few questions on internet speed/local rf not being seen

Help setting up WiFi
W1WKW

few questions on internet speed/local rf not being seen

Post by W1WKW »

i own a zumspot 3.5 MMDVM hotspot running pistar, it works flawlessly. however....

My friend recently bought his own, same thing yet he is having issues.

everyone sounds absolutely terrible on his, so much so you dont really hear them at all, just blips and blurts of human speech, not enough at any one time to even be recognizable. my question on this issue, what is the recommended internet speed to be used ?

another issue he has is when he keys his mic, his rf is not seen at all in local RF activity, ever. Is this because of his internet speed ?

he did a speed test and observed speeds round about 180 download and 15 upload.
Last edited by W1WKW on Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
MW0MWZ
Site Admin

Re: few questions on internet speed/local rf

Post by MW0MWZ »

W1WKW wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:28 am i own a zumspot 3.5 MMDVM hotspot running pistar, it works flawlessly. however....
Zum hardware is a good choice..
W1WKW wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:28 am My friend recently bought his own, same thing yet he is having issues.

everyone sounds absolutely terrible on his, so much so you dont really hear them at all, just blips and blurts of human speech, not enough at any one time to even be recognizable. my question on this issue, what is the recommended internet speed to be used ?
Digital voice is much the same as other forms of VOIP, its quite a small amount of bandwidth for a voice call (so kilobits/sec rather than megabits/sec).
W1WKW wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:28 am another issue he has is when he keys his mic, his rf is not seen at all in local RF activity, ever. Is this because of his internet speed ?
No, this is much more likely that he needs to tune the RXOffset (search the forum for information on that).
I would ask what board he used, is his also a Zum board or is it one of the many clones?
W1WKW wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:28 am he did a speed test and observed speeds round about 180 download and 15 upload.
Andy

73 de MW0MWZ
http://pistar.uk
AF6VN

Post by AF6VN »

W1WKW wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:28 am he did a speed test and observed speeds round about 180 download and 15 upload.
Pardon, but those numbers are meaningless without units... 180kbps/15kbps? 180Mbps/15Mbps? Or are they in bytes (B) and not bits (b).

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber
W1WKW

Post by W1WKW »

AF6VN wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:22 pm
Pardon, but those numbers are meaningless without units... 180kbps/15kbps? 180Mbps/15Mbps? Or are they in bytes (B) and not bits (b).
oh i'm sorry i thought all speed tests were the same, i am speaking of mbps
W1WKW

Post by W1WKW »

MW0MWZ wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:19 pm
W1WKW wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:28 am i own a zumspot 3.5 MMDVM hotspot running pistar, it works flawlessly. however....
Zum hardware is a good choice..
W1WKW wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:28 am My friend recently bought his own, same thing yet he is having issues.

Digital voice is much the same as other forms of VOIP, its quite a small amount of bandwidth for a voice call (so kilobits/sec rather than megabits/sec).
W1WKW wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:28 am another issue he has is when he keys his mic, his rf is not seen at all in local RF activity, ever. Is this because of his internet speed ?
No, this is much more likely that he needs to tune the RXOffset (search the forum for information on that).
I would ask what board he used, is his also a Zum board or is it one of the many clones?
he bought the same unit as mine the zumspot 3.5 nexion from HRO all ready built

he can hear people now, he is still reporting no one can hear him, i am about to take a 30 mile drive over to see if i can help him out, thanks all for any more info it is appreciated.

his rig is a new yaesu 400
W1WKW

Post by W1WKW »

Just left my pals house, i have no idea why it does not transmit out, receive is great now but it never transmits, never shows his call on his dashboard under local rf. his config is the exact same as mine, i dont understand what his issue is.
P.S. I even brought my ft70 to his home thinking perhaps it had something to do with a setting on his new ft400 but my ft70 would not transmit through his zumspot either, just receives.
Last edited by W1WKW on Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
KG6RUT

Post by KG6RUT »

if you brought your radio and hotspot you couldve narrowed it down...drive back :)
W1WKW

Post by W1WKW »

lol, i thought of that, i did bring my ft70, just added that info in above :) :lol:

we did see there was an update released and he is running 4.1.4

i will be back there tomorrow, hoping to be armed with some suggestions, i may even go so far as to bring his zumspot to my house and see if it works here..lol

update: i have read other posts on this forum about non transmiting issues, one poster said this
the callsign set in the radio must match the way the call sign is set in pistar

is this correct ? I will tell him to check this.

another poster stated :
the radio must be set to wide in order to transmit
is this a fact ?

2 more things to try i guess.
KG6RUT

Post by KG6RUT »

only have an anytone....but this would be the test method I would use, assuming you are setup exactly the same as you mentioned....
using his hotspot and your radio (I believe you need to set that on his pistar first) see if you work. If you work then something with his radio/codeplug/defect....if you dont work, use your hotspot, first check you still work and then change the setting to allow other radios and test his radio through you hotspot. I think those tests should validate where the goof up is......lastly, yeah take his hotspot home and retest :) and GL!!!
KG6RUT

Post by KG6RUT »

and Youre a Good Friend! :)