Pi-Star On MESH Network

All IP networking related issues
K5SGS

Pi-Star On MESH Network

Post by K5SGS »

Has anyone set-up multiple hotspots running Pi-Star on an AREDN network?
Would like to talk DMR and/or YSF across network. Can Pi-Star be utilized in this way?

Stan
K5SGS
M0GLJ

Re: Pi-Star On MESH Network

Post by M0GLJ »

I'm interested in doing this too
AE2T

Post by AE2T »

I was thinking about this the other day. I'm surprised we haven't heard a lot about doing it. It seems like a natural combination.

Imagine a public service event where hams provide communications. A marathon or other footrace, a bicycle tour, or any number of types of events.

A series of MESH nodes could be set up to cover the area involved with wifi connections at various point where it would be available. Then voice communications could be piggybacked on it through pi-star. It could be every node, or key locations. Overlapping coverage could be dealt with by alternating between two frequencies or the same frequency and different color code.

Coverage of data and voice would be accomplished simultaneously. In an actual emergency, this would be invaluable and could be tailored to whatever the needs are.

Imagine an emergency where your available local repeater was D-Star, but a bunch of volunteers have arrived equipped with DMR equipmenet. A pi-star node would connect them if it had the internet connection it needed. MESH might be able to provide that.

I'm not smart enough with Linux/Raspberry Pi programming to do this, just smart enough to know it's likely possible.
n9mxq

Post by n9mxq »

I wouldn't see why not. Probably have to use an AP hooked to an AREDN (HSMM-MESH) network node, and one in the mesh should share the internet. Not sure about running a private server with no internet tho
Gene in Belvidere IL
Please don't email me with questions.
That's what these forums are for.
There's much more brainpower collected here
than I have alone.
KC9EZP

Post by KC9EZP »

This might help with the idea.

https://youtu.be/CC772imWc3k

Fred
KC9EZP