Hotspot won't re-connect

Help setting up WiFi
N1UB

Hotspot won't re-connect

Post by N1UB »

I'm using my smartphone for wifi to connect to my hotspot. The problem I'm having is if I get into a bad cellphone coverage area and lose internet, the hotspot won't reconnect to the phone once I'm back into a good coverage area, a re-boot to Pi-star will reconnect everything. The other problem is I don't always know this has happened, other than the hotspot being abnormally quiet. I have tried disabling Auto-AP and that didn't make a difference. All updates are current, running V 4.1.4. Is there other settings I might be missing that would cause this?
AF6VN

Re: Hotspot won't re-connect

Post by AF6VN »

Pi-Star only does a one-time connect ON BOOT... Though I'd think the WiFi connection to the phone would stay active even if the phone loses outgoing cellular coverage. However, losing network (phone to network, not hotspot to phone) could result in a loss of IP # and connections.

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber
MW0MWZ
Site Admin

Post by MW0MWZ »

AF6VN wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:33 am Pi-Star only does a one-time connect ON BOOT... Though I'd think the WiFi connection to the phone would stay active even if the phone loses outgoing cellular coverage. However, losing network (phone to network, not hotspot to phone) could result in a loss of IP # and connections.
It should re-connect, so maybe try turning the hotspot on your phone off and back on, see if that helps sort it out next time...
Andy

73 de MW0MWZ
http://pistar.uk
N1UB

Post by N1UB »

The only way I can get it to reconnect is to reboot the MMDVM. Like I mentioned earlier when using mobile, you don't always know you've lost your internet connection from the phone, so kind of discouraging.
AF6VN

Post by AF6VN »

N1UB wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:32 pm The only way I can get it to reconnect is to reboot the MMDVM. Like I mentioned earlier when using mobile, you don't always know you've lost your internet connection from the phone, so kind of discouraging.
That's interesting in that, to my knowledge, the MMDVM board itself has no internet connection -- it just has the Amateur band RF stuff which gets transferred to the R-Pi for subsequent routing.

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber
KN2TOD

Post by KN2TOD »

KE7FNS wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:07 pm I agree with you though, the OS doesn't reconnect to wifi if it drops out and maybe even hopping from one cell tower to another cell tower could cause connection problems with the server for whatever mode he is trying to use.
I'm wondering here if the Watchdog task could be modified to monitor the Inet connection and (attempt to) take corrective action(s) for most, if not all such situations. Or perhaps an independently scheduled (periodic) task running under Crontab.