Cannot find pistar.local

Help setting up WiFi
KD2KBU

Cannot find pistar.local

Post by KD2KBU »

Hello All-

I have set my ZUMspot up and it works well at home. When I try and set it up at a different location, I am successful utilizing the AutoAP function and can connect the ZUMspot to the WiFi. I can utilize the ZUMspot to talk. The problem I am having is that once the ZUMspot is connected, I cannot bring up the Pi-Star Dashboard (or any of the other pi-star pages -Expert, Configuration, etc) using the address http://pistar.local/

I do not have access to the router settings to lookup the 192.168.1.**** address as I do not own those WiFi systems.

I have tried to use 192.168.50.1 but cannot connect to that address.
I have tried using nmap to ping the IP address, but, again, have been unsuccessful.

Can anyone suggest a way to bring up the pistar dashboard?

Thank you in advance.

John
KD2KBU
KE0FHS

Re: Cannot find pistar.local

Post by KE0FHS »

Checking one very basic thing: the actual address should be http://pi-star.local/ (with a hyphen).
Last edited by KE0FHS on Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
73, Toshen, KE0FHS
Playing with Pi-Star (unofficial notes about setting up and using Pi-Star):
https://amateurradionotes.com/pi-star.htm
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

Hotel, restaurant, fast food WiFi outlets don't permit devices to 'see' one another over their connected networks.. image if I could surf ur pc files, using my laptop whilst we're connected to their same network., it's a security implementation.
Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
K2el

Post by K2el »

You may be able to see the ip address if you have an OLED screen. When I key the radio it shows the ip address of the hotspot.

From a browser page you can put in the address and it will bring you to the hotspot.
Let me know if this works for you at hotel or even your cell hotspot.

Elmar K2EL
kg5eiu

Post by kg5eiu »

If you are running a Mac and your WiFi network supports client to client connections you can run bonjour browser
and get a list of devices running pi-star - they show up as Workgroup Manager (_workstation._tcp.):

Here you see I have several on my network and if you expand them you can see their IP addresses.

And if you are running an iPhone - then go download the app - Discovery - DNS-SD Browser you can find
them on your iPhone or iPad.

[youtube]https://youtu.be/XttMYbf_65g[/youtube]
73! de David KG5EIU
G0AFN

Post by G0AFN »

Hi, I have just entered into the world of a rasberrypi. This is my first post so I hope I get it correct in what I am about to say. I have a rasberry[i v4 I have downloaded the dashboard software and have two files showing on the rasberrypi desktop of boot and pi-star.I now try to go to the next step on the rasberrypi of accessing local admin. But no luck, I have read and tried the given tips and forums on connecting to the next step but sadly no joy. Am I doing something wrong already?
Peter G0AFN
AF6VN

Post by AF6VN »

G0AFN wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:19 am Hi, I have just entered into the world of a rasberrypi. This is my first post so I hope I get it correct in what I am about to say. I have a rasberry[i v4 I have downloaded the dashboard software and have two files showing on the rasberrypi desktop of boot and pi-star.I now try to go to the next step on the rasberrypi of accessing local admin. But no luck, I have read and tried the given tips and forums on connecting to the next step but sadly no joy. Am I doing something wrong already?
Peter G0AFN
First, rather than resurrecting a three-year old thread, you might have been better off to start a new thread.

Secondly, exactly what did you download? Pi-Star software doesn't run an X-window (GUI) environment, so there won't be a "raspberrypi desktop". Instead, a fresh install (without network configuration et al) will create its own WiFi access point (though if you have a CAT-5 wired cable you wouldn't need the AP). That access point uses a hostname similar to pi-star-setup (I don't recall the exact name, as I've always configured using a wired network).

You would use your computer to 1) disconnect from any WiFi router you have [if using a router], 2) let the computer search for available WiFi access points, and connect to the one that identifies as a Pi-Star node. Once connected, you would use the computer browser to connect to the hostname of the access point to get to the dashboard screens, where you would then configure the parameters for your LAN WiFi router. Then reboot the R-Pi. It should come up and connect to the WiFi Router (reconnect your computer to the router too, as the Pi-Star AP will not be present).

Log into your ROUTER admin pages and look for the page that lists WiFi clients. You should see the Pi-Star node as one:

Code: Select all

IPv4 Address / Name				MAC Address		Status 	Allocation 	Action
192.168.1.68 / EPSONF4EF32			00:26:ab:f4:ef:32 	on 	DHCP 		Allocation 	
192.168.1.65 / DIRECTV-HR54-C94828D7 		18:16:c9:48:28:d9 	on 	DHCP 		Allocation 	
192.168.1.70 / Galaxy-S9 			8c:45:00:6d:1a:4c 	on 	DHCP 		Allocation 	

192.168.1.79 / pi-star-3b 			b8:27:eb:4b:0b:d5 	on 	DHCP 		Allocation 	<=====

192.168.1.252 / microdiversity 			b8:27:eb:ce:b1:eb 	on 	DHCP 		Allocation 	
192.168.1.66 / ElusiveUnicorn 			b8:ca:3a:79:0c:36 	on 	DHCP 		Allocation 	
192.168.1.84 / HP7C548D 			c4:65:16:7c:54:8d 	on 	DHCP 		Allocation
(From my ATT Uverse router -- note: I changed the hostname to include the Pi-Star model)

You should be able to connect, via a browser, using the hostname shown (possibly needing the xxx.local suffix, I don't). If not, try using the IP address in the browser.

Once so connected, you can configure the modes, callsign, frequency, etc.

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber