Re: DMR Host Files - Changes - Hotspot security password

Help with DMR issues
g0hww

Post by g0hww »

Regarding the announcement about DMR Host File changes, it might be worth noting on the announcement topic that you may need to re-enter your Brandmeister Hotspot Security password when you reselect the correct host.
If the announcement is updated to reflect this, then this topic can be deleted.
MW0MWZ
Site Admin

Post by MW0MWZ »

Updated, headed to the config page, password still there, re-selected BK United Kingdom 2341 and it did everything required, didn't need to enter the password...
Andy

73 de MW0MWZ
http://pistar.uk
g0hww

Post by g0hww »

Curious. After I reselected the BM_United_Kingdom_2341 as the DMR Master, the Hotspot Security field was blank (no asterisks). Before I reselected the UK master, I think it listed DMRGateway as the master, but without the extended set of configuration fields.
MW0MWZ
Site Admin

Post by MW0MWZ »

What version is the dashboard?
Is your browser trying to he helpful and cache form data? (this can be problematic :))
Andy

73 de MW0MWZ
KE0FHS

Post by KE0FHS »

I experienced the same thing as G0HWW. My DMR Master is normally set to BM_United_States_3103. After update, DMR Master was set to DMRGateway. However, the normal network-specific options (including the BM Hotspot Security field) for that master were not displayed.
dmrconfig.jpg
dmrconfig.jpg (25.56 KiB) Viewed 4316 times
When I selected my normal DMR Master again and applied changes, the BM Hotspot Security field was blank. (I suppose it's possible that the password was still saved, but the field was not properly displaying the asterisks as it normally does to indicate that a password has been saved.)
dmrconfig2.jpg
dmrconfig2.jpg (34.21 KiB) Viewed 4316 times
After I re-entered the password and applied changes again, the BM Hotspot Security field showed asterisks as it normally does.

Have confirmed this behavior on a second hotspot.

Edit: FYI, Pi-Star was updated and upgraded to: Pi-Star:4.1.4 / Dashboard: 20210305.
Edit 2: Tested and verified that the password was not saved until I re-entered it, applied changes, and the asterisks were displayed again.
Edit 3: On second hotspot, after updating to the just released 20210312, I see the yellow highlighted DMR Net (Network Status) before I re-enter the BM Hotspot Security password and apply changes:
dmrconfig3.jpg
dmrconfig3.jpg (9.56 KiB) Viewed 4309 times
73, Toshen, KE0FHS
Playing with Pi-Star (unofficial notes about setting up and using Pi-Star):
https://amateurradionotes.com/pi-star.htm
G8SEZ

Post by G8SEZ »

It certainly has upset things a little during the changeover process. I had to reenter hotspot password again and also had to change from DMRGateway as the host.

I suspect there will be a lot of people asking for help sometime tomorrow.
--

Brian G8SEZ
G8SEZ

Post by G8SEZ »

KE7FNS wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:23 pm
G8SEZ wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:19 pm I suspect there will be a lot of people asking for help sometime tomorrow.
I didn't go into the dashboard and apply changes and everything appears to still be working so I guess it depends on what the user does.
Good point, I did check the configuration page then applied changes and this clearly means you need to reenter hotspot or default password after resetting the host for BM at least.

I imagine we'll see what happens over the weekend.
--

Brian G8SEZ
MW0MWZ
Site Admin

Post by MW0MWZ »

KE0FHS wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:35 pm I experienced the same thing as G0HWW. My DMR Master is normally set to BM_United_States_3103. After update, DMR Master was set to DMRGateway. However, the normal network-specific options (including the BM Hotspot Security field) for that master were not displayed.
dmrconfig.jpg
When I selected my normal DMR Master again and applied changes, the BM Hotspot Security field was blank. (I suppose it's possible that the password was still saved, but the field was not properly displaying the asterisks as it normally does to indicate that a password has been saved.)
dmrconfig2.jpg
After I re-entered the password and applied changes again, the BM Hotspot Security field showed asterisks as it normally does.

Have confirmed this behavior on a second hotspot.

Edit: FYI, Pi-Star was updated and upgraded to: Pi-Star:4.1.4 / Dashboard: 20210305.
Edit 2: Tested and verified that the password was not saved until I re-entered it, applied changes, and the asterisks were displayed again.
Edit 3: On second hotspot, after updating to the just released 20210312, I see the yellow highlighted DMR Net (Network Status) before I re-enter the BM Hotspot Security password and apply changes:
dmrconfig3.jpg
In a word - rats...

OK will see if I can do something about that....
Andy

73 de MW0MWZ
G8SEZ

Post by G8SEZ »

I imagine that the number of users who edit the mmdvmhost configuration manually like that will be small. I decided I would use the GUI tools and see what happened. I was easily fixed, but if it happens in the dead of night and breaks then clearly some people will not know how to fix it and will come and ask for help.
--

Brian G8SEZ
KE0FHS

Post by KE0FHS »

KE7FNS wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:00 pm ... if the user doesn't go into the dashboard and change that DMR master setting or click apply changes everything still works. It just displays the IP address instead of the hostname on the bottom of the dashboard.
I see the IP address instead of the hostname, too. However, without touching anything on the Configuration page after updating (in other words, even if I don't change the DMR Master and I don't Apply Changes), the Active BrandMeister Connections and BrandMeister Manager modules disappear from the Admin page.

I have to re-select my DMR Master to get them back.

Edit: Since the latest dashboard update a few minutes ago, after I re-select my DMR Master, the BM Hotspot Security password appears to be automatically re-entered (I see the asterisks); however, the DMR Net status remains yellow on the Admin page until I Apply Changes on the Configuration page once more (I didn't have to re-enter the password, just Apply Changes).
73, Toshen, KE0FHS
Playing with Pi-Star (unofficial notes about setting up and using Pi-Star):
https://amateurradionotes.com/pi-star.htm