
Main difference is that in my case we are YSF-YSF, not DMR2YSF etc.

Summary of what I have found from my previous post:

I am having this issue as is someone else I know. When we (I on an FT3D he on an FT70DR) enter 01037 into the ID field or DTMF, our radios instead connect to FCS23227 (rather than YSF01037). Same for if I do a search for the name on my FT3DR (US-HRCC-LINK) and connect. It instead connects to FCS23227.

I have tried this on 3 different hotspots that I have here. If I manually select the reflector using the dashboard and reboot it connects to the correct reflector.

Connecting to YSF01035 instead connects to FCS23225
Connecting to YSF01036 instead connects to FCS23226
Connecting to YSF01037 instead connects to FCS23227
Connecting to YSF01038 instead connects to FCS23228
g6nhu

Post by g6nhu »

KE7DUX wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:15 am Similar, possibly same issue for me. Here is my post about the issue from last week: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3194
Main difference is that in my case we are YSF-YSF, not DMR2YSF etc.
Ahh, I did a search but I missed this one.

In my case, it's also YSF-YSF and I notice a similarly in that the reflector number I'm trying to connect to also starts with 0. That could be related or it could be a red herring.
KE7DUX wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:15 am If I manually select the reflector using the dashboard and reboot it connects to the correct reflector.
Rebooting is the only way I can get mine back to the correct reflector.

Did you notice when this started happening? For me, it was last Thursday.

On the plus side, it means it's almost certainly not a reflector fault, it looks like something in the back end.
KE7DUX

Post by KE7DUX »

g6nhu wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:43 am Did you notice when this started happening? For me, it was last Thursday.
I myself noticed it just before making the post. However, I know others trying to join the reflector I mentioned had complained of the issue as early as October 2nd, 2020.

I should mention, that I almost never select or change my reflector from the radio, so, It could have been not working for me for a long time and I would not have noticed.
g6nhu

Post by g6nhu »

Another update to this - I had a backup of the SD card made in September and that's just been reinstalled in the reflector.

It's made no difference so this appears to be a problem with the back end somewhere. It's not Pi-Star related.
g6nhu

Post by g6nhu »

W3PMK wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:31 pm I changed my reflector number
How do you change the reflector number please?
g6nhu

Post by g6nhu »

Replying to myself.

I've renamed the reflector by editing the 'name' field in /etc/YSFReflector.ini and I waited until the system realised it had changed. This has resolved the problem as it appears to be limited to reflectors that have leading zeros in the IDs.

We have a new number and it's working properly.