Updates changelog location?

General support for the Pi-Star System
N5WE

Updates changelog location?

Post by N5WE »

Restarted my hotspot (4.1.3) and immediately performed a manual update. Noticed a few things in the update page showed with the multiple "plus" signs indicating updates to those modules. After logging back in, I see that the main dashboard now has a new feature (GPS) next to each callsign. Nice!

What I'd like to know is, where would I find the changelog for each of the things updated in this manual update? I'm thinking that changes to Pi-Star are in the Announcements forum (example, 4.1.2 to 4.1.3!!), but perhaps the changes to individual modules (noticed that this one seemed to deal with D-Star) are located in their respective Githubs?

Just wanted to make sure that if something were updated, I didn't miss a feature. Having Pi-star perform the updates is very convenient, just tracking down the module changes one by one was puzzling.

Thanks
MW0MWZ
Site Admin

Re: Updates changelog location?

Post by MW0MWZ »

Well mostly its in my head, because most of the time what I am doing is bug squashing... and in the case of the change between QRZ and RadioID for lookups, flipping stuff back and forth in relation to feedback and flames :)

So what has changed... well now, lets see..

Code: Select all

New build of DStarRepeater
New build of ircDDBGateway
Not exciting, just bug squashes of a few things - logging was excessive on DStarRepeater, new build should nicely take care of that.
ircDDBGateway would call a now defunct domain on startup, and then keep trying it, that has been fixed up-stream for a while and I just didn't notice.

Dashboard bug squashing
There are a bunch of minor fixes, specifically I think I have finally squashed the bug that would eat the BM custom password from time to time.
I just *just* pushed a change that checks the TX/RX frequency to make sure that they are viable and within the ITU ranges - this does mean that I have to use a harmonised range of the maximum band edges - this is just a guide and is not country specific.
Also fixed (again) some bugs with how the main password is interpreted to make more of the full symbol set available (for complex passwords).

AutoAP PSK
You can now set the Pre-Shared key for the Auto AP, it was forced to raspberry in the past, we're moving to a future where the out of the box first setup with have no PSK (open network) and you can then set one from the dashboard when you are ready.

QRZ/RadioID
This is a sore subject right now, put it in, take it out, change it all, put it back - argh, still I think we have the final solution (until the next complaints roll in), you can choose from the CSS page to use QRZ or RadioID, it only uses new tabs (as before) the popup code that was in there has already been removed - this has not been a fun addition.

GPS/d-PRS
Adds a new (GPS) link or (dPRS) link on the D-Star legacy dash, this links to ARPS, well hell someone said it would be nice while telling me off about the RadioID change, and I thought why not...

Warning on shutdown/restart
In the past, clicking shutdown or restart would just do it, now it has a safety catch, asks you if you mean it first, it will still shoot your feet off if you want it to, but thats now two clicks away and not one :)

reboot timer
The reboot timer was too short, extended to 50 secs.

Add CSS to the backup
Yep I did, its finally in there.

Add an option to have XLX enabled on DMRGateway but with no module declared
Yeah not sure why you would want to, but who am I to argue, so its been added.

Update server
The update servers have seen a bunch of work, adding in the ever growing list of HBLink based DMR servers is what you see, but there is much going on at the back end too, these servers serve out over 7TB of update traffic per month (yes thats TB and not GB) serving over 14 million requests per month, (and I do this for free, with 0 advertising to support the costs, you lucky people!!) this does NOT include the changes that we push via GitHub. It is such a large volume of data that I've been working on ways to keep it under control - the pandemic has caused more of you all to keep more of your hostspots on more of the time, so I've seen significant growth over the last 14 months or so - its great to see such wide addoption.

No doubt there is more too, but for the most part its small, bug squash type changes.
Andy

73 de MW0MWZ
http://pistar.uk
AK7AN

Post by AK7AN »

WOW... Andy you do a great service for the community. Much appreciated from my perspective. One does not realize the work or the expense involved when we fire up our hotspots and radios. The radio manufacturer's owe you a debt of gratitude also. A lot of digital radio equipment sales because now we can just sit in our easy chairs with an HT and have access to this vast network of digital radio.
Thanks again
Ed
AK7AN
dh3ybe

Post by dh3ybe »

Thanks a lot Andy

73 55
Kai
DH3YBE
MW0MWZ
Site Admin

Post by MW0MWZ »

Please remember that while I do the Pi-Star end - behind me is a much larger list of people who do the heavy lifting.
Jonathan G4KLX for his extensive software stack and MMDVM firmware, Andy CA6JAU for his MMDVM_HS firmware and cross-mode tools, plus the long list of people that run the networks (for free) that we connect to and use - in all cases this is a team effort :)
Andy

73 de MW0MWZ
N5WE

Post by N5WE »

Andy, thanks for the info!! I certainly didn't intend to take time away to type all of that, I was just curious if you had kept a running changelog. That's time consuming enough to not take away writing up a detailed changelog like that.

Thanks again for all the work, my main interest was just to make sure I didn't miss out on any new features (after I noticed GPS in the main log). Neat feature!

Keep up the excellent work!

Charlie
N5WE
N5WE

Post by N5WE »

Holy crap! I'm just seeing the commotion over the addition of QRZ/RadioID in Reddit /DMR (which I tend to only read on occasion), and how the request for inclusion of info in the changelog.. and here I am posting a message wondering about a changelog. The poster on Reddit bellyaching about the QRZ/RadioID is NOT ME. Just wanted to make that clear for Andy! Totally coincidental!

Charles
N5WE
MW0MWZ
Site Admin

Post by MW0MWZ »

N5WE wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:18 am The poster on Reddit bellyaching about the QRZ/RadioID is NOT ME. Just wanted to make that clear for Andy! Totally coincidental!

Charles
N5WE
Don't worrey - I'm pretty thick skinned :)
Andy

73 de MW0MWZ