high BER in ZUMspot 3.5

Help and support for ZUMSpot Hardware
KV0J

high BER in ZUMspot 3.5

Post by KV0J »

Using my Yaesu FT5DR and ZUMspot 3.5, in the Pi-Star Admin screen the Bit Error Rate is always 0.0% in the Gateway Activity for everybody else (over the network), but I always have at least 0.4%, and up to 3% BER for my transmissions. When it hits 3% the screen blinks and highlights the BER in orange as a warning. I'm using the Yaesu in the same room as the ZUMspot, and the RSSI is -47dBm, so I would expect 0% BER.

Does anybody else see BER readings above 0.0% on their ZUMspot for their own RF transmissions?
KV0J

Re: high BER in ZUMspot 3.5

Post by KV0J »

Thanks for letting me know the BER will not be 0% all the time. I have been using mmdvmcal to watch the RSSI and BER and saw the freq adjustments, but I have been hesitant to change it. Sometimes (not often) there will be 4 or 5 consecutive 0% readings, but then it goes up. It definitely gets worse with time, and presumably with rising temperature. After testing several minutes, I have seen single readings as high as 25% BER. It could be the radio too for all I know. Do you ever see occasional wild readings like that, even after optimizing the frequency?